Notices

Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided

Are there any pro's and con's to each of those turbine housings? Which one would you prefer over the other, why or why not? Thanx
Old 01-02-2004, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (onetwothree)

Nevermind I found the answer. For those that are curious:

When a divided housing is used, usually cylinders 1 and 4 are fed into one side of the scroll and cylinders 2 and 3 are fed into the other side. The cylinders fed into each side of the scroll are as far apart in the firing order as possible. This allows the turbine to be hit with 4 distinct pulses as the engine goes through its firing order. This improves turbine efficiency.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beleive you can also change the effective A/R by grinding the tang away and/or altering it's shape. Not sure but but might be usefull, anyone else hear of this?
Old 01-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't run the divided housing, its supposed to help w/ spool up but it kills the top end.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (DIRep972)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't run the divided housing, its supposed to help w/ spool up but it kills the top end.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Really? Is that possibly one of the reason's my torque is falling off after 6700?
My new turbo is being built right now. I hope it will help...if not its time for an intake manifold.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (uglyasscivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uglyasscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Really? Is that possibly one of the reason's my torque is falling off after 6700?
My new turbo is being built right now. I hope it will help...if not its time for an intake manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's possible, but it could be alot of things. your making a **** load of power and torque though, doesn't look like its hurting you too much.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is way over my head. Please show me a picture of a Tang.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:53 PM

Why is it killing top end?
Old 01-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (ZoRG)

Perhaps because there is a 1/4" thick plate going across the turbine inlet This sounds like a canidate for de-tanging....or just get a new housing...
Old 01-02-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (Bailhatch)

Cant be that... if you look at the size of a divided housing, it is a T4 flange, this is larger than a T3, I am talking specifically on a SC61, since this is available in both options... so howcome the T3 style turbine housing does not kill top end, but a tangential T4 does???
Old 01-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uglyasscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My new turbo is being built right now. I hope it will help...if not its time for an intake manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It would help if we knew when you were shifting while racing. But on another note, if your torque hasnt dropped before you shift, you arent revving high enough... so if you are revving to 8k you should be fine, but if you are revving to say 10K+ you might be missing some power there.

Although you are running 10's in a civic so unless you're out to take on the world, you should be ok

Hey Chris; where did you learn that divided exhaust housings(that use cyl firing order) kill top end? Its obvious that it would help spool time, but i'm trying to figure out how that would hurt high rpm power.

The only reason i could think of is that since it's divided there is less surface area inside the turbo/manifold. As opposed to having one great big opening that would theoretically flow more cfm......
Old 01-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (Boltz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boltz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The only reason i could think of is that since it's divided there is less surface area inside the turbo/manifold. As opposed to having one great big opening that would theoretically flow more cfm...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i was saying. it's not just one opening, plus maybe the turbulance of the gasses having to go to either side makes it lose efficency when the flow gets higher. Unless your using a split manifold to gather the exhaust pulses the theoretical advantage of this design seems like a restriction to me. I sure woulden't just weld in a plate across any exhaust pipe on my car.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is way over my head. Please show me a picture of a Tang.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tang = tangential housing - a housing where the inlet appears as a tangent coming off the housing/turbine. This is opposed to an on-center housing.

And yes, if you use a divided turbine housing without a properly divided collector on your turbo manifold, then it will provide no benefit. The divided housing itself won't be a restriction or efficiency killer if properly applied.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is some more info from a few months back-

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=578915

Ben
Old 01-02-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (hpfsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hpfsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Tang = tangential housing - a housing where the inlet appears as a tangent coming off the housing/turbine. This is opposed to an on-center housing.

And yes, if you use a divided turbine housing without a properly divided collector on your turbo manifold, then it will provide no benefit. The divided housing itself won't be a restriction or efficiency killer if properly applied.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh, i was thinking pooty tang.

Old 01-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (lazerus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh, i was thinking pooty tang. </TD></TR></TABLE>

didn't want anyone grinding on the wrong pooty...
Old 01-03-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (hpfsi)

I thought I had an answer but am now more confused on what to purchase.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided

Anyone have dyno charts comparing divided and undivided turbine housing? Like for instance drag, greddy, revhard, or your custom turbo kit. I'd like to see the difference. Also explain what kind of setup you have, please. This would be relatively good information if one could compare side-by-side.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know Lisa Kubo used to run a Divided housing to help spool her gigantic turbo...

However, I'm not sure if she still does.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Tang/divided vs. Tang/undivided (ZoRG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZoRG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cant be that... if you look at the size of a divided housing, it is a T4 flange, this is larger than a T3, I am talking specifically on a SC61, since this is available in both options... so howcome the T3 style turbine housing does not kill top end, but a tangential T4 does???</TD></TR></TABLE>

The T3 housing does hurt top end a lil bit on the SC61, there is alot of potential still left in it w/ a T4 housing.. A housing being tangential is a good thing. It helps the exhaust flow into/through the housing more smoothly. The divided housing hurts top end because there is so much more surface area to cause back pressure. that same resistance is what allows it to spool the turbo faster though. Ive talked to a few people about it and read some reviews by supra owners and the verdict is that it is not worth the trade off. and if your manifold is not designed for it then definitly dont want to run it.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:39 AM

I see what you are saying ... so a divided housing is not more efficient then ... it only seems to shift your powerband... If you run a big turbo and you are not maxing it out then a tangential housing will help, but if you are maxing out your turbo you will reduce your upper powerband, or will you actually loose power? Seems to me that instead of boosting to 9k, you will only get to 8,8k? but with the same power?
Old 01-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's possible, but it could be alot of things. your making a **** load of power and torque though, doesn't look like its hurting you too much.</TD></TR></TABLE>I have been doing some testing. At 15psi torque does not drop until 9200 rpm but at 30 psi toque falls on its face after 7200.
At the drags strip in forth gear I rev to about 9500 rpm. Sure I might be making 600 hp at 7800 rpm but I am making 550 at 9500.
I personally think its the 60-1 and the divided housing combined.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:06 PM

That sounds more like the compressor cant flow enough air @ 30psi. I don't know if the devided housing has anything to do with it, since they usually have a higher A/R anyways.