Notices

Stolen cars and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!!

I have read an awful lot of threads in the recent months that people have had thier cars stolen with lots of aftermarket goodies on them. For those that have had your car stolen I am sorry! I am making this post so others might be able to benifit if thier car gets stolen. I have a 99 Si with about $9000 worth of modifications under the hood and in the car. I checked with my insurance company (state Farm) to see how I could get everything on my car insured (right down to the gain control for the sub). They said that I had to bring all my reciepts in and have pictures of the cars present condition. After it was all said and done I am only paying $40 more a month than I was before and EVERYTHING is covered. I am 30 so that might have something to do with it but you guys might want to check into it
Thanks for reading!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (intercooledJRSC)

State Farm covered everything on my car for no additional charge. When my 92 integra was stolen they gave me $17,500. I'm not complaining!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (tony1)

State Farm

stan
Old 06-19-2003, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (Flamenco-T)

I third State Farm - I've never had to claim with them, but I'm very happy with their service. Also, if you own bikes - look to state farm. I have two bikes (R6 and TL 1000R) along with my 95 Accord on my policy - all full coverage and I'm paying about $130/month.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (dennis)

once i start getting things installed in my car, i'm going straight to allstate and finding out the same thing. it's just not worth it to have all that hard work and effort go to waste should something happen. of course, they can't compensate for the blood, sweat, and tears, but at least i'd get something for the money spent.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:41 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (symba)

State farm too!
Old 06-19-2003, 06:55 AM
New User

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">State farm too! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Me too! I was paid out for my total loss 91 Integra back in 1999 when someone stole my engine LS/VTEC, LONG story! Got a good amount of money. I work for an Insurance Company USAA, and have been with 3 different companies as an employee, you guys need to read your contract it is an Actual Cash Value policy which is cost new less depreciation as opposed to a Stated Value policy like Classic Car or Specialty car policies. Some companies do not allow racing as mine doesnt and ask this question, if you race and you have a claim you could get NOTHING due to misrepresentation. It is best to be honest with your insurance company actually because you may save money but if you get a claim denied you didn't really save money. This pertains to modifications and racing. I have heard of a very very big insurance company denying a claim and dropping insurance on someone because they had an Aftermarket Tach, this came straight from the adjuster of this company. You see commercials all the time is a hint.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (Arturbo)

**** insurance company's, when my car got vandalised last fall, Geico said all i needed was pictures and receipts for the aftermarket parts (which they paid for the aftermarket parts that got messed up), now that my car got stolen and i showed them the $10,000 + worth of receipts, they are saying none of that **** added value of the car....

Not to be a poor sport, but if i had to do it all over again, my integra would have been stock. Being boosted and having a rare front end was fun, but now its not worth it. I worked 4.5 years to get where i wanted that car and now i have ******* nothing.

Im still fighting insurance about the value of the car, so we'll see, but right now, i'll probably end up being screwed out of thousands of dollars
Old 06-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** insurance company's, when my car got vandalised last fall, Geico said all i needed was pictures and receipts for the aftermarket parts (which they paid for the aftermarket parts that got messed up), now that my car got stolen and i showed them the $10,000 + worth of receipts, they are saying none of that **** added value of the car....

Not to be a poor sport, but if i had to do it all over again, my integra would have been stock. Being boosted and having a rare front end was fun, but now its not worth it. I worked 4.5 years to get where i wanted that car and now i have ******* nothing.

Im still fighting insurance about the value of the car, so we'll see, but right now, i'll probably end up being screwed out of thousands of dollars</TD></TR></TABLE>

With insurance you get what you pay for (Just like anything you buy). State Farm is a little more but definitely worth the extra $. They cover ANYTHING that is physically bolted/attached to the car no matter what. (As you read in Tony's post) This is why when I get my premium notices with rate hikes, I really don't complain.

I am sorry for your loss Mase. I hope you can get what you have in the car. I recommend State Farm next time. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:15 AM
New User

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (ladysman)

state farm
Old 06-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think allstate is the same way...not sure. haven't contacted them yet. but i believe i mentioned it about the stereo system and they cover anything that is bolted down
Old 06-19-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (symba)

i have state farm on both my integra and 240sx. they said if either one of my cars were to get stolen i just need to bring in a receipt and pictures of all the mods that had been done. and i don't have to pay additional charges a month either.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With insurance you get what you pay for (Just like anything you buy). State Farm is a little more but definitely worth the extra $. They cover ANYTHING that is physically bolted/attached to the car no matter what. (As you read in Tony's post) This is why when I get my premium notices with rate hikes, I really don't complain.

