Notices

T25 on EJ8 D16y8 with A/C... Has it been done?

Old 03-13-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T25 on EJ8 D16y8 with A/C... Has it been done?

I want to run a T25 or something along the same size on my EJ8 w/D16Y8. I basically want something that gives me decent power on the highway or just light to light (spools quick, < 10psi). I haven't been able to find one setup where someone used a T25 and was able to keep A/C.
I've seen a couple threads here and there that say: "sure, maybe with some fabbing and bend this pipe this way and blah blah..." but that's all theory. I want to know if someone has actually accomplished this.

I live in Miami and I'm a heavy guy so A/C is a must. Only time I can leave it off is some days during "winter".

I really wanna find out if I can do this before i just cop out and get an expensive Header to replace my ebay header that is really annoying me (flange came crooked, leaks alot. Rattles like a ****).
Old 03-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will need to get a custom manifold made with a t25 flange welded on.
also you MAY have to remove the puller fan and install a pusher fan like i have
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

I was looking at your setup, how similar is the Precision SC 50 to a T25?

I wanna keep my setup under $1k. If it's near impossible to do... i don't know if i can do it for that cheap. Am I asking for too much?

Here is what i intended to start off with...

T25
HF/STD Mani (which it seems like i can't do with a/c)
DSM dumptube (maybe +flexpipe, if not custom)
Custom charge piping (maybe modified CAI tubing)
FMU
Oil Line Kit (maybe with filter relocation)

I do no plan on IC partly bc of price, mostly bc of A/C.

As you can see I don't want to majorly modify my car to the point of no return, and I don't wanna spend too much. At least not to start... I will eventually maybe up the boost to as much as stock internals can handle safely, and with that get 450 injectors and a vafc and i suppose figure out something for the timing.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Shreik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shreik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was looking at your setup, how similar is the Precision SC 50 to a T25?

I wanna keep my setup under $1k. If it's near impossible to do... i don't know if i can do it for that cheap. Am I asking for too much?

Here is what i intended to start off with...

T25
HF/STD Mani (which it seems like i can't do with a/c)
DSM dumptube (maybe +flexpipe, if not custom)
Custom charge piping (maybe modified CAI tubing)
FMU
Oil Line Kit (maybe with filter relocation)

I do no plan on IC partly bc of price, mostly bc of A/C.

As you can see I don't want to majorly modify my car to the point of no return, and I don't wanna spend too much. At least not to start... I will eventually maybe up the boost to as much as stock internals can handle safely, and with that get 450 injectors and a vafc and i suppose figure out something for the timing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the sc50 is very different from the t25
i suggest contacting project dc2 here and see what he can build for a t25 turbo.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

1k buget? wow

the sC50 IS ABOUT 700 shipped so good luck with that
Old 03-13-2006, 10:56 AM

Default Re: (Quad-Damage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1k buget? wow

the sC50 IS ABOUT 700 shipped so good luck with that</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, sorry. I didn't want an SC 50, I know Precision's stuff is a lil pricey (at least to me). I just haven't seen it before, and you can't see it well in his pics. I didn't have time to look it up (I'm at work... shhhh...).

Anyway, I was just wondering how similar it was in terms of orientation and size since it seems like igo4bmx was able to keep his A/C.

btw, I PMed project dc2. I'm waiting for a reply.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive got a ej8 w/d16y8, running a gt28r (very similar to the T25 as they are a part of the same family) with a GReddy "log" manifold and 2.5" downpipe AND am running ac. We had to clock the turbo (as everyone does) and its a real tight fit, but it DOES work.. just for your info..
Old 03-13-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Re: (sk8shorty012)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sk8shorty012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive got a ej8 w/d16y8, running a gt28r (very similar to the T25 as they are a part of the same family) with a GReddy "log" manifold and 2.5" downpipe AND am running ac. We had to clock the turbo (as everyone does) and its a real tight fit, but it DOES work.. just for your info..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't have a problem clocking it, just some minor disassembly. Did you have to do any other mods to get it to fit? Anything special with the adapter plate (or is that manifold made for that flange?)

If you have any pics of your setup that would help me out a lot.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The manifold was flanged for my turbo, so no adapter plate was needed. There was no other "mods" necessary, minus the typical clocking. My downpipe came on the driver's side (if sitting in the car). I cant get any better pics than what I have since im not at home during the week, ill get some up when I can..

