Notices

thanks HT for all ur help...but i'm having problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks HT for all ur help...but i'm having problems

First off...i would like to say thank you to the FI forum. the search is not only to search....but its RE- search. u all may not know, but you've helped because i've been readig alot of archieved topics which lead me to finish my turbo project.

i came into this world not knowing much about boost. but for the whole summer... i've learned just enough to get my car up and running. of course i had a few friends that helped...(thanks cinq).

I wanted to stay away from making threads just to see how far i could get w/ just archieved topics...but i'm afraid my journey ends here...i'm in desperate need...and i just couldn't find the problem through search any longer.

first off...my set up.

stock 92 jdm b16
type R intake manifold
fmax turbo manifold
turbonetic t3t4 ceramic bearing
35mm tial waste gate .5 spring
not sure wut type of intercooler
hks blow off valve
450 dsm w/ radio shack resistor
fuel management crome
255 walbro fuel pump
stan oil lines
ngk step 7 colder spark plugs gaped at .30
2.5 down pipe 2.25 exhaust no cat (dont ask why i got 2.25...long story)

now that we have the set up...here are the problems i've ran into that i could not research

first off...bad starts. i have to hold the gas pedal down to start. it also takes long to start. i would say i hear the motor cranking 5 times?

second....sometiemes the car idles bad...and in some cases...it would be so bad that the car would just shut off when i'm coasting to a stop...or i'm sitting at a stop light.

third...i have cel lights. i tried looking these up..but it didn't make any sense. here is how my car blinks

turn the key, cell light goes off. then 1 quick flash. long pause. then 1 long flash followed by 9 quick flashes.
according to honda tech. those would read code 1 and code 19. i have an oxygen sensor..so why 1. why 19? this isn't an automatic? unless i'm reading it all wrong???

ok....so now u have my set up..and the problems w/ my car. can you help me solve these problems? i'm thinking bad injectors? or resistor gets too hot then it acts up? i find these problems to occur around the day time. at nite...when its a cool breeze...i dont get rough idleing. but my cel lights are really strange.

again..thanks FI H-T
Old 08-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: thanks HT for all ur help...but i'm having problems (krazn)

this may not be helpful at all, but you sound like you have a problem with your tune.

are you using someone elses rom?
Old 08-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thanks HT for all ur help...but i'm having problems (twkdCD595)

well..i also thought it mite needed more fine tuning. i'm running crome. so u think after fine tuning the problem mite go away? i was gonna take a trip to jeff to see...but i wanted to make sure all my problems were solved before i take my car to him.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:01 AM

No expert here, but sounds like a tune.

Also TPS affects idle, so it could be out of adjustment.

Your O2 could be bad.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant say for sure cause I am no expert, but IMO the hard start, idle problems, etc will be solved by tuning.

the cels probably will not though and could be from a wrong option or whatnot when burning the rom... some rom editors can turn on and off functions/ options and cause errors/ cels. (ie uberdata can turn off o2 sensors, knock sensors, etc in its options)

edit: 02 could be bad from the rough tune also as said above.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I skipped a tooth on my timing belt and very slightly bent all the valves, and it caused my car to die occasionally at idle and become harder to start(3-4 cranks).

So, yeah, I'd say check your tuning and your head...
Old 08-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thanks HT for all ur help...but i'm having problems (Hawkze_2.3)

i dont think i have bent valves...cause this problem occured right away after the turbo install.

thanks for all the replys... so i guess ill wait for my appt w/ jeff to do fine tuning. as of right now...everything runs really well. smooth transition of vtec and boost. the a/f meter reads a lil rich...but everything feels good for now. just bad starts rough idle and occassional shut down is a bit annoying.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:41 AM

did you install check valves or a missing link when you installed the turbo? that could explain the cel, but not your idle and starting problems
Old 08-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thanks HT for all ur help...but i'm having problems (shibby)

If you are running crome, simply disable the O2 sensor, and see if that gets rid of your CELs, once the cels are cleared, you can work on your idle problem if it is still there. Also sounds like you might be having closed loop problems so you might try disabling closed loop (or debug mode in crome) and see if that solves your problems