Notices

surging idles...revs lower and lower...then dies...need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default surging idles...revs lower and lower...then dies...need help ASAP

I have a fully built/sleeved d16a6 block with a fully built d16y8 head. After installing my turbo kit, I started the car on a stock p28 and stock injectors just to make sure that it would run right and have no leaks. It ran perfectly fine. So I get the bright idea of tapping the intake manifold with barb hose fittings to get a vacuum source for the 3bar, bov, and wastegate. I take off the intake manifold, tap, and add the fittings. I used jb weld on the fittings just incase they would leak.

After cleaning/drying the manifold and re-installing everything, the car has a surging idle. While the idle is surging, it is slowing reving lower and lower to the point where it would die. I installed a new IM gasket, new TB gasket, swapped TB's, swapped IACV, swapped to a stock IM, and tried another stock p28. I also checked the timing and valve clearances and they are dead on. I did a compression test and all cylinders are at 190psi. I havent done a leakdown test yet. It seems like there is not enough air being drawn into the motor. If I unplug one of the fittings and let the IM suck in air, it would stop surging but idle at like 1200 rpm. NOTE: still have stock inj, stock map sensor, and stock p28 installed

Someone help! I have ran out of ideas as to why this is happening. The last sport compact day at the local racetrack is on October 7th and I would like to make it if I could. Throw some ideas at me.
I am going to pick up a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow to check the pressure and new pcv valve.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: surging idles...revs lower and lower...then dies...need help ASAP (peiku)

you are leaking air!

most likely the intake manifold. of one of your hoses have a leak.

spray water or carb spray arround the areas..
Old 09-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replace your MAP oring, and the ones on your FITV and IACV, that will give you the time to double check the white screw in the FITV.

Also the oring on the IAT.

Yeah, there is definately something leaking. Did you replace all of your injector seals?

spray around with starting fluid and the straw on the end, find the spot using small bursts that produces a change.