Notices

Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task

Old 04-27-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task

update: tried many of these methods and still wont come off... scroll down to see pics and discription of my progress

I bought two different tools to pull apart balljoints... still can't get the freakin lower front suspention ball joints off

the Helms only says to pull them off (like I already know how)...

wtf... anyone have good methods or tricks to get these damn things off? maybe a good "how to" link would help?

once I get this block out to Earl I can hopefully post some good progress of my build...

thanks guys!

Modified by turbosi03 at 8:21 PM 4/29/2004
Old 04-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (turbosi03)

put the nut back on it and hit it wiht big hammer . It will them loosen and then you drop it down.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (turbosi03)

did you already **** up the balljoint boot? Jam the pickle fork in there and jump on it. BTW, those ball joints are $30 a side.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (Matt B)

I use to use a pickle fork until it fucked up my balljoints good. Now I use the ol' hammer trick. Also, if you do some searches you'll definitely find threads.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (sporkcrx)

I'd just take out the 14mm bolt that it is mounted to up by the axle. Then undo the tie rod and you can get the axle out. It takes a lil manuvering but you can do it. Then just beat the crap out of it till it comes off.

Good Luck

Blaze
Old 04-27-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (sporkcrx)

I Jack the the front suspension up then jam something hard between the bottom link and the back of the hub directly behind the ball joint boot then i remove the jack a jam down on the suspension with my foot and it pops right off.

I think i used the handle of the pickle fork last time it worked good.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:44 PM

tap on the threaded rod with a hammer. the shock will cause the A-arm to drop. Put your floor jack 1/4 of an inch belod the A-arm so it dosen't cause an accident.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: (infinatenexus)

hold the rotor up wit one hand and use other hand to hit the lower control arm wit a big hammer they come right out
Old 04-27-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: (infinatenexus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infinatenexus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tap on the threaded rod with a hammer. the shock will cause the A-arm to drop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just to warn someone if they try this, you can damage the threads easily.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93TurboSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I Jack the the front suspension up then jam something hard between the bottom link and the back of the hub directly behind the ball joint boot then i remove the jack a jam down on the suspension with my foot and it pops right off.

I think i used the handle of the pickle fork last time it worked good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i do the same but put a chisle in there, pops out every time

-joseph
Old 04-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

hit a hammer... hit the arm right next to where the ball joint goes in... dont hit the threads you will ruin the ball joint... you will be swinging the hammer horizontal hitting the arm... dont be sared to pound it... you will need to hit it HARD a couple times to pop it out... i do this daily at work... trust me..
Old 04-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (fullracegsr)

you've got the Honda BJ tool...use an impact on it.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: (fullracegsr)

god damn thanks everyone for the tips! so basically I spent $40 on ball joint tools for nothing... at this point I just want to get the things off.
well, need to go buy a big hammer because I only have a rubber malet...

93turbosi, thanks for taking the time to draw it out for me...

Old 04-27-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (b18bturbo)

sledge hammer that LCA. then lightly tap the bolt
Old 04-27-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (hybridvteceg)

you can also have a friend jump on it.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:38 PM

or if you can't get it, put the castle nut back on and take out the 3 lca bolts under the chasis and the whole assembly will swing out so you can get the axle out
Old 04-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (averageJoe)

put it back on and remove the two 17mm bolts from the top by the shock tower
Old 04-28-2004, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedej1)

You need a BFH ( Big F**king Hammer), although it may be hard and stuck even with hammer. If your ball joint is already ripped, just jammed that pickle fork in there and hammer it in until it popped, otherwise you may need to put a spcaer on the tool that you bought to even out the distance between the lower and upper arms.

Also, when you hammer it, make sure that someone is pulling UP the whole assembly, otherwise, it will not popped. Try to soak the ball joint area with either WD40 or PB Blaster for 15 minutes or so, maybe that'll break the gums between them

good luck,

Stan
Old 04-28-2004, 02:17 AM

I got the same exact tool and iva had no problem taking out any balljoint. You must be positioning it wrong. That hammer **** reminds me of the mechanic i knew who used a hammer from everything. Freking idiots ended up busting up my strut bolt and shattering my inboard CV Joint.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (Revi-Ra)

If you don't want to damage anything And don't want to buy replacement parts Then you should see two bolts(maybe three) on the control arm. If you take those out, the whole assembly drops down. You can easily wiggle the axles out at this point.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (FwdCivicHatch)

^^^ YUP!! you beat me to it there are 3 bolts towards the back of the lca, works for me every time, you dont need to touch the balljoints
Old 04-28-2004, 08:27 AM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (Zackyt)

i just did the old hammer trick.. i put something in between the balljoint and lower control arm and pry up while i beat that bitch with a hammer..it will come out
Old 04-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (93TurboSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93TurboSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I Jack the the front suspension up then jam something hard between the bottom link and the back of the hub directly behind the ball joint boot then i remove the jack a jam down on the suspension with my foot and it pops right off.

I think i used the handle of the pickle fork last time it worked good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is how I do it as well. I got the idea from this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=446576

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave-ROR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, follow these instructions to the letter.

We-Todd-Did-Racing LBJ method:
Required Tools:
6 pack of beer (your choice of brand), cans preferred.
Hydraulic Jack
1/2" drive Craftsman rachet
2 40oz malt beverage bottles (or a set of jack stands)

1. Jack up the car and put it on the 40oz malt beverage bottles (or jack stands).
2. that was a lot of work, enjoy a cold brew.
3. Take off the wheel.
4. remove cotter pin.
5. remove castle nut
6. time for another brew.
7. place jack saddle under hub area of rotor (not on the lugs)
8. jack up the hub assembly enough to fit the 1/2" drive rachet next to the ball joint with the "wide" side of the handle vertical (ie, rotated 90 degrees)
9. hold rachet in place (unless it is close enough to stay by itelf, in that case, drink a beer and continue)
10. release jack pressure (ie, lower it quickly)
11. drink another beer.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was stuck on this same exact thing when i was taking my motor out... the drivers side ball joint would NOT come loose. I ended up getting the silver fork thing and using that to get it loose, but it was a huge pain in the *** and sort of expensive..... just keep working on it.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task (keithv)

have someone pick up the rotor to even it out straight .
then have someone and hit that **** with a hammer and
it will come right off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking the block out for overbored sleeves... stuck on simple task