I am sorry for your loss Mase. I hope you can get what you have in the car. I recommend State Farm next time. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrmm, state farm may cover aftermarket parts better, but geico had the most coverage you could get w/ out buying an umbrella policy. My Insurance wasnt cheap, i have a perfect driving record along w/ my whole family (4 cars insured) and we all have perfect driving records, regardless, I paid $192 a month, but we also have $300,000/$500,000 and a lot of other benefits state farm didnt offer.

That and my uncle as well as my best friend got screwed on state farm. I think its a hit and miss situation with any insurance company.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hrmm, state farm may cover aftermarket parts better, but geico had the most coverage you could get w/ out buying an umbrella policy. My Insurance wasnt cheap, i have a perfect driving record along w/ my whole family (4 cars insured) and we all have perfect driving records, regardless, I paid $192 a month, but we also have $300,000/$500,000 and a lot of other benefits state farm didnt offer.

That and my uncle as well as my best friend got screwed on state farm. I think its a hit and miss situation with any insurance company. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have 300,000/300,000 coverage. I am not sure how high State Farm goes though. You are right, it is a hit or miss with any insurance company. With State Farm being the biggest Insurance company, you are bound to hear more horror stories but for the most part, my family has had 100% positive feedback towards them.

Oh, I am assuming you live in a high risk area but for my hatchback, I pay $28 a month for full coverage. I do get accident free, married, multi-car, multi-line, etc in discounts though.

Oh, and I hope you didn't take my other post in a negative way. I would love to personally help you beat the crap out of whomever did that to your car. I followed your post and felt your pain even though this hasn't happened to me. Hope it works out for you.

Brad
Old 06-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Be carful with telling insurance companies what you got and what you spend. I have had 1 ticket in the last 5 years and i got dropped by Erie Insurance because of the excessive modifications done to the car. They changed their policy and will no longer carry cars with performance modifications. I konw it sounds gay but trust me i had to pay out the *** for insurance for 3 months till i got married and went on my wifes policy. When you get canceled you are considered high risk even though you did no wrong. Now i pay 107 a month for 3 cars with full coverage compared to the 227 i did for just my integra for those 3 months.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a good thread, I didn't know much about how to get everything covered BEFORE a car was stolen, I've only pretty much been able to read up on how to get money for aftermarket mods after a car's been jacked. I'm definitely gonna check into getting all my **** covered by my company.

does anyone know what Liberty Mutual's policies are on this subject?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:09 PM
FastNFurious

ok, so what if you buy something on the classified section, like a turbo kit? How are you going to get a receipt? or ebay?? I bought everything for car on fricken ebay and installed everything myself except engine
parts.
Does anyone know of a way to have someone vouch whats in your car?? Like is there a place that you can take your car and they will look at it and be like "OH this guy has 10 grand under the hood"? The guy will than sign something??
I can take pictures of whatever/everthing but I don't have the receipts??? I have State Farm and I guess i'm just SOL???
Old 06-19-2003, 05:02 PM

oh this is GREAT,
Damn im about to throw a large amount into the hood of my car and would like to get this all takin care of. I dont mind the extra cash for insurance cuz hoppfully they will cover it. Makes me feel little better.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:21 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** insurance company's, when my car got vandalised last fall, Geico said all i needed was pictures and receipts for the aftermarket parts (which they paid for the aftermarket parts that got messed up), now that my car got stolen and i showed them the $10,000 + worth of receipts, they are saying none of that **** added value of the car....

Im still fighting insurance about the value of the car, so we'll see, but right now, i'll probably end up being screwed out of thousands of dollars</TD></TR></TABLE>
I feel your pain Mase.

