Notices

Supporting a local Turbocharger vendor, so many options though!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supporting a local Turbocharger vendor, so many options though!

I am on a bit of a purchasing spree, and have semi decided I need a new turbo charger. I am running a Genuine garrett t3 .60/.63, which is a factory turbo for a certain car, I just forget which atm. I am very happy with the turbos powerband and spool as my car is daily driven @ 15psi. Not a race car looking for all out performance and a 1000rpm powerband, I like 4th gear pulls on backroads.

In a Crx, my engine is a D16A6, vitaras/eagles 7.5:1 compression, very nice crane turbo cam, cast manifold, z6 intake manifold, 2.5" backdoor intercooler.

http://blaastperformance.com/index.php

There is a company that is local to me, and since I am international, that saves me a lot of money usually. BlaastPerformance, and they have quite a selection of turbos. Under both the 200-350hp and 350-500hp turbos they have quite a selection from $350-$500 for what looks like genuine garrett turbos, possibly rebuilt?

Can anyone help point me to a few of them in that price range that would suit my motor and powerband goals? They have the standard t3/t04e 57trim which I see is popular, but they have so many others aswell

Help me spend some money this season? Im leary to pull the trigger and time passes me by sometimes!

Cheers guys thanks
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Supporting a local Turbocharger vendor, so many options though!

They are the only ones that are in that price range because the majority of them are rebuilt units, and not new at all. They are mostly known for their abilities to repair a damaged turbocharger (and I use the term, loosely), not for selling newer units for projects.

They're more like the "I'd love to get a real XX unit, but these guys will have to do since I'm on a serious budget right now... but on my next turbo I'll get something better" - Type of crowd.

No hate here, just truth from experience.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would about this one Shodan, it is also cheap in price, but says assembled in USA, balanced, 360 bearing.

ps- I also have it in the back of my head to pickup a cheap chinacharger at limit it to 15psi and hope it holds for $200.... just to gamble... this one says its made in USA and balanced with 360 degree bearing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KILLER-Polished-T3T4-T04E-Hybrid-Turbo-performance-Turbocharger-Race-Type-/111085151229?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item19dd30e3fd&vxp=mtr

Is there any sizes from Blaast you would recomend for my setup? I love the current powerband I have now very much and would hate to get something totally different and not optimal for a DD
Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well ****! If it's made in the USA...!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Well ****! If it's made in the USA...!
Haha. Got a good chuckle with this....
Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by KevinEF7
Would about this one Shodan, it is also cheap in price, but says assembled in USA, balanced, 360 bearing.

ps- I also have it in the back of my head to pickup a cheap chinacharger at limit it to 15psi and hope it holds for $200.... just to gamble... this one says its made in USA and balanced with 360 degree bearing

Killer Polished T3T4 T04E Hybrid Turbo Performance turbocharger Race Type | eBay

Is there any sizes from Blaast you would recomend for my setup? I love the current powerband I have now very much and would hate to get something totally different and not optimal for a DD

Honestly, no. Showing individual knock-off turbochargers won't make me change my mind in terms of how bad it really is to use. Again, think of the market that they cater to. Those like yourself that believe you just might get lucky on this next "chinacharger" to be able to prove everyone wrong. Most won't, and there are those that will keep it alive long enough just to sell off to the next sucker..err.. I mean buyer,and say that it worked fine for when he had it.

If you don't have the funds for the real deal fine. Then just be patient and wait... but to think you can save just enough now to "get started" and get a better one later, you'd be best to save now..
Old 06-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just thought that auction looked different than the rest, talking about being USA assembled, balanced, and the 360 degree thrust bearing. Seemed very out of the ordinary for a chinacarger, and the price was a bit higher

My first choice is to go with Blaastperformance, does nothing in there lineup look like a quality piece? I dont know which one size wise would suit my goals, since they off so many 150-350hp units

Im never sure if whatever turbocharger Im picking is going to be in is efficiency range while im using it, or just become a big hair dryer. The T3 im using right now I dont believe liked going past 10psi
Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google Blaastperformance https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/blaast-performance-2589856/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/negative-blaastperformance-1952685/
http://www.preludeonline.com/f69/bew...ilding-249259/

Nothing but negative crap.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They are local to me, a few hours away actually but in Canada thats abouts as local as a Turbo company is going to be, Ive bought from them before with zero issue, aswell as my friend bought 2 Mitsu 16G turbos from them. But that what years ago

All those threads seem to be from years ago, Im just curious what turbo you guys say is in my effeciency range
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All i've ever heard about Blaast was negative...i wouldnt buy from them. Send TheShodan a PM and see what kinds of goofy turbo amalgamization he has brewing in his lab. He'll hook you up
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 AM

They are local to me, a few hours away actually but in Canada thats abouts as local as a Turbo company is going to be, Ive bought from them before with zero issue, aswell as my friend bought 2 Mitsu 16G turbos from them. But that what years ago

All those threads seem to be from years ago, Im just curious what turbo you guys say is in my effeciency range
Nothing has changed, unfortunately. If you feel that they are the only people able to deliver the product you're looking for simply because they are the least expensive, this may possibly be a very painful experience for you in the long run.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright I wont buy from Blaast, alot of mixed reviews, some sky high some rock bottom.

What turbocharger do you think would work best for my goals Shodan?

