Notices

stuck on choosing rods, pistons, and rings.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:46 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck on choosing rods, pistons, and rings.

instead of swapping my motor out and gettin a used jdm motor... i decided to replace the worn parts and rebuild what i already got.

now this is what im stuck on. my friend recommended me using OEM rings rather than total seal.

he has some srp je pistons for sale. not too sure of its quality.

now my question is... what must i get to rebuild the motor? im keepin it simple. im only boostin 7-9 psi with the drag3 kit on stock injectors, 12:1 fmu, upgraded inline and intank, new clutch, gsr oil pump, and a new oil return kit.

i was thinkin new pistons and rings. should i get new rods, too? what brand should i invest in? will i benefit in gettin it shot-peened?

need some advice!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: stuck on choosing rods, pistons, and rings. (SIK IN DA HED)

Id get some eagle rods, they can be bought on ebay for 300 shipped.
Match them with some je srp pistons and the total seal rings.Ive never heard anything bad about the rings and there cheaper then oem if u buy them with the pistons.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:11 PM
New User

how much do je srp pistons go for? how about the rings?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIK IN DA HED)

if you get the pistons from a distributor of je and srp you can get them for about 350
Old 03-29-2004, 10:46 PM

Total Seal rings can be had for about 80-100 bucks or so.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:52 PM

Default Re: (97lstegra)

If you buy the rings with the pistons, usually theyll sell em to you for $60
Old 03-29-2004, 11:16 PM

Default Re: (ITSTOCK)

Rocket Motorsports rods and CP pistons/rings. nuff said.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (InfamousRS)

total seal = total sucks
Old 03-30-2004, 07:20 AM
New User

so should i upgrade to eagle rods? or keep it stock and invest in some pistons and rings? i want to rebuild my motor so it performs better. so far, im thinkin srp pistons and oem rings. heard alot of bad things about total seals so far.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:29 AM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so should i upgrade to eagle rods? or keep it stock and invest in some pistons and rings? i want to rebuild my motor so it performs better. so far, im thinkin srp pistons and oem rings. heard alot of bad things about total seals so far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock...and spend the money on fuel management so you don't have to go through this again.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:31 AM
New User

Default Re: (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Stock...and spend the money on fuel management so you don't have to go through this again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so instead of upgrading the internals, you think i should stick to stock parts? hmmm ok. how much do stock pistons and rings usually run? rods should be fine, right?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JE piston /Eagle rod combo is affordable and works great. My new setup consits of CP pistons and Full-Race/Manley Rods, but it costs a bit more.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:57 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (g2turbo)

Since youre staying at 7-9PSI:

Keep the stock LS rods(assuming you have the motor on your sig) and get forged pistons.LS rods will hold up boost fine for a good 12-15PSI.

IF money is not an issue then yes id say get Eagle rods but since u said you will stay on 7-9 PSI i think the LS stockers will do the job fine.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (fjt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since youre staying at 7-9PSI:

Keep the stock LS rods(assuming you have the motor on your sig) and get forged pistons.LS rods will hold up boost fine for a good 12-15PSI.

IF money is not an issue then yes id say get Eagle rods but since u said you will stay on 7-9 PSI i think the LS stockers will do the job fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would probably cost you just as much as buying some Eagle rods as it would to adapt your stock rods to use the floating pin. I may be exagerating a bit, but just seems like you're throwing more chances for error into the equation. My vote would be for the eagles.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:13 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dennis)

well assuming you will pay 100 per piston/rod to make it floating yes...but at most places they will charge you between 20-30bucks per rod/piston...

So its 120bucks at most to keep LS VS 330+ to get Eagles

As i said..If money is not an issue i say Eagles. (for me money was an issue and i finished with Eagles anyways but its hard and expensive to fit LS rods into a D series..he doesnt has that problem since he had a B series.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dennis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would probably cost you just as much as buying some Eagle rods as it would to adapt your stock rods to use the floating pin. I may be exagerating a bit, but just seems like you're throwing more chances for error into the equation. My vote would be for the eagles.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-30-2004, 11:21 AM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so instead of upgrading the internals, you think i should stick to stock parts? hmmm ok. how much do stock pistons and rings usually run? rods should be fine, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im saying that i would rather have a stock motor with good EMS rather than a built motor with shitty fuel management. Forged internals shouldn't be used as a bandaid for lack of fuel management.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are your stock parts dead? what kind of compression is your motor spitting out as is?

if the compression is consistant across the board, then just like someone else said, keep all your stock stuff and spend it on engine management and good tuning.

if your compression is dead, then:
cp pistons
full-race rods

plan ahead IMO. you will want more power. just like me. i was shooting for 300 whp. im at 292 right now.it was enough for only a short amount of time. 2 weeks later and it feels like normal already
Old 03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
New User

i think i wuold rather get the eagle rods and do it right instead of paying half the price just to get the stock rods to work with the pistons. would i need pistons or rods at all? i can just get some new rings and get hondata. hmmm... you guys got me thinkin now.

right now... my compression is comin out to around 145 in each cylinder.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:02 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think i wuold rather get the eagle rods and do it right instead of paying half the price just to get the stock rods to work with the pistons. would i need pistons or rods at all? i can just get some new rings and get hondata. hmmm... you guys got me thinkin now.

right now... my compression is comin out to around 145 in each cylinder. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is your compression consistent between all cylinders? if so that really isn't that bad...it might be something other than your bottom end.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:22 PM
New User

Default Re: (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is your compression consistent between all cylinders? if so that really isn't that bad...it might be something other than your bottom end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its somewhat consistent. thats why i opted to go with a used jdm motor in good condition, in case i had problems with the ls head as well... i wouldnt have to entirely replace all the internals. but now im havin second toughts and thinkin about building the block i already have.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stuck on choosing rods, pistons, and rings. (SIK IN DA HED)

i had the same situation. i went ahead and got eagle rods and cp pistons. i got the rods since it gave me a little more peace of mind .
Old 03-30-2004, 06:33 PM
New User

yeah... peace of mind... thats why i want to do it right this time around.