Now I am going to try to give advice and explain some things about insurance, most people, and please nobody take this the wrong way, are ignorant when it comes to insurance. I was too until I became a licensed agent, your Auto policy is based on an Actual Cash Value basis which by definition in the Florida Family Auto Policy contract(since Mase you're in Fl) is: Actual cash value as used in the contract means the amount which it would cost to replace the stolen or damaged property with new property of like kind and quality, less allowance for depreciation and physical deteriation. ......Ok this means you buy a $20k car dn two years down the line you will not get $20k to buy you a new car of the same model and type but a 2003 let's say, you will get cost new less depreciation, your Homeowners policies are actually covered for replacement cost which means if you have say a 5 year old TV when they go to pay out on it or replace it, the insurance would not depreciate but actually replace the item with a new TV of like kind and quality, some contracts say antiques and souvenirs have actual cash value always. By the previous statement also that Mase you got a policy with Geico with the most coverage without taking out an Umbrella policy, Umbrella has nothing to do with your personal property or physical damage to your vehicle which is collision and comprehensive. Umbrella policies are only Excess liability above and beyond what your Auto liability and Homeowners Liability and also Boat Policy liabilities would be. This means that if you get in an accident and your are at fault(Liable) then your auto policy would pay up to the liability limist you carry and in your case Mase that would be $300,000 per person for bodily injury and $500,000 per accident or occurrence, if someone's bodily injury exceeded that limit or if they sued you for over that limit then at the time your Umbrella liability would start to pay up to the limit you carry there, most Umbrella Policies are $1 million to $5 million excess liability, works the same way for your Homeowners also. Now when you buy aftermarket parts for your car it may be unacceptable by your insurance company, point is you pay insurance for your 92 Honda Civic CX hatchback which is worth say $3000 then the insuarnce is calculating in a loss if you total it (by the way only takes 60% of of the value of a car to be damage to be deemed a total loss) to pay approximately $3000 same thing in a theft, well when you have parts stolen usually this does not exceed 60% of the value of your car and would not be considered a total loss so you would then be paid for the parts less your deductible. When you total your car the value of it is much less also
Old 06-19-2003, 05:27 PM
FastNFurious

Default Re: (David555)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by David555 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, so what if you buy something on the classified section, like a turbo kit? How are you going to get a receipt? or ebay?? I bought everything for car on fricken ebay and installed everything myself except engine
parts.
Does anyone know of a way to have someone vouch whats in your car?? Like is there a place that you can take your car and they will look at it and be like "OH this guy has 10 grand under the hood"? The guy will than sign something??
I can take pictures of whatever/everthing but I don't have the receipts??? I have State Farm and I guess i'm just SOL???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, what the hell am I suppose to do? Print out fake receipts?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:42 PM
New User

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (Boostfed)

Now I had an LS/Vtec engine fully built not yet put together that was stolen, I was paid out for my 91 Inegra back in 99 for $6900, I took the money with an option to by the shell back for $900 but I didnt and that's where I get a big ! Back then I had so many break ins on that car and bad luck I just thought it had bad karman and let it go. I miss it now! her is more contract talk...... Payment of Loss " We may pay for loss of money, or repair or replace the damaged or stlen property. We may, at our expense, return any stolen property to you or to your address shown in your declarations page. If stolen property is returned to you we will pay for any damage resulting from the theft. We may keep part of all of the damaged or stolen property and pay you n agreed or appraised value for it.