Is there a certain size or trim I should stick with for a low compression D16 build? Although I do think my cam throws a bit of a twist in there, motor feels very strong to redline on 15psi right now
Old 06-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't afford an STC for my street car, so I bought a used STC...LOL! And Now I am saving for another STC for my racer. I too tried to do the "buy this, rebuild it myself, see if it works long enough" route, and like "TheShodan" said, it was painful. I had to build a couple new motors because of it.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Alright I wont buy from Blaast, alot of mixed reviews, some sky high some rock bottom.

What turbocharger do you think would work best for my goals Shodan?

Is there a certain size or trim I should stick with for a low compression D16 build? Although I do think my cam throws a bit of a twist in there, motor feels very strong to redline on 15psi right now
Its really a matter of budget (your willingness to spend needs to be higher than what Blaast can offer, regardless), your power level (NOT PSI) that you desire, and the fuel that you plan to run to get that power. Having the camshaft doesn't change exactly what turbocharger to use, but it does change how it behaves within the range of efficiency that the turbocharger has.

Do you want 300whp on 93 octane? (or similar RON rating), or 500whp? that makes the difference. The more specific you are, the better we can narrow down the range of choices here.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well Im not a real number person, as Ive never been on a dyno with any of my setups. But I think I may be in the 250hp range with my current .60/.63 @ 18psi and its on the verge of shredding tires in 3rd, 2nd already being sketchy unless I pedal

Id say 325-350whp would be a very very happy goal for me. I do also like to keep things on the safer side to get some time and fun out of the setups, all fitting on a 205/50/15 tire. I guess knowing where my current HP is at would help me set a more accurate goal. I highly doubt Im in the 325whp range right now, but it does pull VERY hard to redline so I really dunno

I am "limited" to 94 octane here, and thats all I use, sometimes 91 if Im in a town where I cant find 91
Old 06-04-2013, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Its really a matter of budget (your willingness to spend needs to be higher than what Blaast can offer, regardless), your power level (NOT PSI) that you desire, and the fuel that you plan to run to get that power. Having the camshaft doesn't change exactly what turbocharger to use, but it does change how it behaves within the range of efficiency that the turbocharger has.

Do you want 300whp on 93 octane? (or similar RON rating), or 500whp? that makes the difference. The more specific you are, the better we can narrow down the range of choices here.
Why NOT PSI? I've always wanted to make the most power at a lower pressure level.

Also, I might add, that I've always selected a power goal and the largest turbine wheel I can spin then select an exhaust cam to use the turbine wheel to it's peak efficiency.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by tepid1
Why NOT PSI? I've always wanted to make the most power at a lower pressure level.

Also, I might add, that I've always selected a power goal and the largest turbine wheel I can spin then select an exhaust cam to use the turbine wheel to it's peak efficiency.
As you well know, Tepid1, if he starts going by PSI level and not the power level needed, depending upon the turbocharger used, even at a low pressure level, it may be inefficient for a reasonable powerband...

Wait a minute... Are you being sarcastic again? You know I can't read sarcasm well here..
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there any recomendation?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Is there any recomendation?
What's your budget to spend on a turbocharger alone? Use a real number here no a phrase like "not enough to break the bank".. no one knows what that means.

you stated 250-320whp power goals. what fuel? Any plans for more power? any plans to change engine? these were never answered from what I can see.

at such a LOW compression, i'd stay under 48lbs/min.. keep it small. that gets you to the T3/T04B GT3251 Journal bearing, T3 Super 60 (but it pushes it for 350whp), GT28R ball-bearing, etc.. You'd stay small.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to spend under $700 for a turbocharger.

94 octane fuel, no plans to change engines, this is a newly built vitara setup, I will probably build another 9:1 compression vitara block as a backup. But I will most likely always stick with a d16 sohc. I dont see myself wanting more than 350whp, its a Crx. I dont race, just personal fun.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

94 octane fuel, no plans to change engines, this is a newly built vitara setup, I will probably build another 9:1 compression vitara block as a backup. But I will most likely always stick with a d16 sohc. I dont see myself wanting more than 350whp, its a Crx. I dont race, just personal fun.
There is a local guy to me who's selling a brand new PTE billet 5531 for $700. Legit as can be and you won't find another turbo that cheap in that caliber. I believe it was ordered for a customer but they backed out last minute.

I can get you in contact with him if you're interested.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.synapseturbo.com/mm5/merc...=Journalturbos

Good allmighty tT3/T4 50 trim from synapse for 695$.Imo cant be wrong with a 50 trim on a D16.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ Seems a little big for my engine after looking at there dyno graph, only 10psi by 4500rpm and on engine that flows better than mine, and didnt make peak power til well after my cars redline
Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Its not big.With upgraded springs retainers and forged internals you will be able to use 8200-8500 rev limit.That b16 had stock b16 cams that suck.
Also this is a honda engine my friend.Power platau will not be seen unless you rev the motor above your cam efficiency, so that the torque will drop but because you continue to rev up (horsepower=torque x rpm/5252) power will be the same.
Under 700 usd in my opinion you wont find better deal than the 50 trim.Performance and realiability wise.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definetely wont be rapping this currently installed D16a6 (with no plan to change) head to 8000+ rpm. I dont want to go push past 7000 really

Quick Reply: Supporting a local Turbocharger vendor, so many options though!