Notices

Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built?

Due to financial consraints, I have to forgo the rods in my B20c project.
So here's the new plan.

85mm 9.5:1 CR pistons (Endyn rollerwave?)
shot peened P72 rods (done)
ductile iron sleeves and block guard (installed already)
jrsc at 8psi (got it)
Wet 50shot nitrous (it's collecting dust in my shop right now)

Since it will all be run by Hondata and tuned, it should be okay, but I'd like to know what some of the other HT members think. I know the rods will be the weak link, but will I really have to worry about it?

And please.....
Don't reply with "Endyn sucks", or the inevitable "go turbo". I know there are some great automotive minds on here, and I really would like to know what they think.

thanks!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (hypa)

I forget the correct names of the 2 diff types of superchargers, centrifigal/paxton. I think that might be it, but iv reada tid bit and it seems the one with the compressor makes more power? Im not sure if that is correct but im just trying to learn, so what made you go with the JRSC?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (I Need Money.)

I would get rods. Just wait a month and save up some money. It will save you money in the long run. Think of all the things you will have to do over again if a rod bends.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (bigjangin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigjangin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get rods. Just wait a month and save up some money. It will save you money in the long run. Think of all the things you will have to do over again if a rod bends.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah... Having the iron sleeves.. and then sticking to stock rods just doesn't make sense. I would just wait.

Plus, you *might* not really even be able to do it. Depends on the wrist pin. Stock rods are press fit and aftermarket are free-floating. Plus they may be totally different sizes all together.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Banned

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (MarkC)

def buy rods... **** i got a set of 4 for alot cheaper than you think... and they can handle alot of power.... alot more than ill put down.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (Irishweird00)

whipfactory has a special going on right now.
300 bones for eagle rods. shipped.

630-922-3327
Old 01-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (hypa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And please.....
Don't reply with "Endyn sucks", or the inevitable "go turbo". I know there are some great automotive minds on here, and I really would like to know what they think.

thanks!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i won't say that.. but i must say, if you can't afford to buy forged rods, don't run FI your car, what do you plan to do for repair? if you plan to have finances later on, then just wait and do it the right way later on.. not that it won't work, its just a minor issue (saving $$$ on rods) with all the work you having done. and i'm not writing this as a smart comment, just something to think about.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (vtec.dc2)

Stock rods on a build like that wouldn't be a good idea. What would you do if the rods give way and score your 85mm sleeves? If your going to start with stock rods atleast start out with a smaller bore so that when something fails you can safely bore it larger. My .02
Old 01-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (vtec.dc2)

Thanks for all the replies.
I have Eagle H beams on order, along with a set of 85mm JE's.

"My isn't an issue when your priorities are all fugged up!" - hypa, circa yesterday.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock rods are fine if you're tuned right. Stock rods have supported over 400hp many times, for many years. With a jrsc at 8lbs and 50 shot you won't be anywhere close to that so you're fine.

If you're on a tight budget, which it sounds like you are, your setup will last longer if you spend the $300 from rods on $300 worth of tuning. Although not a perfect solution, it is the better one.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (trbob16a)

Yeah... don't know why everyone is poo pooing on the stock rods... heh did say they would be shot-peened. Aren't the stock rods forged anyways ? I believe so.

But if you can afford to, go with the eagles...$300 is a great price and they CAN handle much more power w/o having second thoughts. Good choice.... nice build so far.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (X2BOARD)

Everyone is right man. Get the rods.

I got rods for my B16 project and now I'm broke.

But look on the bright side you have a lot of money invested on your bottom end do you realy want to take a risk and use the stock rods??

Contact ben at importparts.com and he will hook you up with some eagles and you'll be set. I did.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (I Need Money.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Need Money. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I forget the correct names of the 2 diff types of superchargers, centrifigal/paxton. I </TD></TR></TABLE> centrifugal, positive displacement, and sliding vane, are the 3 types. sliding vanes are rare on cars though.

positive displacement chargers are much less efficient than centrifugal, in both output and size. you can think of a centrifugal supercharger as the compressor side of a turbo hooked to your engine belt. a positive displacement supercharger uses 2 contoured overlapping rotors that rotate in a specially shaped housing, when the air is pushed out of the housing it is packed into a smaller space, thus creating boost. these are loud and inefficient however.

i need to find the damn period key on this thing...

Modified by 951 at 5:57 PM 1/19/2004
Old 01-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (951)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 951 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> a positive displacement supercharger uses 2 contoured overlapping rotors that rotate in a specially shaped housing, when the air is pushed out of the housing it is packed into a smaller space, thus creating boost. these are loud and inefficient however.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Effeciency is something that engineering geeks talk about.
It means noithing when you're on the street pulling on the ultra effecient turbo car who just can't get traction, or you're on the autoX track, and the turbo or centrifugal blower car just doesn't have the ability to pull out of the corners. Remember, we're talking traction limited FF cars here.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock rods, aftermarket pistons and sleeves. How built is built? (MarkC)

just do yourself a favor and wait to save up for the rods. get some eagles, pretty cheap IMO.

your engine is only as strong as your weakest link