Notices

stock greddy wastegate adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 09:31 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock greddy wastegate adjustment

so how do i change the PSI on this bad boy? I need to lower my boost because my gauge is reading as high as 8-9 lbs, I think thats a bit excessive for a stock GSR block for daily driving, and i thought these things were preset under 7.5 lbs so why am i reading over 7.5 lbs?... well anyway what direction does that little nut need to travel? I'm guessing thats what you turn to change the boost.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:52 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (Aeka GSR)

are you sure it's the wastegate? cause you usually don't adjust them for boost. what's it supposed to run at stock? my greddy turbo for my civic is 5.5 and it was dead on. sure it's not your boost gauge or something?
Old 04-04-2002, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (clean)

are you running an intercooler? if not then that explains the higher boost..once you put an intercooler in then the pressure will drop
Old 04-04-2002, 10:04 PM
New User

Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (SagaGSR)

i'm still looking for an intercooler. so there is no way to adjust the boost manually? I guess I have to get a boost controller, huh?
Oh and my gauge is an Autometer (liquid filled, mechanical), I hear they are CRAP...

oh and the kit says that it is pre set to run under 7.5 lbs. and i hear most people say that it is set 5 lbs.

[Modified by Aeka GSR, 7:04 AM 4/5/2002]

[Modified by Aeka GSR, 2:34 PM 4/5/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Civic kits are made to run 5.5, not sure about the Tegs.

My Autometer was fine until yesterday, so I guess they are junk. It's only 4 months old.

You need to thread the nut on the wastegate actuator arm either way to raise or loewr boost.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so how do i change the PSI on this bad boy? I need to lower my boost because my gauge is reading as high as 8-9 lbs, I think thats a bit excessive for a stock GSR block for daily driving, and i thought these things were preset under 7.5 lbs so why am i reading over 7.5 lbs?... well anyway what direction does that little nut need to travel? I'm guessing thats what you turn to change the boost.
are you running a 3" exhaust? or a different filter than the kits? (so they come with filters?)

EDIT: if so you might be experiencing boost creep.

[Modified by BlueShadow, 8:26 AM 4/5/2002]
Old 04-05-2002, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres the deal...you dont change the boost on the wastegate by turning dials. It has a spring in it that is designed to open up at a certain pressure. If it opens at 9 pounds, then thats what the spring is rated at. You will NEVER be able to boost below that number, even if you buy a boost controler. The spring is always the bottom line on the boost. Putting an intercooler on it at that boost will dope drop it that much. Maybe .5........your best bet is to get a new spring from greddy that is rated for less boost.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (ninesecrx)

Ohhh and your exhaust size and running a air filter is NOT making you boost more. On a turbo...the fins make back pressure so you just need to get the exhaust out. if it holds steady at 9 pounds or so, thats what the springs at.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

........your best bet is to get a new spring from greddy that is rated for less boost.
I dont think the Mitsubishi turbos operate on a "spring" but instead the internal WG uses an actuator arm. I have heard of people tinkering with the arm/Mitsubishi WG's to either better control boost creep or to try to raise boost a little.

I'll look around a little to verify that.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ohhh and your exhaust size and running a air filter is NOT making you boost more. On a turbo...the fins make back pressure so you just need to get the exhaust out. if it holds steady at 9 pounds or so, thats what the springs at.
That is incorrect, I cant speak for modded Hondas, but it is a well known fact that opening up a restrictive exhaust and intake will cause your PSI to rise (boost creep). This is very true of stock turbo cars ie. MKIV's, FD's and 300ZX's, not sure for Hondas/Acuras but I'm almost certain the same thing applies.

on a turbo car the exhaust (anything after the turbine) will ccause backpressure, by opening up the exhaust, you relive the backpressure and raise the boost slightly. If you dont belive me visit http://www.rx7club.com and ask about whether or not upgrading the stock intake, DP, exhaust will increase boost.

EDIT: and also we are talking about a Greddy (Mitsubishi) turbo with an internal WG so boost creep is more likely with an internal WG.

[Modified by BlueShadow, 10:41 AM 4/5/2002]
Old 04-05-2002, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (BlueShadow)

Furthermore,

If you dont believe me about whether or not an intake or exhaust affects boost turn o page 141 of Maximum Boost if you have it.

"boost can be controlled by creating a restriction in the intake flow or exhaust flow. altough a smaller exhaust may be able to control or lower boost the increased backpressure (and combustion chamber temps) may not be worth it.

Old 04-05-2002, 04:06 AM

Undo the hook attatched to the valve on the right side of the turbo. Unroll the hook one full turn, and one turn only. Make the rod length longer and nor shorter. Too many turns and the turbo will not spool, so be carful as to what you are doing.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:33 AM

Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (Bigstothel)

your best bet for now is to retard anough to avoid detonation till you have your ic
good luck
Old 04-05-2002, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (mikvtec)

Ok a few things-

TD05-18G B-series turbo from GReddy it set for 7.8psi stock, moving the actuator arm fwd/bkwd will alter the boost, but I don't reccomend usuing this method since those who screw the arm NEVER seem to get it to operate just right afterwards. If you want to alter boost, get a boost controller. With my AVC-R I can boost as low as 3psi on my GReddy kit..
Old 04-05-2002, 05:41 AM
New User

Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (VTC_CiViC)

vtc_civic has the best answer i think.

and no im not running a 3" exaust, it's whatever size is available on the GReddy EVO for N/A engines. Plus I'm using the filter that came with the kit.

I guess I better get a boost controller and my IC QUICK!
Old 04-05-2002, 05:43 AM
New User

also, should i be worried about boosting up to "9 lbs" daily on a GSR stock block? or are these tough little *******?
Old 04-05-2002, 06:22 AM
Trial User

Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (Bigstothel)

Undo the hook attatched to the valve on the right side of the turbo. Unroll the hook one full turn, and one turn only. Make the rod length longer and nor shorter. Too many turns and the turbo will not spool, so be carful as to what you are doing.

Bingo. This is a trick the GN guys have used for years (except they shorten the rod to get more boost). Lengthening the rod will drop your boost.

[Modified by 5 Liter Eater, 9:22 AM 4/5/2002]
Old 04-05-2002, 06:32 AM
BMW Güdentyte

Drive like a grandma until you get an intercooler.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:12 AM
New User

Default Re: stock greddy wastegate adjustment (DB8GSR)

oh boy!
Old 04-05-2002, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah...after the turbine in a turbo...there is no such thing as too big. He is not boosting anough to get that though. I though you got the kit with the external wastegate, that is why I had my spring comment. You can boost 9 pounds on a stock block. It all depends on your current condition of your motor as of right now. Also, if you have any thing to tune the fuel, it will take nine pounds. NOT without the intercooler though. Im sure the intake temp is too high and should pic one up.