Notices

Stock turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock turbos?

I am planning on putting a turbocharger on my car and have been looking around at different ideas. I was looking at CXRacing kit, but dont want a turbo that may not last long or not even work at all. So now I'm looking into getting a turbo off a car that came with it stock. What older vehicles would have a good turbo that can be used for my b18b1 integra? I have a Garrett sitting in the basement but the turbine side has a t4 .96 a/r which is excessively large. I haven't seen too many dsm cars at the auto wreckers, but I know there is one 89 supra that still has one on it. But if I could get a list of cars with turbo's I could use and what type of power I'd be able to get out of them, thatd be great!

I'm looking to be around 250-330hp
Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stock turbos?

talons,eclipses,evos,subarus,supras,skylines,rx7s, volvos,any kind of diesel trucks pretty much, silvia's, conquest's, buick gnx, mazda protege speeds and some of the mazda speed 3's and 6's i think? 3000gt's, 300zx's, dodge stealth's and so many more. there are literally hundreds of turbocharged cars and other engines using turbos including airplanes.

for one most stock turbocharged engines will require you to do alot of fab work to make the turbo work on your setup. there are two threads somewhere with two guys "claiming" they are using evo 8 turbos on a b series but when i asked both to post more pics of the turbo neither have. mainly because i call BS on them and because i would like to actually confirm if it is in fact an evo 8 turbo since i do own one and think a b series with one attached would be a blast to drive.

you made a wise choice staying away from CXRacing and anything affiliated with ebay for that matter.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The two guys claiming aren't BSing, there's another B16 with one as well. BUT, they are using a custom manifold which was made specifically for it. One was the person's own fab work, and the other was from a company in Isreal (For the life of me I can't remember the name), but either way, ONLY the Evo 8 turbo was worth looking into. The others just didn't hold up well to a B18b

Getting some used turbo out of a junkyard means if something goes wrong, your custom work will go for naught, because you now had something that more than likely already had over 180,000KM on it, and will more than likely not be repairable if it dies on its last leg.

To be "reliable" get a reliable system from the jump start and go from there. Don't try to reintegrate OEM turbos into newer materials. This isn't '93, so don't treat it like this is something new.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol thanks.. Maybe I should've worded the post differently lol.. I'm looking for one that is more mid to top en power.. Most stock inline 4 turbo's make their power in the lower end of the powerband from my research on posts and maps. Is there any that would be able to give me power in the mid to top end of the powerband? I want something where I can stay out of boost when crushing around and going out trips. But give me the power I need for when I'm at the strip on weekends that I go.. Lol
Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And as for getting a used turbo, it's not expensive nor hard to rebuild a turbo. I know it's not 93... But why spend loads of money on my DD car when I don't need to? This is more for a fun factor to me and a hobby, then spending all my money to end up a little faster then a few other vehicles but not earn anything out of it.

I'm going the cheap route because if I break something I have a spare b18c and b18b1 complete engines sitting in my basement from when I used to have no life and wasted all my money on my car to have girls look at me lol it's a waste to me.. I have two other nicer cars that Id rather spend hard earned money on.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by strykr89
And as for getting a used turbo, it's not expensive nor hard to rebuild a turbo. I know it's not 93... But why spend loads of money on my DD car when I don't need to? This is more for a fun factor to me and a hobby, then spending all my money to end up a little faster then a few other vehicles but not earn anything out of it.

I'm going the cheap route because if I break something I have a spare b18c and b18b1 complete engines sitting in my basement from when I used to have no life and wasted all my money on my car to have girls look at me lol it's a waste to me.. I have two other nicer cars that Id rather spend hard earned money on.
Then you don't know about OEM turbos making that statement. You can't do that with most of them for the cost.

I see this is going to be pointless to have a discussion really of any kind, As you have made your decision regardless of experienced minds trying to look at both the pros and cons of your approach. But as we stated, only the Evolution 8 turbocharger will do what you're looking for. GL. "when one's cup is already full, it is difficult to fill it with anything else" -Niche
Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright I didn't make up my mind, I never said I did know everything about turbo's either I'm trying to get help on a cheaper way of getting my DC turbo'd. So your telling me not to get a used turbo, then say the evo 8 turbo will do what I'm lOoking for, but yet the other guy said theres no real proof. So which of you is the pro.. This is why a forum is useful.. Too ask questions.. I'm not getting mad or acting like I know everything as most Honda guys seem to do. I'm just trying to figure out what way I should go, and also what my options are.

