Notices

T3 Turbo + B16A3

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T3 Turbo + B16A3

Hello All,

I am getting a T3 turbo, dunno the A/R or any of those numbers yet... I went thru the last 12 pages of this forum, so i could form an educated question. As I understand it, the T3 is a "smaller" turbo that will spool qwiker, but not have as much top end powa.

Now, the B16A3's VTEC doesnt even kick in till 5500. This is a top-end motor. Will using a T3 be a bad idea for this motor? Wont i have problems with the turbo spinning outta control at high rpms?

Also, the CR on this motor is pretty high, 10.4:1. I dont have the doh to do a full build at this time. Will boosting at like 6-7 psi be asking for trouble? Keep in mind that i will upgrade the ignition, fuel pump & FPR.

thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: T3 Turbo + B16A3 (CustomCockpits)

One of the larger T3's will work pretty good on that engine IF you can get the turbo cheap. If you're buying one new, there's no reason to not get a T3/T4. The T3 from the ~85 Ford Thunderbird/SVO is has a .63 a/r turbine housing, standard T3 turbine wheel with a 60 trim compressor wheel. Not sure about the a/r of the compressor housing.

T3 turbos came on A LOT of production cars (there are a lot of them on Saabs and Volvos), but they are on the small side. They usually have .48 a/r turbine housing, standard T3 turbine wheel, a .42 a/r compressor housing and either a 45 or 50 trim compressor wheel. I think those turbos are more suitable for the D series Hondas.

You can probably find the Ford turbo at a junkyard for $50.

Sonny
Old 06-07-2002, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: T3 Turbo + B16A3 (Sonny)

well, i am in transition from building a show car, and changing over to just building a damn car for ME, so i am trading my air ride kit for a T3 turbo, IC, Pipes, Missin Link, and all fittings + 500 bux and he pays all the shipping. He is still getting back to me on the list with the details so i know the AR and whatnot.

Once i know the details of the turbo i will be sure to add them here. But u dont think i will have a any trouble with the high CR and the high rev?