Notices

Is there an idiot's guide to gauge wiring online?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there an idiot's guide to gauge wiring online?

I need to do the wiring for my EGT, oil pressure, and boost controller. I think the cleanest way is to use the fuse box, but I don't know what to buy. I assume they all have power, ground, and illumination wires, and that's it other than the wiring harness plugs, etc. Do I solder similar wires together, solder each set of 3 onto a larger gauge wire, then crimp a special fuse box plug on the end, and plug the power and illumination directly into the fuse box without an inline fuse? Or is there an existing fuse protecting the corresponding slot? Any help would be appreciated, especially if you could give me a link to pics. I want to take my time and do a professional looking install. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is there an idiot's guide to gauge wiring online? (B16A Grenade)

When you get your gauges it will look like a **** load of wires. For my 3 gauges it had a total of 11 wires. I found the best way is to use black tape and loom the wires off each gauges which need to be routed to certain areas together.

My gauges needed postive and ground for illumination. I basically used black tape to loom these together so it looks cleaner. Then did the same for all there gagues. So now when Im routing wires it like i'm only routing 3 instead of 6 wires.

For me finding power for illumination was easy cause when I put my EG audio console in it doesn't use ashtray light. So I simply ran my illumination wires to that and sautered them in.

Besides illumination my gagues required one constant V12 source and a ACC switched 12v source. So I busted out my helms manual and a test light and found what optional ports i could use on my fuse box. I then got some i think 16 gauge power wire (i think 16 gauge) put a female spade connector on it for both +V12 sources and once again loomed them together with black tape so it looks cleaner and easier to route. After that I just sautered them to my gagues and BAM! working gagues.

Here are a few pics if my explanation is kind of confusing

Almost finished just need my cup holder

Old 10-22-2004, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Is there an idiot's guide to gauge wiring online? (eddyboy)

hold on is that in an EG??, that looks great, if it is an eg then you had to modify the bottom part where the cupholders used to go, whered you get that cdplayer relocation console???
Old 10-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, your rockin the skunk 2 shift **** too. . .
Old 10-22-2004, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Is there an idiot's guide to gauge wiring online? (blackcivic95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackcivic95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hold on is that in an EG??, that looks great, if it is an eg then you had to modify the bottom part where the cupholders used to go, whered you get that cdplayer relocation console??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it is a EG hatch. You just need to buy a the optional audio console.
I got mine off Ebay. Around 125 dollars.

Here is a thread which shows what people have done with it.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=635025
Old 10-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great man, those are my gauges too! I bought a brand new scratched Autometer bezel, sent it back for replacement, and received another scratched one! It pisses me off that I spent $70 on the thing, but oh well. Great ideas about looming the wires together. I wonder if those "accordian" style looms would be too bulky for looming? Electrical tape always falls off and makes a mess after a while. So those are just ordinary female spade connectors plugged into the fuse box unfused?

BTW, that Skunk2 **** looks different than mine. Is it an older or newer model?

I really appreciate your help, and it was cool of you to post pics!
Old 10-26-2004, 05:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16A Grenade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks great man, those are my gauges too! I bought a brand new scratched Autometer bezel, sent it back for replacement, and received another scratched one! It pisses me off that I spent $70 on the thing, but oh well. Great ideas about looming the wires together. I wonder if those "accordian" style looms would be too bulky for looming? Electrical tape always falls off and makes a mess after a while. So those are just ordinary female spade connectors plugged into the fuse box unfused?

BTW, that Skunk2 **** looks different than mine. Is it an older or newer model?

I really appreciate your help, and it was cool of you to post pics!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes those are just ordinary femaile spade connectors you just need to get the right size. Right now the connections are unfused, i'm not sure if i'm gonna make a inline fuse for them or not.

As for the shift **** i'm not too sure. I did get it this year from one of our sponsors on HT. Robearacing I belive he had a deal for Skunk ****, ES bushings, and Skunk Shifter dual bend.

GL
Old 10-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone else have sort of more clearer how to for this...thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Is there an idiot's guide to gauge wiring online? (kcjohnnyboy)

Really there is not too much to this project. The hardest thing to do is figuring out where to get all the different power sources need for the gauge. Other that that all you do is sauter wires together and thats it.

To figure out where to get all the different power sources you need a wiring diagram or better yet a HELMS manual.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how did u mount ur cd player in there ? any pictures?