Notices

Thanks for the help! now...Apexi V-AFC - Needed??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the help! now...Apexi V-AFC - Needed??

Thanks for the help with my pervious post regarding if I should start off with the JRSC boost upgrade or just chill with 6psi for a while, I ordered just the JRSC today along with a oil filter relocation kit (make changing it a little easier), and a 255lph fuel pump.

Here is my next question -
Since I talked to the guys at hondata and they said my car might not pass a visual inspection because I would not have an ODBII port on the ECU, I have decided against getting a hondata. As much as I would like one my goal is to build a car that will pass the CA smog laws with flying colors at any station I may chose to go to. So I need a way to make sure that my MAP sensor doesn’t throw a cel, and a Apexi V-AFC will piggy back on my ECU so that it can "see" boost correct?
It should also help me adjust the fuel in case it is running lean when its in boost and let me set the VTEC RPM to a setting where it may never activate (I don’t want VTEC while under boost correct?).

Is this the right route?

Also what is a FMU? I read that its a Fuel Management Unit but don’t quite understand the purpose of it, do I need one?
Old 05-29-2002, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thanks for the help! now...Apexi V-AFC - Needed?? (FMXer)

The only way an AFC will keep your ECU from seeing boost is if you're running large(440-450cc) injectors, since you'll need to set the AFC at about -40 across the board to idle them. The negative AFC setting in turn cuts back on the MAP sensor voltage the ECU gets, and you'd be good up to about 9-10psi. The AFC doesn't keep your ECU from seeing boost, per se, but rather modifies your MAP signal when it trims or adds fuel, and thus a negative setting would trim the MAP signal. If you were to add fuel, then it would be increasing the MAP signal, which may cause you to throw a code.

Yes, it can adjust fuel and VTEC engagement(V-AFC). Whether you want VTEC engaged under boost is up to you. I personally don't see anything wrong with having VTEC in combination with boost, but it presents a tuning challenge.

An FMU, or fuel management unit, is usually a rising rate regulator tha raises fuel pressure a certain amount per pound of boost. A typical 12:1 would raise fuel pressure 12psi per pound of boost. These are usually used with stock injectors, and need an inline pump to feed them with the high pressures they need. If you go with larger injectors and an intank pump, you do not need an FMU.