Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Is there any advantage to using a B16 Intake Manifold vs. a Type R one in FI world? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/there-any-advantage-using-b16-intake-manifold-vs-type-r-one-fi-world-3331473/)

BlueSi88 12-14-2018 07:33 AM

Is there any advantage to using a B16 Intake Manifold vs. a Type R one in FI world?

I'm trying too see which manifold would be better for my b16 turbo build. I have a guy trading me some wheels I have for a type r manifold. All the post's I've been seeing have been for all motor builds but not any turbo builds. I'm just curious as to which one would be better for turbo. I know the b16 they say is better for low to mid range but the type r is better for higher top end. Now I would think that the turbo would pick up some the low end power lost with the type r manifold providing it spools up fast enough but any other thoughts would be appreciated. I plan on upgrading my cams to skunk2 and a skunk2 valvetrain as well. Thanks guys

umair 12-14-2018 07:53 AM

re: Is there any advantage to using a B16 Intake Manifold vs. a Type R one in FI world?

The type r manifold is not gonna give you much of a difference. If you had a gsr mani it would be a different story.

TheShodan 12-14-2018 08:31 AM

Re: b16 vs type r

Yeah, this won't change anything. It's not NA, where you're scavaging for every bit of air in vacuum to go into the combustion chamber.

You've got MANY other things to worry about than this component.

depending on purpose, power & goals. You won't need Skunk2 camshafts.. You need to really have a good solid plan together, before you worry about camshafts or other "fun" components you would normally worry about in NA world.

Once you layout a solid plan, we can assist more.

K7-1Ktrevor 12-15-2018 11:28 AM

Re: Is there any advantage to using a B16 Intake Manifold vs. a Type R one in FI worl

I would say it depends on overall total hp your shooting for. The type r intake manifold will definitely have an advantage from 7500-9000 or so so if your running a high hp b16 it would be good to use to help carry the powerband up higher. The b16 intake manifold would be more idea for a 250-350whp turbo b16 and would help a bit with throttle response and low end torque which those motors don't have anyways.

Balor_Gr 12-15-2018 12:15 PM

Re: Is there any advantage to using a B16 Intake Manifold vs. a Type R one in FI worl

From a power per money point of view no.
For example if you gonna go JB turbo and intake mani it would be better to spend that 400$ youd buy
an intake mani to uphrade to a good GTX or EFR or other ball bearing turbo NO MATER THE POWER TARGET.
If you want midpower , ill call it transient responce better, and allready have ball bearing in the budget
and allready have CSS or sleeves and all the other stuff go for a TWIN SCROLL G25 or EFR.
Youll destroy every other guy with open scroll and intake mani ;). Id say kelford 176-T is a better player on the mid range from intake mani too.

If you are not budget resrticted, id say go for it.Everything counts.

TheShodan 12-15-2018 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr (Post 51806860)
From a power per money point of view no.
For example if you gonna go JB turbo and intake mani it would be better to spend that 400$ youd buy
an intake mani to uphrade to a good GTX or EFR or other ball bearing turbo NO MATER THE POWER TARGET.
If you want midpower , ill call it transient responce better, and allready have ball bearing in the budget
and allready have CSS or sleeves and all the other stuff go for a TWIN SCROLL G25 or EFR.
Youll destroy every other guy with open scroll and intake mani ;). Id say kelford 176-T is a better player on the mid range from intake mani too.

If you are not budget resrticted, id say go for it.Everything counts.

I'll take that bet

Balor_Gr 12-16-2018 04:28 AM

I know thats why i like you. :)
Its almost impossible tho. Youll either have longer mani so gasses will have to travel 2 lengths to contaminate the other cylinder
or use water meth+small mani + small cams +high boost (euro style combo) for the same transient response. All that comparing similar turbosize and power level setups.
You may end up at the same power mid range with a single scroll but vacuum to the first 3-5 psi is always better on the twin scroll.
Transient will be better and less exaust gasses going contaminating the other cylinders.

IF money and my life permits it ill try the medium turbo - big cam - twin scroll theory of course with shortest possible manifold
not that BS super long TS manifolds that defeat the purpose... Since reverse rotation is BETTER for manifold length on hondas
and garrett is releasing reverse rotation TS turbos ill probaly wait for the G30-G35 version to try it. Im geting dangerously close on getting married tho
and i have a feeling that "time is fading" on super spending haha.