Modified by sk8shorty012 at 6:16 PM 3/14/2006
Old 03-13-2006, 05:18 PM

i have a dohc zc with ac and the turbo is close to the ac but still have room. I hade to take the cover off the ac fan motor to give me some more room but thats about it. I'm running a ssauto chrome tube header and a t25 with internal waste gate. if you need pics of how close it is let me know
Old 03-13-2006, 07:37 PM

sk8shorty012, I can't tell how you have your charge piping routed to the IC. If you get a chance to take some close up pics I'd really apreciate it. If not, can you at least let me know where I can get that manifold, or what it's called.

btw, i'll say "fabbing" or something from now on since sk8shorty is mocking me for sayin "mods"

zcgod, if you have some pics that'd be great. I'm not sure how similar the ZC is to the D16y8 in that area, but it'll help to see how it's routed/oriented.

thx all, i have my hopes up now.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:06 AM

So, does anyone know where i can get that greddy manifold?
It's the one from the greddy turbo kit right?
I've searched everywhere i can think of and i can't seem to find much about it.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes people on here are parting thier kits out, ur best bet is to just scroll the classifieds, usually u can get a greddy turbo and a mani for a good deal
Old 03-14-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: (D15Bbigred)

It also seems like the mani from the edelbrock kit lets you keep A/C. They also use a nissan T25 which i was told wouldn't fit on a D16y8 w/ A/C... So i'm not sure what to think. Either way, I can't seem to find any Mani's from either kit, I guess i'll have to post WTB's everywhere.

Last option is to get project dc2 to fab one for me, but the turnaround time is pretty long and it's pricey for my budget.

For those who've run T25's with A/C... DSM or Nissan? It looks like the DSM is easier for non-IC and the Nissan for IC. And does anyone know if they fit the same on a Greddy or Edelbrock manifold (eg. would one style fit and not the other?)
Old 03-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres some pics for you man. If your looking to run a t25/t28, its definetly possible to keep your ac. It's really the manifold that affects fitment of everything. I've heard that the "log" style manifolds tend to make fitment easier when the ramhorn style don't (as they extrude more). Even if your turbo has the downpipe coming out toward the ac compressor, it's definetly possible. Nothing would've fit if I hadn't clocked the turbo though and just as a side note, it's an extremely tight fit as you can see (but possible). Just make sure to be precise when ordering things such as your charging piping, etc.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:55 PM

sk8shorty, you rock!

I just missed out on a T25 with O2 housing and BOV plus some other stuff i coulda resold... So i'm kinda bummed. I still can't seem to find any of those manifolds anywhere. I also read something about an Apexi Mani... But I can't even confirm it's existance.

I know finding these parts cheap is by luck, which sux, bc i don't wanna buy anything till I know i can afford all of it...

sk8, where did u get your mani from?

I don't really wanna end up getting an SSAC mani, I've heard nothing but bad things about them.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shreik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sk8shorty, you rock!

I just missed out on a T25 with O2 housing and BOV plus some other stuff i coulda resold... So i'm kinda bummed. I still can't seem to find any of those manifolds anywhere. I also read something about an Apexi Mani... But I can't even confirm it's existance.

I know finding these parts cheap is by luck, which sux, bc i don't wanna buy anything till I know i can afford all of it...

sk8, where did u get your mani from?

I don't really wanna end up getting an SSAC mani, I've heard nothing but bad things about them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got my manifold from a private sale on the classifieds on here. http://www.homemadeturbo.com is a good place to find the "log" style manifolds. It took me a couple months to piece everything together, but waiting & finding deals like a new GReddy RS bov for $100 shipped is worth it. Let me know if you need help with anything else, good luck with the project man
Old 03-14-2006, 09:29 PM

contact project dc2. he works for Spoolin Performance. He's making me my downpipe..im sure he can make you a good setup.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:07 PM

Default Re: (jeffk182)

I talked to him, he told me 4-5 weeks turnaround, and that's gonna be once i decide for sure... Plus his price is kinda high for my budget. He is pretty much a last resort at this point. If I was goin for high boost and big HP numbers, I'd go for his HQ stuff. But I'm lookin at starting around 7psi and not goin much higher.

I did appreciate his help though, he seems like a cool guy.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 AM

sk8shorty, does this look like the flange on your mani?

This guy says it's a T3 flange. But i think i read that the greddy kit T3 turbo has a special flange (t25 flange?).

Just let me know if you recognize it.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shreik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sk8shorty, does this look like the flange on your mani?

This guy says it's a T3 flange. But i think i read that the greddy kit T3 turbo has a special flange (t25 flange?).

Just let me know if you recognize it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Although that flange does look like the one on my manifold, I can't be 100% sure that it will bolt to your turbo correctly. If I were you, I'd buy the turbo first since the corresponding parts for your kit all rely on that. Make sure that it's at least a t25 flange (since that's what you want to go with) or at least reason with the seller to see if you test it out or something... (just verify your turbo flange to the mani flange pic)
Old 03-16-2006, 03:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shreik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

The guy confirmed it is actually a T25 flange and I now claim ownership. woot!

I gotta figure out how i'm gonna clean that thing...

Now for the T25 and O2 Housing... It seems like the Greddy O2 housing has a lower profile than the standard T25 O2 housing. Anyone know if the TD04 housing is the same as a T25? I'm gonna try to search around for that.