Notices

TDC and cam signals

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDC and cam signals

Hi folks, turbotr here in TX. I'm installing a FAST (Speedpro) ecu onto a supercharged Integra and have a question regarding some of the distributor signals. The engine is a B20 and has a GSR distributor. Jackson racing blower. Question is, what is the intended range for the TDC signal to occur in CAD? Eyeballing carefully, it seems to be a range of about ~ 5 or so deg BTDC to about 25-30 deg BTDC, depending on how the distributor housing is rotated. Near the more advanced range the rotor phasing becomes more and more unfavorable. I'm fine with all that, assuming it's correct, but what bugs me is that several experts are telling me that a system that wants reference pulses to occur at about 50-60 deg BTDC drops right on here with no problems. Hmmm, something is wrong. Can I get some input here?

Also, it looks to me like the cam signal (the 1x signal) will occur about 90 deg or so CAD before the #4 TDC pulse? TIA!!

TurboTR

Old 04-18-2002, 05:43 PM
New User

Default Re: TDC and cam signals (turbotr)

I am also in the process of intalling a Speedpro computer on my Si right now. I have the honda harness, but the distributer plug on the wiring harness doesn't fit the distributer plug off the car. The plug on the speedpro harness is a grey plug with 2 black and 2 red wires. Did you have to get a special plug or do you need to rewire it?
Old 04-18-2002, 07:24 PM

Default Re: TDC and cam signals (blownsi)

you want to have it completely retarded then adjust the ref. angle in the software....

[Modified by hondaswaper, 4:26 AM 4/19/2002]
Old 04-18-2002, 07:27 PM

Default Re: TDC and cam signals (hondaswaper)

is your box squential?
Old 04-18-2002, 08:09 PM

Default Re: TDC and cam signals (hondaswaper)

Well let's see. The FAST sequential ecu with inductive pickup is a delayed spark approach, so the ref pulses by definition need to be ahead of the spark output. So what the box wants in this case is to have the ref pulses (TDC pulses) occur at the max anticipated timing value + some margin, say 10 deg. So if the max timing we program into this engine at cruise is, say for example 35 deg then we need the ref pulses to occur at 35 + 10 = 45 deg BTDC.

That said, how does the above point to needing to have the ref pulses delayed as much as possible, fully retarded? Can you explain please?

I can send the ecu in to have it changed to a leading spark approach, in which case the ref pulses at 10 deg BTDC would be perfect. But I need to bottom out on the why's of this 1st.

Also, what is the factory setting for the TDC pulses?? TIA!

And regarding the connector mentioned above, we're going to use the generic standalone harness. Any connectors that need changing will just get changed

TurboTR
Old 04-18-2002, 08:53 PM

Default Re: TDC and cam signals (turbotr)

you want the distributor completely retarded , then we have the crank ref angle at 53 degrees with the cams strait up......then U gun it and see if it matches what you have on your timing table.... if it doesnt match then u adjust the reference angle until they match.....ohh yea , the honda cam sensor works fine without any adjustment (sequential)