Notices

Street GSR turbo built recommendations motor build

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street GSR turbo built recommendations motor build

What do you guys recommend for a daily driver turbo build. Goal is good mpg + Reliability and setup able to hold up fine up to 15-20psi without being near the edge. Will not go past 20psi even if motor is capable just want to have a safe cushion.

B18c1 motor OBD1
Pistons, rods and all the goodies that would make it bullet proof. Ive read some of the other threads but it seems the goal is much higher power then what im looking for. I want good mpg and Reliability.

Thanks guys
Also any So cali builders you guys recommend would be great just to get an idea of who out there does this. I can do it myself but i don't have the time with work so it would need to be sent out. My local guy is really busy but ill see if i can convince him to do it.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Street GSR turbo built recommendations motor build

Its not really a psi issue. Figure out what power range you will feel comfortable at and your setup should be built by your goals. What numbers you looking for?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anywhere around 450 with a good build since the turbo is a .57 Trim it wont run out of steam
Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

450 reliable- well i hope you have deep pockets
Old 09-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see lots of thread with stock setup close to 400hp why would 450 be that difficult with a turbo build? Ok ill take it back and say 400hp reliable.

Keep in mind ill rarely ever hit WOT and most of the time it will be babied so you wont see me at the strip making passes all day long and expecting it to be reliable.

Now lets get some info in this thread like parts and details for others who may have the same question.

JE piston
Eagle rods
ARP

etc...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

More importantly who is a reputable builder you guys trust in So cali area?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jetspeedz
I see lots of thread with stock setup close to 400hp why would 450 be that difficult with a turbo build? Ok ill take it back and say 400hp reliable.

Keep in mind ill rarely ever hit WOT and most of the time it will be babied so you wont see me at the strip making passes all day long and expecting it to be reliable.

Now lets get some info in this thread like parts and details for others who may have the same question.

CP pistons (9:1)
Pauter rods
ARP head studs, main studs

etc...
there i fixed it for you...
(have you thought about sleeving the block if you want it "bullet proof")

rep builder in Ca= Laskey Racing (ask for Mike)

http://laskeyracing.com/shop/shop.htm
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For starters, 450whp is not necessary on the street unless you have some M&T street radials and a limited slip. If you dont have amazing tires AND the LSD, you're never going to put that power to the ground. I have BFG DR's and they spin like mad with an open diff...more power would further aggrevate that problem. The LSD is a requirement.

Secondly, a 57 trim isn't going to make 450whp on any kind of sub-100 octane fuel. If you have access to E85 or plan to run race gas, then its doable. Also, that power range, although has been attained with the 57 trim, is pushing that turbo pretty hard. Anyone who claims otherwise is "wrong" per se. There have been near "500 whp" setups, but i'm sure those numbers were more a product of dyno correction than actual power creation since thats beyond the theoretical potential of that turbo.

In short, you're pushing it on stock sleeves, putting more power down than is "usable", pushing your turbo a bit and need a higher-than-pump-gas fuel to make that power.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent point, ideally i want to push the turbo as max as possible on pump gas 91. I don't plan on racing it and running C16 or anything better like i do on the motorcycle so what ever the max HP is out of these motors ill be happy with. Its a daily driver so im looking for reliable setup which is key.

Now what do you suggest in terms of a build. I found these guys online and they seem reasonable but im just beginning the research.

http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-468-7...alvetrain.aspx

Only issue is they want the motor out the car. I prefer to just take the car there have the work done and pick it up b/c of time constraints. If i have to take it out ill do all the work myself and just send the block out to get it sleeved and head cleaned up but i dont have time so im hoping you guys can recommend a reputable builder.

thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by omiehomie
there i fixed it for you...
(have you thought about sleeving the block if you want it "bullet proof")

rep builder in Ca= Laskey Racing (ask for Mike)

http://laskeyracing.com/shop/shop.htm

just saw this thanks ill give him a call

yes sleeving is one option or blockguard and the guys i posted above said if i go the blockguard option they do it correctly by installing it then machining it instead of just pressing it i like some do. but i think the extra 1200 for the sleeve is worth it.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Man U FTW

Are you planning to sleeve?? It isn't necessary to be honest. Just knock your power goals down a bit. For the cost of sleeving, you're only going to be able to make a little more power with that turbo and fuel grade. Its really a waste of money at that point.

