Notices

Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start?

well, wanted to try out something that has worked well for many people. Where would i even start? For example, how do you know what is required for the coil packs, lets say from MSD, and how would you figure out what size custom wires you should run and what company makes custom wires to fit you application.... this is for a k-serie smotor by the way... any feedback and links will be much appreciated
Old 08-14-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (Race *****)

i would like to know also, whats the benefit of running coil pack?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (tRaCeBuStA)

me too
Old 08-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (delslowh23)

All you need is an engine managment system that has 2 or more coil outputs to run a wasted spark setup or 4> for direct fire. An ignition box like the AEM C2DI or MSD's DIS4. You can use oem Denso honda cbr motorcyle coils or other oem cop have been successfully used. With the Denso coils you need to use a Denso Iridium plug or any type that has a screw off tip, on the other coils im not sure.
Thats the basics. You can go the extra mile and get some type of cam or crank sensor setup to lose the distributor.
Benefits would be. Stronger spark through load and rpm range. Individual cylinder tuning.

Modified by 93LSivic at 1:11 PM 8/15/2005

Modified by 93LSivic at 1:14 PM 8/15/2005
Old 08-15-2005, 07:43 AM
JL
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (Race *****)

if you're going to get the CBR coils then prepare to sit at the computer to bid for some on ebay i got tired of missing all the auctions and bought the first set that was "buy it now"
Old 08-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (JL)

Also get ready to spend some $$ on the spark plugs. They aren't cheap.

John
Old 08-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (Zubaltec)

probably not exactly what you were looking for....but its what im using

Old 08-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (93LSivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93LSivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You can go the extra mile and get some type of cam or crank sensor setup to lose the distributor.
Benefits would be. Stronger spark through load and rpm range. Individual cylinder tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should be able to do individual cylinder trim with the distributor as well. All you're doing is delaying the time the ecu sends the output to fire for that cylinder.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should be able to do individual cylinder trim with the distributor as well. All you're doing is delaying the time the ecu sends the output to fire for that cylinder. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I should have put the benefits directly after the basic needs, and then posted about the extra's to lose the distrubutor, lol.
By the way, TONY1 just so happens to make a really nice cam gear with the pickups and a hall effect sensor for those looking to lose the distributor I would have already picked one up but unfortunately only one brand gear can accept the modification and I dont want to use any of that companies products under my hood
Old 08-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder if the Pick up on a OBDII car (2000 Si) oil pump / crank pully pick up can be used to replace the distributor?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (Trooper)

It could work for crank position with certain computers, but you still need cam position to be fully sequential.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (tony1)

I thought K-series came stock with individual coils?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (91sihatch)

Wow, I totally missed that. Well, yes they do have cop from the factory. But, you still need some type of ems to have full control over each cylinder. From what people say though, the oem coilsticks are not that good when converting to a cop setup.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For some reason GM decided to get rid of the cop setup that came stock on the
Ecotech and went to a distrubuter. Kinda makes you wonder....

I've been thoughing around the idea of going with cop on mine as well. The stock
wasted spark coil pack has been letting me down.

There's also individual coils from MSD and I'm sure others that may work too....

Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish hondata could support an individual coil setup
Old 08-16-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start? (RacerStev)

Steve,

The factory wasted spark setup was the cause of most of our "problems" we are in the midst of changing it all to individual coils withe the Autronic. Give us a call and we can work with ya on this the changes you will need to make in your tune map are the exact same as our car.

mark
Old 08-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The PGMFI community is working on a COP setup using the oem ecu and a coil driver. It's still in the early stages of development but some people have pulled it off using coilpacks that have self contained dwell. Unfortunately all those coilpacks suck from what we've found.

Once a decent coil driver setup is finished, we can use the nicer coilpacks that are designed for CDI systems like the GM LS1 coilpacks...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:01 AM

Ok, so heres the exact setup that im running right now... I am very aware that our kseries engine is on individual coil packs all ready, but what im trying to ask here is how do you switch over to an aftermarket coil pack, something that will support a higher output motor. Right now, i am using the AEM EMS which can support this, but i have no clue if there is a certain type of coil that i need to use for example off of the MSD, which one should i get. CHeck out pictures of Norris P and Skunk2's car, you guys see how they did it? im not sure if AEM has their own coils too or not, but i will have to find out. how would i go about ordering custom wires for a motor that didnt come with wires in the first place, and what companies will make custom ones? haha help a homie out
Old 08-16-2005, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Race *****)

The factory coils are inductive. If you want to upgrade, you need a 4 channel CDI box and 4 CDI coils.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The factory coils are inductive. If you want to upgrade, you need a 4 channel CDI box and 4 CDI coils. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so the AEM C2DI will be good for this application right? and where woudl i purchse CDI coils from? Also, what do you mean these coils are inductive? by the way, this is Alex from OverRev, this info would be greatly appreciated Tony, i'll probably have to quote you on some of this....
Old 08-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, AEM is still working out some issues with their CDI box, but once that's resolved then yes, it'll work fine. Right now your options are pretty much MSD, M&W, Motec, or Autronic. MSD is the least expensive, and i'm sure you can figure out why. lol. Anyways, an inductive coil holds the charge for a given amount of time called "coil dwell". You send power to the coil for 5ms or so (depends on coil used and rpm) and then the coil discharges that power. CDI systems work the other way, the box holds the charge and sends out 450v or so to the coil. Generally, inductive systems have a longer burning spark that's not as powerful. There are a ton of CDI coils on the market. The ones you see on skunk's car and norris's car are the mercury marine coils, very small and VERY powerfull. Also very inexpensive, that doesn't happen very often! lol
Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 AM
JL
Honda-Tech Member

i thought i read somewhere on here that there was a recall of some kind with the c2di boxes? certian serial numbers? anyone know for sure?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:47 AM
I live under a rock

Default Re: (JL)

And here I thought I knew everyone in delaware running COP?? ::shakes head::

The C2DI's were not recalled, rather production halted if i'm not mistaken....

I have a AEM EMS, but i went for the MSD DIS-4 after hearing about that
Old 08-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought i read somewhere on here that there was a recall of some kind with the c2di boxes? certian serial numbers? anyone know for sure?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was wondering about this as well, as i also have an AEM C2DI.

from what i understand, you have to call AEM, and give them the serial # of your box, than they will tell you what to do with it.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

My AEM C2DI is working without any problems at all. I purchased it well over 3 months ago, so it is relatively new.
Im also using the 30-1000 AEM box with 4 coil outputs
Also, for what its worth, AEM is using the CBR motorcycle coils on Steph's civic. Egay is the unfortunate place I had to go for mine, but I payed $65 shipped with the plug harness....not too bad. Those marine coils are very nice and was considering using them instead, but I like the idea of reducing the possibility of losing any spark energy through the spark plug wires..no matter how short they are.

Quick Reply: Switching over to INdividual Coil Packs, Where to start?