Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Suggestions Needed: Turbo "kit" or other FI options for the EP3 w/ K20A3. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/suggestions-needed-turbo-kit-other-fi-options-ep3-w-k20a3-3331727/)

Nate8o8_EP3 12-20-2018 01:58 PM

Suggestions Needed: Turbo "kit" or other FI options for the EP3 w/ K20A3.

So I figured, since all the compression in the A3 is low all around, what about boosting it? I've seen a lot of posts about not bothering to build it but I've seen enough posts about boosting one.

My question is, What kit should I invest in? Heard that the Greddy kit isn't too bad but at the same time I hear that you don't really get much from it anyway. Also read about the CXRacing kit but it's kinda out of my league. Found a cheaper set from SpeedyRacer.com and it's an EMUSA brand but I've never heard of the brand ever and when I looked at the specs, the cast iron manifold probably ain't the best thing. But I found a steel manifold to replace it. Has anyone ever heard of or tried this kit out?

TheShodan 12-20-2018 03:12 PM

re: Suggestions Needed: Turbo "kit" or other FI options for the EP3 w/ K20A3.

Originally Posted by Nate8o8_EP3 (Post 51811960)
So I figured, since all the compression in the A3 is low all around, what about boosting it? I've seen a lot of posts about not bothering to build it but I've seen enough posts about boosting one.

My question is, What kit should I invest in? Heard that the Greddy kit isn't too bad but at the same time I hear that you don't really get much from it anyway. Also read about the CXRacing kit but it's kinda out of my league. Found a cheaper set from SpeedyRacer.com and it's an EMUSA brand but I've never heard of the brand ever and when I looked at the specs, the cast iron manifold probably ain't the best thing. But I found a steel manifold to replace it. Has anyone ever heard of or tried this kit out?

No EMUSA Kit. Please don't. Not if you actually like the car. Most of it you wind up replacing with real parts.

You need to ask yourself about a power goal, a purpose for the car, and a real budget. You can't do this with a Read, Fire, AIM frame-of-mind.

Balor_Gr 12-21-2018 12:40 AM

Re: Suggestions Needed: Turbo "kit" or other FI options for the EP3 w/ K20A3.

Whats the budget for everything including ECU / tunning.?

Autoworks 12-21-2018 03:46 AM

...Also read about the CXRacing kit but it's kinda out of my league.

What do you mean by "out of my league"?

TheShodan 12-21-2018 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Autoworks (Post 51812356)
What do you mean by "out of my league"?

If the CXRacing gsrbage is out of his league, in all seriousness this person should not retrofit this car for turbocharhing at all.

Autoworks 12-21-2018 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51812511)
If the CXRacing gsrbage is out of his league, in all seriousness this person should not retrofit this car for turbocharhing at all.

That would have been my next post after clarification (in a nutshell). I'm just curious if he meant by complexity, price, "power", etc.

Nate8o8_EP3 12-23-2018 12:58 AM

.Apologies for not being too clear.

Budget wise, I'm looking at putting 10k+ with building internals as well as boosting. Original mindset behind the EMUSA kit is more like a test run to see how much I can put out power and tuning wise. Got a K-Pro V4 coming in and running KManager for datalogging and tuning. Power goal I wanted to reach would be to double the 160hp from stock, maybe hit or pass 350hp.

The "out of my league" statement was more me just being impatient with having to save up for it (so yes, the price). Planning on doing a better turbo install when I get the hang of tuning more. All be it, since I'm still new to this and I'm learning anything and everything I can before going heavy into the building stages. Already have some parts ordered but I'm waiting for my vacay time from work to down my car and put most of what I got into the build at that time. Still though, looking for suggestions.

Balor_Gr 12-23-2018 02:25 AM

If you just want 350-400 hp get a full k20a2 engine.
We run them 500 Whp all day long stock at europe.
If you deside to forge the internals of the a3 youll probably wanna put a VTEC head on it anyway.
No matter what go-auto basicturbo kit will take you there easy.