Notices

Supercharging my EG with oil loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supercharging my EG with oil loss

I have a GSR motor in my EG.
Currently it has RMF headers, skunk2 IM and it made 117Kw at the wheels.
I just purchased some LSD and engine mounts for it because i am looking at purchasing a rebuilt 7000km Jackson racing supercharger by Endyn. My problem is im burning around 1L/1000 km of oil. There are no leaks, car is not running rich and the PCV is fine, so i guess its my piston rings?
Car blows smoke only in VTEC, idle is fine etc.
will holding boost in my motor be a problem due to the oil burning problem, thus will it b useless to supercharge?
thorts would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

Last edited by mr_munro; 03-27-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharging my EG with oil loss

anyone?
Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any help at all would be nice lol
Old 03-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a compression and leak down test. Find out problem and then fix it. Then supercharge the car.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks ill do that asap
Old 03-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mr_munro
I have a GSR motor in my EG.
Currently it has RMF headers, skunk2 IM and it made 117Kw at the wheels.
I just purchased some LSD and engine mounts for it because i am looking at purchasing a rebuilt 7000km Jackson racing supercharger by Endyn. My problem is im burning around 1L/1000 km of oil. There are no leaks, car is not running rich and the PCV is fine, so i guess its my piston rings?
Car blows smoke only in VTEC, idle is fine etc.
will holding boost in my motor be a problem due to the oil burning problem, thus will it b useless to supercharge?
thorts would be greatly appreciated!
thanks
things could be tricky if you do the lsd while putting the engine mounts in!
but on a side note i'd do a compression test, if the numbers are low put a little dab of oil in the sparkplug hole and see if it helps build more compression if so it's the piston rings most likely. if not it could also be valve seals.. i'd also look into making a makeshift leak down tester and doing that as that will be easier to point you in the direction where you got some leakage.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful bumping your thread more than once a day. Some mods like to lock threads due to that.

If you are burning 1L per 1000 km's, the ONLY thing you should be spending money on is an engine rebuild. My beater is a bone-stock b16 with 173k miles, and the only oil consumption is from a bad cam seal. Your rings are fried and letting oil into the cylinders. That creates extra heat as the oil burns, as well as creating lots of bad deposites in there. BOTH contribute to hot spots that lead to detonation. Detonation = blown engine.

Not only that, but you probably have much less power than a healthy motor. Instead of compression and being combusted, the intake charge is going past your rings and into your crankcase. It's also contaminating your oil, thining it and also making it acidic/corrosive.

FYI If a piston comes apart, you can be sure it will end up shooting a peice into the intake, into your supercharger.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh man, all bad news - but you say i may have less power than a healthy motor, but my car made 117kw at the wheels with basic bolt ons, much more power than my friends engines, and only a little off a b20VTEC
guess i needed to find out sooner of later - i was hoping maybe a seal was cracked and oil was leaking while i was driving. how much does it usually cost to replace piston rings normally? i know the parts themselves wouldnt be that much but i guess labor would b a killer, especially since i am not doing it myself
Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask *any* 2-cycle motorcycle person what happens when you put way too much oil in the gas mix. It still goes, but not as well. I was using "loss of power" in the context it was given - in the world of N/A Hondas, a 10hp gain is a mountain. People in the N/A crowd have got into FIST FIGHTS over less.

Anyways, 117kw is ~156whp. If it's I/H/E+tuning, it's weak for a basic bolt-on "GSR" as we call that in the USA. A healthy bone-stock b18c1 (no boltons, stock ecu) will be around 145-150whp. If you replaced the stock dual-runner intake manifold, its very low.

The first link below shows a stock b18c1 with very low miles, then the gains from ONLY a bigger exhaust. Stock ecu, header, etc. It was done a few years ago, but it's still very valid. (144whp & 151whp if you can't view)
http://web.archive.org/web/200206050...trustdyno.html

This next link shows Options' rebuilt b18c1 with i/h/e along with tuning and ITR pistons (11:1 vs 10:1).
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=44

YES, you'll still make much more HP than stock, but if you'll have to rebuild the motor anyways...why would you slap it on? Adding the JRSC will only make it degrade faster. It's your motor, however, you're the one asking other people for advice. Don't ask if you don't want to hear bad news.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say thats okay power depending on the type of dyno
Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should take care of the oil consumption problem before doing anything. That 1L/1000 km will become 1L/250 km if you put a supercharger on it.

Also, try to stick to beer when installing engine mounts.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Scott_Tucker
Also, try to stick to beer when installing engine mounts.
lol?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He said he 'bought some LSD'.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mr_munro
oh man, all bad news - but you say i may have less power than a healthy motor, but my car made 117kw at the wheels with basic bolt ons, much more power than my friends engines, and only a little off a b20VTEC
guess i needed to find out sooner of later - i was hoping maybe a seal was cracked and oil was leaking while i was driving. how much does it usually cost to replace piston rings normally? i know the parts themselves wouldnt be that much but i guess labor would b a killer, especially since i am not doing it myself
your probably looking at 700-1000 for labor plus parts if your down there you might as well look into some forged internals
Old 03-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by azandford
your probably looking at 700-1000 for labor plus parts if your down there you might as well look into some forged internals
thats including all the machining and honing etc?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Well putting a jrsc on is gonna put wear on your motor faster if its burning oil right now, my advise just rebuild your motor with new piston rings and bearings, if the walls are in good shape you can have them hone the block but if it needs to be bored over you will need new pistons and rings, also get your crank polished, and balanced, buy a oem head gasket set and send your head to be rebuilt with the new oem valve seals, and get a new oil and water pump and timing belt and any other thing you might want to replace while rebuilding your motor, have it assembled correctly if you cant do it, then put the jrsc after you break the motor in. and have fun thats the right way but if you check and see its your heads valve seals that are causing the excessive oil burning you can get away with pulling the head and rebuilding the head and throwing it back on with the jrsc and have fun, as long as you have the fmu kit with the jrsc and you have a stock ecu and injectors you should be able to boost right away and have fun, but if its your piston rings i would rebuild the whole long block and break it in and then throw on the jrsc.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was looking at that option, but in australia, i dont no who i would trust to do such work! i would need someone who knew what they were talking about and new Hondas because iv had mates who ahd bodge jobs done and it ended in diasaster! will a leak down test tell me EXACTLY where the oil is going? because how would i know if its the valves deals or the rings?
thanks