Notices

Stock H22 turbo + block guard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock H22 turbo + block guard?

So, the shop that sold me my h22 really screwed me over. I specifically stated i wanted a 93-95 h22 CLOSED DECK because i planned on doing a stock turbo setup.

I go to change plugs for the first time after my tune... they torqued the ngk plugs in there so tight that i couldn't loosen them with a ratchet by hand. I ended up using a 2 foot torque bar and taking my time on them.. i got 3 out but the 4th plug came apart.. didn't break but actually came apart. so now my boy at Driven Performance in Charlotte sent the head off to the machine shop to get drilled out, i think its carbide they are drilling out thats seized to the head.

Anyway.. since the head is off we now see the head is OPEN DECK... not closed deck like i wanted and was told . But.. at least the motor internals are MINT, very few miles put onto them.

So, do H22 Block Guards help? I have heard good things and bad things, and researching it on the net really comes up empty handed. Its going to be a pretty conservative setup anyway not pushing the motor hard maybe 270-300 out of it, just want to have a little fun and keep it reliable.

Eventually down the road i do want to have it bored to 89mm and sleeved by golden eagle and stroke it, but until then is it safe to use block guards and have some fun, what are the risks of using one?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock H22 turbo + block guard?

No point in putting in a block guard, the factory sleeves are incredibly strong as it is. You're going to break your pistons before you break your sleeves since they're cast aluminum and have pretty weak ring lands
Old 09-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by viper_boy403
No point in putting in a block guard, the factory sleeves are incredibly strong as it is. You're going to break your pistons before you break your sleeves since they're cast aluminum and have pretty weak ring lands
He's right. The pistons are your weak link, stock sleeves will hold up for sure. Avoid the blockguard. When you're ready to sleeve and build, give us a call.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i have always heard first things to replace are the ring lands on a stock setup because after a while they just fail under the turbo pressure, and any more than like 350 output the pistons wont last long.

Alright so no on the block guard thanks guys. I was always under the impression that (with a stock setup) the closed decks were much stronger than open.. i guess maybe if your pushing it to the limit to see what it has before blowing up it might, but thats definately not what im doing here.

And thanks for the offer Kaizen speed but im covered by a good friend of mine, Driven of NC. I see you do some good work though.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually... thats a pretty decent price for Benson and return shipping. Ill keep you in mind when the time comes.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:26 PM

I agree about the block guard. Just watch out for shops that tell you what you want to hear and do what ever they want.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My block was golden eagle sleeved thru Reid at Kaizenspeed nothing but good from both companies
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nvm on that price my good friend just got a contract with benson so im good. If i didn't know him i would prob send my block to you guys and get golden eagle so nothing against you, you do great work.

So.. ill just turbo the H till the ring lands break or whatever else then ill sleeve it and have some real fun.