If i were you,i would pick up a set of pistons and rods, slap them in WITHOUT a block guard and go to town. On 91, you can still make ~400whp with your 57 trim. That would be the route i would take...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Are you planning to sleeve?? It isn't necessary to be honest. Just knock your power goals down a bit. For the cost of sleeving, you're only going to be able to make a little more power with that turbo and fuel grade. Its really a waste of money at that point.

If i were you,i would pick up a set of pistons and rods, slap them in WITHOUT a block guard and go to town. On 91, you can still make ~400whp with your 57 trim. That would be the route i would take...
So a block guard would not be necessary? i was told either sleeve or BG
Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Man U FTW

Block guards have fallen out of favor. You're better off to leave the sleeves as is unless you're going to have aftermarket sleeves installed. I speak from my own setup...i'm running stock sleeves with no external support
Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent good to know ill be avoiding this then and stick with the stock sleeve
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep us updated on this project. I'm looking to do the same exact thing in a couple months here. Lemme know who you get to do the build, prices, quality of work, etc. I gots to get some boost to my b18c1 EG! = )
Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sleeve about 3k

econ build is about 2k
Old 09-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by jetspeedz
sleeve about 3k

econ build is about 2k
I have a feeling that the sleeved engine is going to cost more than that after all the machining and shipping. It should be a solid $1500 more than an equivalent, unsleeved engine...maybe i'm out of the loop and thats high though
Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Laskey and speedomotive have similar pricing and a full build is about 3k not including any port and polish on the head or aftermarket valves which ill be using to avoid float.

i decided to go with a sleeved setup just to be on the safe side. I know it costs more but i rather have a piece of mind. The guys at the machine shop all recommended a sleeve option and i don't think its b/c they wanted to sell me a bigger $$ package but honestly they said you can go stock sleeve and it may work or it may break even at low hp levels of 275+ so to avoid having to take it all apart again and paying for another tune doing it right the first time seems like a good choice. My builder also said anything over 12psi i should go with a sleeve for sure and i trust this guy and he is not in the business of machining but he has been working on these cars for over 30 years.

I will however have to wait till October before my local engine builder can get to it so for now ill be driving it as is and waiting for the Kit to come in from Ken. Money pit this has become but i hope in the end its a solid and stable ride.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rxbandit1
Keep us updated on this project. I'm looking to do the same exact thing in a couple months here. Lemme know who you get to do the build, prices, quality of work, etc. I gots to get some boost to my b18c1 EG! = )

Glad this thread can help others with similar questions and ill keep everyone updated on the progress and build
Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me know where you get tuned at. I'm looking for a tuner in so cal.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will do there are two popular tuner Do it Dyno and Church. different camps in a lot of subjects so i guess it depends on what your budget is
Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Recommended setup on pump gas as 15psi and 10:1 setup on the pistons for max power by Ryan at Church
Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just put down 392 whp on a mustang dyno at 22 psi on 93.. pretty simple build
81.5mm bore stock sleeves, carillo rods, wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, acl race bearings, stock head, venom im, pp 68mm tb, goautoworks full ram, 3 in dp, bullseye 60-1

thing absolutely rips, minimal lag, but at these power levels i suggest upgrading your suspension quite a bit too... im running k-sport coilovers, avid pro series traction bar, obx lsd, tires are yokohama parada spec2's
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cali gas is 91 and a crap load of additives which is probably why 15ish psi is the borderline
Old 09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let us know how this build turns out! I am doing something similar, fully built 425whp goal on a borg S256 bored to 83mm. Good luck on your build, im excited to hopefully hear what your doing mpg and power wise. And let us know how well the daily drivability is.

Quick Reply: Street GSR turbo built recommendations motor build