Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Suggestions Needed: B20 turbocharged - What are optimal transmission choices? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/suggestions-needed-b20-turbocharged-what-optimal-transmission-choices-3329197/)

THUNDERC1v1C 10-21-2018 08:03 PM

Suggestions Needed: B20 turbocharged - What are optimal transmission choices?

I'm looking for a B20 & manual tranny for a 92' Civic and all ik about tranny's are how they work and their parts. I already know the engine I want and it'll be turbocharged but for a daily driver & high speed driving what transmission is best for both of those? I have no idea what Hydraulic or Cable means (although I could just look it up lol) but I'm restoring the car (literally from a piece of scrap thx to the owners driving uses) and it'll be goin from $200 value to hopefully well over 5k+ in the next couple years. Any/all advice would be appreciated!

TheShodan 10-22-2018 06:18 AM

re: Suggestions Needed: B20 turbocharged - What are optimal transmission choices?

If you're just using the Full B20 swap, (No VTEC head), keep the transmission you have, and use the appropriate clutch / disc upgrade based upon the the amount of torque you plan to make. Unfortunately, there's not a "Boost vs. NA" comparison as to what is "best". The choice of transmission gearing is based upon your use of the car. You stated it was a "daily driver", so that only implies every day driving, and very little competitive racing. So, again, I would keep what you have as long as it is in good order.

You also hadn't listed the power/torque level desired for your swap, but that's only important for which clutch (company and style) you'd be using, and not transmission choice. Again, this is assuming you're staying full B20 w/ no VTEC head.

Hope that helps. Otherwise, more information on your end is needed.

Chance EG 10-22-2018 06:38 AM

Re: Suggestions Needed: B20 turbocharged - What are optimal transmission choices?

Wish I could just copy-paste my response from the same thread we had last week:

Boost/turbo/supercharger is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is power, and intended use of the vehicle. There are gear ratio calculators online where you can see max speed per gear, depending on RPM and tire size.

Stock B20 will have low redline safety limit, so keep that in mind.

turboLScrx 10-22-2018 02:02 PM

Re: Suggestions Needed: B20 turbocharged - What are optimal transmission choices?

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51759932)
Wish I could just copy-paste my response from the same thread we had last week:

Boost/turbo/supercharger is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is power, and intended use of the vehicle. There are gear ratio calculators online where you can see max speed per gear, depending on RPM and tire size.

Stock B20 will have low redline safety limit, so keep that in mind.

i need to find you post lol. I’m curious what my limits are with my gear set

Chance EG 10-22-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by turboLScrx (Post 51760642)

i need to find you post lol. I’m curious what my limits are with my gear set

Honda Transmission Calculator by ZealAutowerks

Note that you can also put in custom ratios.

motoxxxman 10-25-2018 05:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'll do you one better...
attached is a spreadsheet I built for overlaying the gears to find ideal shift points.
On sheet one, Blue boxes you can edit. Do not edit anything except blue boxes, or it'll screw the whole spreadsheet up. Unless you know what you're doing of course.
Red boxes show top speed for that gear.
Simply enter your tire diameter, gear ratios, final drive ratio, and the torque output at each rpm interval. Then sheet 2 shows your dyno chart, and sheet 3 shows the gear overlays. You do need an actual dyno chart to get your torque data from for the graphs to be accurate.
I only have it set up for engines up to 7400 rpm though.

turboLScrx 10-26-2018 04:13 AM

Thanks guys