Now if anyone has even had stereo equipment stolen you knwo the Insuarnce company can get it way less than what you can through a company called CCS, they deal specifically with stereo equipment and such, so that $5000 system you have, the insuarnce's cost may be $2000, you either take the replacement parst or get what they would pay for it. I have experience here also, I don't mess with car stereo stuff anymore. Whew, so many systems stolen. Now my comment earlier about being ignorant, this means not in the knwo or don't understand the Insurance contract, don't be mislead by some agenst also, they will tell you things are covered when they are not, most independent agents are on commision so they want your money, but when it comes time for renewal the underwriters review the account for the tickets or accidents your agent may have just accidently missed. Also when it comes to claims time your adjuster is the person you deal with not your agent so the "My agent told me it was covered, the adjuster will direct you to the Insurance policy contract" You have to read your full contract and all it's legal verbage and mumbo jumbo and if you don't undertsand it you better call your agent or insuarnce company ask what it means. Also not telling your insuarnce company some things like mods on your car or where you live, alot of people keep there policies in the home town of record say VA but live in NY city but don't tell their insuarnce company, well this is misrepresentation and could lead to nonrenewal and/or claims denial . I have known of many cases where people kept their nice cheap rate in a different state and didn;t tell and were deined claims, because premiums are based off you geographic location, age, sex, driving record, CREDIT yes CREDIT 90% of Insurance companies use credit for risk determination, the statistics (which I feel are bullshit) are that people with bad claims history make more claims or are not good risks ie may make fa=raudulent claims or just don't care and drive wild. Insuarnce is based all on Statistics and actuaries plus you share your risk within your insuarance company so if every other insured made claims last year but you didn't then your rate can be affected but the people with the claism will be affected more which is only fair. Insurance seems unfair to most people but most every state requires you to carry Liability coverage so if you are at fault in an accident you insuarnce company pays the loss, also you have uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage which protects you! People feel insurance is unfair, but also your Lienholder reuires you to carry Comprehensive and collision coverage to cover their vehicle their interest until you pay them off, think about if you did not have insurance at all and someone stole your car that is 100% 100% loss to you and you would get paid NOTHING at all! Also could you afford to pay someones medical/doctors bills when you are at fault but had no insurance? Some lawsuits are hundreds of thousands plus lawyers costs you are liable for. Just some info on this, I really wish people read their policies but also their were classes or something in school to help understand the concept of insurance and how it works it is a BUSINESS and must make a profit or does not exist. Any questiosn on Insuarnce please feel free to ask me, I have worked for 3 Large within the top 6 Insurance companies in the nation and have been in this business for 6 years now. You have to look at it form each perspective. Again questions ask, I would love to write a book on Insurance and ways to lower your premium and how insurance companies work to help the general public seriously and to help understand
Old 06-19-2003, 05:53 PM
New User

Read your exclusions in your contract also, in some companies contract is will say Losses excluded to any vehicle while being operated in or in practice for any speed contest. That is about 90% of the board right there, this si not all insurance companies rules or exclusions however. It sucks to pay for insurance then come to find out nothing is covered because you didnt read your contract or you were misled by your insurance agent.

Tjis is important to you Mase

Appraisal: Most insurance companies by state law have another explanation for losses; "If we and you do not agree in the amount of loss, either may demand an appraisal. In this event the insured and insurer will select a COMPETENT APPRAISER. The tow appraisers will select an UMPIRE. The appraisers will state separaetly the ACTUAL CASH VALUE and the amount of loss. If they fail to agree they wiull submit their differences to the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two will be binding. Each the insurer and insured will pay its own appraiser and each will share the expesnes of the umpire equally. Neither you or the inusrance company wiave any rights under the policy by agreeing to an appraisal."

This should help out alot on total losses that you guys don't agree iwth the value, but remember parts and the car do depreciate, there is also specialty lines of insuarnce for Classic Cars, Stated value Polciies, Even Insurance for Hot Rods and Race cars look online but most have rules that you can't drive your car daily or limit your annual mileage, also you won't be able to use th car as back up if one of your other cars is out of commision and you need it for commuting, trust me I have looked for a suitable insurance for my car stated value with no mielage limitations or usage limitations. Some classic car coverage or stated value polciies also exclude heavily modded cars with performance parts ie: Nitrous, Superchargers, turbos and get this roll cages!!!!!! n

Good luck everybody just trying to help educate all alittle. Thanks for the bandwidth
Old 06-19-2003, 06:14 PM

Obviously people are satisfied with state farm... I'd like to know where all the companies stand (pros and cons) when compensating for after market parts. Also, ways to lower monthly insurance would be helpful to alot of people. I talked with my agent once about lowering the rates some how. You'd be surprised how many things you can do.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (untensadude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by untensadude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know what Liberty Mutual's policies are on this subject?</TD></TR></TABLE>

k, I'm gonna check out their policies on covering aftermarket parts. If I find out any useful info, I'll post it up.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Stolen cars and insurance PLEASE READ!!! (untensadude)

Boostfed - Tell me more about USAA since you work there and since that is my insurance company. I have a modded civic as you can see in my sig. What do I need to do to get my aftermarket parts covered or is that possible? I have full coverage through USAA on the car now. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Stolen cars and insurance