Last edited by strykr89; 03-04-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Hit post by mistake (stupid cell)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Alright I didn't make up my mind, I never said I did know everything about turbo's either I'm trying to get help on a cheaper way of getting my DC turbo'd. So your telling me not to get a used turbo, then say the evo 8 turbo will do what I'm lOoking for, but yet the other guy said theres no real proof. So which of you is the pro.. This is why a forum is useful.. Too ask questions.. I'm not getting mad or acting like I know everything as most Honda guys seem to do. I'm just trying to figure out what way I should go, and also what my options are.
Actually what we're saying is rather clear. I'll break it down a bit.

1) For the most part, using OEM turbochargers is a ridculously costly endeavor in an effort to be cheap for very little benefit or result. Not to mention the fact that now you have some custom fabrication to do.

2)Rebuilding them is not what you think that it is for 99% of the OEM can't be rebuilt with any cost savings.

3) If you MUST get an OEM turbocharger, the Evolution 8 is the only one that has been known to produce any reasonable results of good midrange power. BUT, the only examples of them being used are based upon custom manifolds and downpipes made to let them work, which leads you back to point #1..

So, do as you must, but going this route is more costly than you think your "fun" project is going to be.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to rePlace the turbine on my garrett in the basement, it currently has a .96 a/r t4 turbine.

If its still not a cost worthy route, then I'll just wait a few months and piece a kit together.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Piece a kit. Just save up and do it that way.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any idea on what cheaper (good) turbo's for my needs would be? I don't plan on ever passing 300hp range since it'll be a DD and I still want good gas mileage.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Define "cheaper". Use a number, please.. Not a term like "not break the bank" . We're assuming new.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly just save up and buy the turbo that fits your goals/setup, no matter the price. I learned the hard way.

$125 - T3 60 trim - ran for 12k miles before bearings shot
$200 - Another T3 60 trim - slight damage to compressor/turbine
$125 - Rebuild fee from mhamrick on d-series.org, upgraded to T4 44 trim compressor
$50 - USPS damaged balanced assembly, went half-half on a new turbine.

Turbo lasted 1 day before the thrust bearing was shot. He had a 6 month warranty so I sent it back. He kept my turbo and stopped replying to me.

I spent over $500 and ended up with nothing. If I had bought a T3/T4 50 trim like I originally wanted, I'd be making a ton more power without any of this headache. Moral of the story, save up and get the correct parts instead of "getting by" with junkyard crap.

A T3/T4 50 trim would fit your goals perfectly, and are decently affordable.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes new, and I don't know hopefully under $1k for the charger.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

T3/t4? Or t3/t04e? 50 trim or could I push to 57 trim? If so what would the difference make?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

T3/T04E 50 trim. From what I've read, the 50 trim is pretty similar to the 57 trim but spools faster. Either will get you to 350whp easily.

From your earlier posts, being in boost is easily controlled by your gas pedal regardless of turbo size.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think something like this would be great on a daily. i know you can get them for alot cheaper than this price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Die...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 PM

Even Precision has their 5831 turbos that are under $700. Don't know about power or reliability, but its a nice in-between

http://www.precisionturbo.net/produc...m_medium=email
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 5831 seems like a good option! For the t3 turbine side shouldi get .48 or .63 a/r and is there a difference on 4bolt vs 5bolt for our cars?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM

The 5831 seems like a good option! For the t3 turbine side shouldi get .48 or .63 a/r and is there a difference on 4bolt vs 5bolt for our cars?
Go with the .63A/R option, and the 4 bolt housing as it is easier to integrate by far.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess there's a trade off between time spent on research, shopping around, fab (and perhaps risk) vs. paying more for new parts, but I am a fan of stock turbos both for OEM reliability and the general belief that sub-$1000 turbo setups and more expensive setups both often result in 'fun cars.'
Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just go on evolutionm.net and you will find a few evo turbos for cheap. I sold mine with an hf manifold for $150 bux.

Or do like others have stated and spend $500 on a good 50 trim. I got mine for $450 shipped in great condition.

GL
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ps. Don't let the twin scroll design scare you. If you are on a tight budget, you can run a cheap eBay manifold with no problems. Those small 16g's spool decently quick regardless. Just be aware that they do max out around 300whp. So 350 would def be pushing it
Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by boosted920
Ps. Don't let the twin scroll design scare you. If you are on a tight budget, you can run a cheap eBay manifold with no problems. Those small 16g's spool decently quick regardless. Just be aware that they do max out around 300whp. So 350 would def be pushing it
Don't get fooled by the e-bay manifold stuff either. Twin scroll is not necessary or of any use in your situation.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"You get what you pay for"

That does hold true to an extent. But coming from MY personal experience, I know a bud running a full eBay kit on his gsr eg and he's making 300whp. With a kit that cost him under a grand. The kicker, he got tuned at a reputable tuner who knows his sh*t. Also, my cousin in using an eBay special on his Nissan and is making over 450whp. He's had that setup for two years now. And he definitely enjoys his car

So just be careful and GET A TUNE!!

Quick Reply: Stock turbos?