Notices

Street Tune Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Tune Opinions

Question, I was going to do a full dyno tune then street tune with my car. Life is getting in the way and it is my dd so I was wondering whether or not just a street tune is worth it. pros? cons? I figured atleast this way the tuner can help make my a/f alittle better and so my car would run alittle better. I will get my car fully tuned before spring but this is just so that I can get by for now.

and no, I don't mean to go the cheap route. agian, life, bills, family is first priority but to help save me some $$, i've considered just a street tune for the time being.

car:98 gsr, jsrc-8lbs.

TIA.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Street Tune Opinions (end005)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by end005 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Question, I was going to do a full dyno tune then street tune with my car. Life is getting in the way and it is my dd so I was wondering whether or not just a street tune is worth it. pros? cons? I figured atleast this way the tuner can help make my a/f alittle better and so my car would run alittle better. I will get my car fully tuned before spring but this is just so that I can get by for now.

and no, I don't mean to go the cheap route. agian, life, bills, family is first priority but to help save me some $$, i've considered just a street tune for the time being.

car:98 gsr, jsrc-8lbs.

TIA.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dd says it all.
do it. thats the only way to get it right.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer to this question really relys on how knowledgeable the tuner is.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street Tune Opinions (mtber)

i never dyno tuned my setup, good tuner will have no problem with setting you up with a great street tune.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street Tune Opinions (mtber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mtber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The answer to this question really relys on how knowledgeable the tuner is.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, the guy (tuner) has tuned some of the quickest cars here in MN so I would assume he's real good. also, I have only heard good things about him.

thanks guys.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a street tune from seendata and he hook me up, runs like a champ. I also had my car tuned at a dyno shop before the street tune, and he didnt do a great job, the next day it blew my motor, come to fine out my timing at 16ps was 39*. Its all about the tuner.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave the tuning to the tuner.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street Tune Opinions (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave the tuning to the tuner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh of course. but how does that relate to my initial post?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street Tune Opinions (laziebun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by laziebun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a street tune from seendata and he hook me up, runs like a champ. I also had my car tuned at a dyno shop before the street tune, and he didnt do a great job, the next day it blew my motor, come to fine out my timing at 16ps was 39*. Its all about the tuner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what the hell? seriously? so, question, if anything like that happens, are they liable for it?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In general, no they won't take care of it. Some will, some will split it with you, some will just say sorry...so pick a good tuner and talk about the what ifs before you start.

As far as street tuning goes. If you can find someone that is willing to do it AND knows what they are doing then go ahead. I would try adn find someone that knows hondas as well as the specific program you are using. As long as the timing is 'safe' but not too retarted it will be fine. Then you can go and tune for best power on a dyno later. Might be a good way to get any bugs out too.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street Tune Opinions (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave the tuning to the tuner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's my problem with that.......my first tuner i went to, sucked *****, we strap it down on the dyno and do a pull and he says its running too rich like 9:1. Back then i had a SAFC and he says he couldnt do any thing, so its going to be $250.00 yeah WTF..

Second tune was with a s200 and i was happy with his tune, but the injectors ran out at 6500 rpm with 550cc injectors putting down 312whp, but im thinking the 550cc should have well handled that, but what ever..

Third tune jackass claimed he knew what he was doing, had his EFI certificate and all that good stuff to make me feel good and claimed he knew hondata inside and out. So i agree and let him do his thing and install bigger injectors 780cc since the 550cc duty% was at 100% at 6500rpm and do a fresh tune...well almost three weeks later i picked it up with 176whp and my hondata s200 wasnt used but instead he used Crome because he didnt have Rom Editor to tune the s200 WTF, i never told him he could do that. so all in all it was $550.00 this time WTF again

fourth tune s300 install and start a fresh tune, this time i drove it back down 4 hours to the same tuner who did my second tune with the s200. Well he has it for 4 weeks and hes now done with it, so i go pick it up and it drove it home fine. another $1200. The next morning Boom the motor blows and crack a sleeve WTF AGAIN..

ALL THESE WERE SHOPS WITH DYNO MACHINES AND CLAIMED TO BE TUNERS

so i take the motor apart and get the block Sleeved with AEBS and build the motor back up and had Seendata street tune it and so far so good and im happy with it and this time $120.00

So my point is you can leave it to the tuner and still get screwed. My .2 cent is find a good tuner ask around on H-T about that particular tuner and see what responds you get. As you can see i didnt do that, except with Seendata and look how i got f**ked over and this is all in a one year time.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street Tune Opinions (laziebun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by laziebun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Here's my problem with that.......my first tuner i went to, sucked *****, we strap it down on the dyno and do a pull and he says its running too rich like 9:1. Back then i had a SAFC and he says he couldnt do any thing, so its going to be $250.00 yeah WTF..

Second tune was with a s200 and i was happy with his tune, but the injectors ran out at 6500 rpm with 550cc injectors putting down 312whp, but im thinking the 550cc should have well handled that, but what ever..

Third tune jackass claimed he knew what he was doing, had his EFI certificate and all that good stuff to make me feel good and claimed he knew hondata inside and out. So i agree and let him do his thing and install bigger injectors 780cc since the 550cc duty% was at 100% at 6500rpm and do a fresh tune...well almost three weeks later i picked it up with 176whp and my hondata s200 wasnt used but instead he used Crome because he didnt have Rom Editor to tune the s200 WTF, i never told him he could do that. so all in all it was $550.00 this time WTF again

fourth tune s300 install and start a fresh tune, this time i drove it back down 4 hours to the same tuner who did my second tune with the s200. Well he has it for 4 weeks and hes now done with it, so i go pick it up and it drove it home fine. another $1200. The next morning Boom the motor blows and crack a sleeve WTF AGAIN..

ALL THESE WERE SHOPS WITH DYNO MACHINES AND CLAIMED TO BE TUNERS

so i take the motor apart and get the block Sleeved with AEBS and build the motor back up and had Seendata street tune it and so far so good and im happy with it and this time $120.00

So my point is you can leave it to the tuner and still get screwed. My .2 cent is find a good tuner ask around on H-T about that particular tuner and see what responds you get. As you can see i didnt do that, except with Seendata and look how i got f**ked over and this is all in a one year time.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

An EFI certificate doesn't mean that much in my opinion having personally taken/helped out the class with Mase back in the day. Strader and the tuners that host the class are very knowledgeable and are great tuners (from the ones I have met). It's a great starting point in the EFI world but some people just aren't competent enough to take the knowlege they've learned and apply it properly. It's sad to see some people use this certificate and in return tarnish EFI's credibility/reputation. But this happens in whatever field you go with... such as doctors with malpractice, etc etc.

I do agree with you there are many shops with dyno's that don't know what they are doing. Whenever I see instances like this I just sit back and laugh and feel sorry for the customers. But with tuning, **** can happen. The best advice I can give is to look into the set-ups the shops have done and also search around to see what their past customers have said about using them. With that said, leave the tuning to the tuner