Notices

Take a Look at my surge tank design (pro's & Cons?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take a Look at my surge tank design (pro's & Cons?)

This is my surge thank I am going to weld this week. A walbro 255LPH HP fuel pump is going to be placed in the surge tank. And my stock carb fuel pump is going to feed the surge tank from the stock possition. The surge tank is going to be placed in the engine bay or behind the rear bumper depends on how anoying the sound of a walbro is in the surge tank.

I am doing this because I swaped my Carbed D13 engine for a B18c efi and I don't wanna swap the fuel tank and this way I overcome fuel pickup issues. I fried 2 intank walbro's already because of running below 1/4 fuel tank.

Anyone have pics of engine bay surge tank setups?? post it here.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:07 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Take a Look at my surge tank design (Vtechology)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtechology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am doing this because I swaped my Carbed D13 engine for a B18c efi and I don't wanna swap the fuel tank and this way I overcome fuel pickup issues. I fried 2 intank walbro's already because of running below 1/4 fuel tank</TD></TR></TABLE>

im just wondering what car you got a 1.3 carbed motor from? and if the car was carburatoer then i assume you used an entire chassis harness to make it work...
Old 11-16-2004, 06:27 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks pretty good I would not put the port directly on top but on the side Also how do you plan to get the pump inside the can? I would go w/an external pump if I were you.
This site is helpfull
http://toyotaperformance.com/surge_tank.htm
Old 11-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Take a Look at my surge tank design (TurboBumblBee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboBumblBee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im just wondering what car you got a 1.3 carbed motor from? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Possibly it came in his Civic. It wouldn't be the first one I've seen.

If I were you, I'd find a way to measure the volume of fuel that the carby pump puts out to determine if it is up to the task at hand. I suggest getting 85-87 Si gas tank and dropping the Walbro into that. I have doubts how the surge tank - or more precisely carby fuel pump that feeds the Walbro - would hold up to forced induction fuel demands.

Is there anything wrong with a low-slung inline pump? I figured the old carby gas tanks would be ideal for a gravity feed setup like that. You could also use an inline old skool Accord or Volvo fuel pump as a gravity fed primer pump...

Old 11-16-2004, 07:59 AM

It's an import from europe or something like that. I already got the walbro intank fuel pump. So I will be using it. Maybe if the stock carb fuel pump aint up to the thask I'll get one of those cheap holey carb pumps.

I don't want to swap the gas tank cause I don't want to go look and pay for an SI gas tank. And as I said it will also help with fuel pickup.

I wired it like I was wirring a stand alone ecu. from sensor to ecu. looks clean and it works.

I am going to fab a sort of a lid on top of the tank with gasket.

Modified by Vtechology at 9:13 AM 11/16/2004
Old 11-16-2004, 08:30 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

"How are you going to get the pump into the surge tank?" this includes the wires
.....You cant!!!

Did you even bother to look at the link above or do you "have this covered"?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtechology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's an import from europe or something like that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I figured you were getting pimpy with one of the 84-87 Civic 1300 DX's. WTF car is this?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Take a Look at my surge tank design (J. Davis)

Yes I have that link covered already. let me try and draw for you hom I am planning to get the fuel pump in there.

The car is A 93 civic ex hatchback. Non us model I gues.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So surge tanks do not need to breathe?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Take a Look at my surge tank design (DIRep972)

Here is my design for the top lid

Old 11-16-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Take a Look at my surge tank design (slow poke)

Anyone think this would hold under the carb fuel pump pressure?? Any other ideas.?

Any pics of an engine bay surge tank setup? what about the sound level of a walbro in the engine bay?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:20 PM

anyone???
Old 11-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Take a Look at my surge tank design (J. Davis)

I'm guessing its a base model EG Civic...we got them in 1.3L carby in Australia as well in EG's...i think all EK's were EFI here though
Old 11-16-2004, 04:34 PM
igy
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Take a Look at my surge tank design (slow poke)

Looks like a sound design to me. There is no/very little pressure in the surge tank because it has a return line to the gas tank. Because there is no pressure the VOLUME of the carb fuel pump should be enough to keep the surge tank full. Remember the less pressure a pump has to create, the more volume it will provide.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:17 PM
2.7(p/t)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Take a Look at my surge tank design (igy)

Looks like a very interesting design, Seems like a solid idea to me, I guess it makes you appreicate the llater model fuel injected cars where just swapping out a pump is all that youll need to do.

Good luck

-s
Old 11-17-2004, 07:07 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: Take a Look at my surge tank design (igy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like a sound design to me. There is no/very little pressure in the surge tank because it has a return line to the gas tank. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes and how is it going to get back to the gas tank?...Gravity?...NO its PRESSURE.
There WILL BE PRESSURE!! I don’t know how much but it will be there and in all my days I have NEVER seen a surge tank with a pump inside it! Nor do I see tanks that come apart for that matter! They’re all welded and SEALED! You think they do that just so it looks nice? I also don’t believe you would pass a track inspection, or a real State inspection for that matter, with that setup.
It all comes down to the wires really. A properly made tank will screw together and hold the low pressure no problem i would think. Its just your rubber/w/metal stud idea that I don’t think is going to work (read: be safe) And I do not know of a fitting off the top of my head that would. There ARE ones that would work but there sealed with like hard plastic and would need to be in a screw or weld in type.
As stated before, I would just sell your pump and get an external one. Its not a big deal man and it would be WAY safer