Notices

Suggestions for my 7-800hp ls-vtec crx

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Suggestions for my 7-800hp ls-vtec crx

It's finally become that time for me to start building my crx again. This was my first car and I've had it for 8 years, been through a couple setups but now it's time to have some fun.

Engine: ls-vtec (gsr head)
Turbo: Borg warner s300sx3 - 66/73mm, twin scroll, t4 & .91 a/r

Current parts:
- action clutch twin disc (need to buy/build gsr hydro trans)
- used eagle ls rods / cp pistons 81.5mm 11:0 c/r
- 81.5mm hastings rings
- devcon for filling the block
- supertech valve springs
- -12 an fittings for valve cover
- arp head studs / rod bolts
- blue gates timing belt
- gsr water pump & oil pump

Going to be made:
- top mount divided t4 manifold
- straight 3” exhaust
- intercooler piping

Hoping you guys have some suggestions:

Ignition system: Cheapest way to support 7-800 hp without going coil over plug? I’ve looked into msd blaster coils and am thinking something like that would be the best bet.

Which fuel pump(s) should I use? Was thinking about running a -8 feed line and then using the stock feed as a return. Planning on running e85 and going with bosch 2200cc injectors. A friend was kind enough to donate the following to my build but I can buy something else if there isn’t an ideal combo here: 2 walbro 255’s, Bosch 044, & DW350iL

What am I missing / what's the weak link for 7-800hp? I know aftermarket valves and a cam/intake manifold should probably be next on the list.

Thank you for your time.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions for my 7-800hp ls-vtec crx

Twin 255's would easily cover the power needed, DW350iL would be cutting it close. I wouldn't recommend the 044.

The 255's would work great if you can get a dual pump hanger. Make sure whatever you go with, you upgrade the wiring to support the pump(s).
Old 10-02-2017, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The Eagle rods are questionable and at minimum you need to go with L19 or 625+ rod bolts. You'll also need to upgrade the wrist pins to the heavy duty version.
A stock 20+ year old trans is also marginal at your targeted power level. If you going to be running the car competitively you'll need to invest in a proper gear set.

MSD Digital 6 is a decent ignition option
Old 10-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Twin 255's would easily cover the power needed, DW350iL would be cutting it close. I wouldn't recommend the 044.

The 255's would work great if you can get a dual pump hanger. Make sure whatever you go with, you upgrade the wiring to support the pump(s).
I was looking at this chart earlier and it doesn't seem like twin 255's would be enough running e85

Originally Posted by extremeracer
The Eagle rods are questionable and at minimum you need to go with L19 or 625+ rod bolts. You'll also need to upgrade the wrist pins to the heavy duty version.
A stock 20+ year old trans is also marginal at your targeted power level. If you going to be running the car competitively you'll need to invest in a proper gear set.

MSD Digital 6 is a decent ignition option
Thanks for the heads up on the rod bolts and wrist pins. I know that using eagle rods at this power level is playing with fire but I'm feeling lucky. I'll definitely look into beefing up the transmission & MSD Digital 6
Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohisofly
I was looking at this chart earlier and it doesn't seem like twin 255's would be enough running e85
Ah, yeah sorry I missed that part. Maybe just grab the 044 and pick up another of the same model, then run one of those in parallel.

I also agree with the ignition point, stock ignition gets questionable after about 500WHP. Wrist pins are also a good idea, Eagle rods aren't recommended at your power level, a good I-Beam would be a better option.

I'm also not sure how a Devcon filled block will hold up since you're still on stock sleeves. You'll be pushing it for sure.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would never consider devcon at those power levels, 700HP is no joke. do it right the first time

11 CR at 700HP your joking right?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, yeah sorry I missed that part. Maybe just grab the 044 and pick up another of the same model, then run one of those in parallel.

I also agree with the ignition point, stock ignition gets questionable after about 500WHP. Wrist pins are also a good idea, Eagle rods aren't recommended at your power level, a good I-Beam would be a better option.

I'm also not sure how a Devcon filled block will hold up since you're still on stock sleeves. You'll be pushing it for sure.
So just two 044's? Good point on ignition, after looking it seems like going with msd setup and blaster ss coil would suffice. I know something like turbo tuff rods would be much more ideal than eagles. I know it'll be extremely sketchy with devcon but we're rolling the dice

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I would never consider devcon at those power levels, 700HP is no joke. do it right the first time

I'm feeling lucky but definitely understand the risks involved

I may be using a similar eagle rod setup just with 10:1 81mm cp pistons but we'll have to see
Old 10-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That actually doesn't sound bad at all to me. Higher CR has been used with high output turbo setups for awhile now. Tuning and a proper ignition/fuel setup will be critical though.

