Notices

IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars

Here is the deal, I have a 1997 civic ex with 50k miles on it, babied all of its "life" so I figure it is safe to boost 5-6psi, I will get tests done closer to the time when I purchase my turbo kit.

But here is my question, If I only boost 5-6 psi, and have it professionally tuned, and take good care of the motor (frequesnt oil changes etc.) will it be nearly as reliable as stock.

I always hear horror stories and stories about stuff not working right/ breaking on here, I dont know if that is because a lot of stuff breaks, or if it is because you guys dont tell us everyday that nothing has gone wrong so far.

Please help me out here, b/c I want to boost so badly, but I dont have a lot of money b/c I am a student right now, and I need to know if I will be able to afford it.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-08-2002, 06:36 PM

Default Re: IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars (Briman2021)

It's only as reliable as your tuning.....and some common sense
Old 09-08-2002, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the deal, I have a 1997 civic ex with 50k miles on it, babied all of its "life" so I figure it is safe to boost 5-6psi, I will get tests done closer to the time when I purchase my turbo kit.

But here is my question, If I only boost 5-6 psi, and have it professionally tuned, and take good care of the motor (frequesnt oil changes etc.) will it be nearly as reliable as stock.

I always hear horror stories and stories about stuff not working right/ breaking on here, I dont know if that is because a lot of stuff breaks, or if it is because you guys dont tell us everyday that nothing has gone wrong so far.

Please help me out here, b/c I want to boost so badly, but I dont have a lot of money b/c I am a student right now, and I need to know if I will be able to afford it.

Thanks!!!
Installation/tuning is the key to all of this. I had a friend with a 1994 Civic Si hatchback (same engine as you), who ran 10psi everyday for two years. Totally stock engine, with a DRAG II kit. The car flew for what it was, and lasted a LONG time until it let loose because of bad maintenence.

A conservative setup of 5-6psi will be fine for you. Install the kit the right way, and while you're enjoying it, start saving your pennies for a rainy day when you decide you want to crank the boost up and build the internals of the engine.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:07 PM

Default Re: IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars (HybridKOOP)

I had a friend with a 1994 Civic Si hatchback (same engine as you), who ran 10psi everyday for two years. Totally stock engine, with a DRAG II kit..
what a fool.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:09 PM

Default Re: IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars (HybridKOOP)

whats maintenence(sp?) has to be done with a turbo?
Old 09-08-2002, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars (CzanSOHC)

what a fool.
Sent you a PM, not going to lose a percentage point on here for calling you what I'm about to in private.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:41 PM
New User

Default Re: IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars (Hellz99si)

installation and tuning is the key.

[Modified by dlplayboy, 9:43 PM 9/8/2002]
Old 09-09-2002, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars (Hellz99si)

It's only as reliable as your tuning.....and some common sense

Cool!!!

So you are saying as long as I run good gas (93 octane) and only boost 5-6 psi, and make sure to check the oil and stuff like that, I should be fine. Also, how long should I let my turbo cool down.

If you just give me some examples of differents situations and the corresponding cool down times, I would appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 03:13 AM
New User

Bump
Old 09-10-2002, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when it comes down to cooling, get a turbo timer. After hard runs i would set the timer for 5min. Short run to the store i wouldn't even set the timer as long as i stayed out of boost. Average driving around town i set it for 2min. That's just me, i think i was setting it the right length of time, if not somebody else also give him some examples. Also, regular oil changes will do you much good.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars (autoEXturbo)

[QUOTE]when it comes down to cooling, get a turbo timer. QUOTE]

Or do what i do... sit in the car. haha

My turbo is also water cooled, so i really don't have to sit in the car for too long.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars (zojirushi)

you know what though, even with my damn turbo timer i have to sit in my car. My damn alarm won't arm itself, so i have to wait and arm it after it goes off. Sucks, cause the one night i forgot to come back out and arm the alarm, that's when they broke in my car.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS there a lt of addition maintainence with turbo cars (autoEXturbo)

Thats one of the reasons why i won't install my greddy turbo timer. The other is i got this thing used... and the wires intimidate me. ehehe
Old 09-10-2002, 10:00 AM

Thanks!!!
i have a 97 civic ex with 138k miles. started boosting at 120k. it is almost a year now running 5psi daily and running it hard all the time. no maintence except cleaning your ic fins when you wash your car and make sure to put good oil in it. other than that have fun.

[Modified by CovertFI, 1:00 PM 9/10/2002]