Notices

taking forever to spool....possable leak? (kinda long...sorry)

Old 06-14-2003, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking forever to spool....possable leak? (kinda long...sorry)

well i have a d16z6 w/ greddy turbo kit. stock dp ... 3" exhaust and no cat... blah blah on 10psi. i have the stock 2" pipes that come with the old school non IC greddy kit... and i have a 1st generation dsm smic. the inlet and outlet on the ic are only 1.75" . when i ran 5psi on this engine with this kit.. no ic . stock crx cat, and 2 1/4" exhaust it started pulling and spooling like 2600 rpm. reaching full boost at like 3300 or so... now it starts spooling at like 2700ish... gets to about 4 or 5psi at like 3600.... then hesitates and the turbo sound gets louder and it keeps building... then goes to 10psi pretty fast.....

like it gets to 5psi decent, chills for a sec. then pulls hard as hell fast as hell to 10. but doesnt hit 10 psi until like 4600 or so.......that is in 3rd and 4th gear. it doesnt hit 10psi til like 5k rpm or so in 1st and 2nd. or maybe the gear is just going to fast to watch.

anyway. i was wondering if this delayed full boost thing could be from the tiny IC IL/ OL . or maybe i have a small leak somewhere. it was leaking at the weld on the bov and was worse, but i fixed that. i KNOW it isnt leaking at anyof the pipe connections... when i put the dsm ic on, i hit one of the brackets on it with a hammer like an idiot to bend it out of the way and bent the side of the ic a little... think i might have created a tiny leak there... and thats why it hesitates? like it can hold to 4 or 5psi fine, then it is still building steady, but takes extra boost to get past what is leaking out? i am thinking about putting the J pipe back in the IC place just to see if it could be leaking or not. sorry its so long. just frustrating that i have a small turbo and the bitch doesnt spool til top end...
Old 06-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: taking forever to spool....possable leak? (SOHC Beast)

nobody huh? guess ill have to do some work and see if i can find the problem on my own..
Old 06-15-2003, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody?
Old 06-15-2003, 01:05 PM

Airflow at 4000 rpm is half the airflow at 7000 rpm........to keep the same PSI while the valves open almost twice the times, the turbo must work a lot harder......

If you sum up the IC pressure drop + small greddy turbine + a boost leak or even various boost leaks, do the math = no pressure

My friends WRX blew an oem gasket that joined both cilinder heads, and you could hear the turbo overspoolin like mad........he was running 20 psi, I we almost blow the **** out the turbo.........

Have the intercooler checked for leaks, and check the piping, as loose silicone couples will slide off if they are not tight.

Hope this helps.