BoostedBoiz tuned a H22 on 11.5:1 CR and got a bit north of 700WHP, and it seemed to be running good until one of his injectors lost power and ran a cylinder dry.

Edit: Just to clarify "doesn't sound bad to me" is how I feel about the CR. I do forsee you having issues with the devcon.

Last edited by Chance EG; 10-03-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might as well go ahead and cut a window in the block.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That actually doesn't sound bad at all to me. Higher CR has been used with high output turbo setups for awhile now. Tuning and a proper ignition/fuel setup will be critical though.

BoostedBoiz tuned a H22 on 11.5:1 CR and got a bit north of 700WHP, and it seemed to be running good until one of his injectors lost power and ran a cylinder dry.
Exactly my thoughts. I've seen a bunch of high horsepower e85 cars running over 10:1 c/r with no problems.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly my thoughts. I've seen a bunch of high horsepower e85 cars running over 10:1 c/r with no problems.
right, even so what do you plan to achieve with the higher CR?? This is the question. 700+ is a drag car

I just don't see the point...its not like it's a daily driver street car where you would care about spool
times/ driveability

also as previously stated eagles are another terrible idea at this power level. Seems like your trying to cut corners....cheaper to do it right the first time then do it the cheap way cuz you will be rebuilding that motor all over again
Old 10-03-2017, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right, even so what do you plan to achieve with the higher CR?? This is the question. 700+ is a drag car

I just don't see the point...its not like it's a daily driver street car where you would care about spool
times/ driveability

also as previously stated eagles are another terrible idea at this power level. Seems like your trying to cut corners....cheaper to do it right the first time then do it the cheap way cuz you will be rebuilding that motor all over again
I'll be the first to admit I'm definitely cutting many corners. This will be used for mostly roll racing
Old 10-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be the first to admit I'm definitely cutting many corners. This will be used for mostly roll racing
I really dont think there are many advantages to higher compression at this power level, perhaps someone with more experience can chime in but I honestly dont see it.

Trust me im not trying to be a Debbie downer here just trying to point you in a better direction. get a sleeved block, Manley I beams and call it a day IMO - you gotta pay to play
Old 10-04-2017, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The ~11:1 CR isn't the concern when running Ethanol based fuel or real good race gas - rather the fact that in all probability those are "NA" pistons and therefore the crown isn't as thick as a "turbo piston". I've seen pistons collapse from running high cylinder pressure brought on by high hp turbo setups on NA high-comp pistons.

Muckman's 13.5:1 build suffered this very thing if I recall, before he rebuilt it using custom spec high-comp forced induction pistons.

The high compression will make for a more responsive setup, have a broader powerband and require less boost to hit the power target.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really dont think there are many advantages to higher compression at this power level, perhaps someone with more experience can chime in but I honestly dont see it.

Trust me im not trying to be a Debbie downer here just trying to point you in a better direction. get a sleeved block, Manley I beams and call it a day IMO - you gotta pay to play
If this setup goes I'll upgrade and go more towards the 8-900 range. I'll be happy if this one cracks the 700 mark

Originally Posted by extremeracer
The ~11:1 CR isn't the concern when running Ethanol based fuel or real good race gas - rather the fact that in all probability those are "NA" pistons and therefore the crown isn't as thick as a "turbo piston". I've seen pistons collapse from running high cylinder pressure brought on by high hp turbo setups on NA high-comp pistons.

Muckman's 13.5:1 build suffered this very thing if I recall, before he rebuilt it using custom spec high-comp forced induction pistons.

The high compression will make for a more responsive setup, have a broader powerband and require less boost to hit the power target.
I'll most likely be going with a set of 81mm 10:1 cp pistons I just purchased. Is that still a concerning c/r?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

If this setup goes I'll upgrade and go more towards the 8-900 range. I'll be happy if this one cracks the 700 mark

I'll most likely be going with a set of 81mm 10:1 cp pistons I just purchased. Is that still a concerning c/r?
Nah, you're fine.