Notices

Stock ecu controls 8 injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 11:22 PM
RMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock ecu controls 8 injectors

We have just released a daughter board and harness for the OBDI ecus that allows staged control of 4 additional injectors. These can be online constantly, engage only with Vtec, or (soon to be released) switch from one set to the other at Vtec crossover. The transition is seamless and completely unnoticeable even when viewing datalog files.

We dynoed a '96 EX with the Edelbrock turbo kit today. This kit is supplied with an intake manifold that accomidates the 4 pencil-form fuel injectors included with the kit. Stock engine with 165k miles. With the kit as-installed the car made 165whp...close to the manufacturer's claim of 170whp. The addition of our plug-in OBDII/I ecu, Hondata, 4 addition injector driver daughter board+harness, and Greddy BC netted 207whp at 12psi with a VERY safe tune: 11:1 af and 1 degree/psi retard. 42whp increase! Not bad considering the kit only netted 55whp as installed over the factory whp.

This makes the new manifolds from Edelbrock, BBK, etc. with extra injector bosses perfect for Hondata tuning.

No wiring is necessary as all power/ground connections are within the ecu.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:28 AM
RMS

bump
Old 11-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RMS)

Really want to learn more about this. Link? Pics? How does it act with say Hondata?

Rob
Old 11-20-2003, 08:55 AM
RMS

It was developed specifically with Hondata, though it is not a slave to HD. It also works for non-Vtec ecus provided Vtec spool and pressure switch codes are dissabled.

by Sunday we should have an interem site up with pics and additional information
Old 11-20-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (RMS)

awesome

Sonny
Old 12-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ummmm.....so you went from 7psi to 12 psi and made 42 hp???? What the hell did you expect? Of course you are going to gain power from boosting 5 psi more. 12psi and 207whp......do the math.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:33 PM
RMS

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (fxrob)

fxrob: are you otr or what? try to increase the boost to 12psi with the piggyback and see what happens. and two sets of smaller staged injectors will always run better than one large set...why do you think high end stand alone units offer staged injection? and like i said, this is not for everyone; just serious tuners.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry but I wasn't otr Anyway, I see your point about the Link box not being able to support 12 psi very well. However you made your post sound like if you just add your product you would gain 42 hp! I just think that most people will just opt for Hondata and ditch the additional injectors. Just out of curiosity, how much is your product going to be sold for? I am currently looking for alternative fuel management for my Edelbrock kit, however I'm not looking into increasing boost at this point. If I ever do increase boost I wouldn't go past 8 or 9 psi. Thanks for anymore info you could give us.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome plan. Glad to see more available options to run multiple injectors. It's been no secret of tuning in japan for years, and it's time we catch up. Now set me up with an OBD0 setup and I'm in.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:25 PM
RMS

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (CRX-RX)

the injector drivers with the injector harness installed into your ecu is $300...trying to stay close to what another set of injectors and the labor for clip install would cost.
our obdi ecus with obdii plugs chipped and hondata ready (cn2, j1, j12) are $365 retail, no core required. these ecus have iab control but no knock. if you provide the core the price is of course, less.
for the '96 up ex we have a very good base map obviously for hondata no charge.
we sell hondata at their advertised prices as they have indicated this is their wish.

a single set of 440cc will work just as well with hondata, but....you still have the clips to install and the injectors to purchase. not a big dif in cost either way, but the extra drivers allow a TOTALLY simple plug and play: 15 minutes tops.

our current project is setting up a car to switch from one set of injectors to the other at vtec: seperate cell and pump for race gas with automatic switchover in the high boost mode. no harm to o2 sensor for such short bursts i believe.

seriously, thanks for the interest.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's cool but with as stated above you can idle 1000's just fine and they're definately enough for 600whp+ with a Magnaflow Pro Star EFI 600 pump and regulator supplying ~55psi... If for some reason you're running higher boost than say 30lbs. (not really the limit for 1000's) we'll normally just run Motec M48 or M800, though they are expensive I would take a Motec EMS over anything (it's super clean and does the job perfectly)... That's just me tho, keep us updated... Peace
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 PM
RMS

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (Kataku2K3)

kataku, give everyone a cost comparison to put what you just said into perspective...apples and oranges when $ are factored in. anyone running motec on a single cam for the street is SERIOUS and rich. even motec can be configured for staged injectors. if cost is no object motec is hands down the choice, i won't even debate that. if cost is no object.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:27 AM
New User

lol this is funny because i was thinking about this a few months back and thought it was possible.

to ya.

i think its a cool idea and they are missing the point. most wont ever use it, but if they need or want its there.

Tom
Old 12-05-2003, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Additional injectors has always piqued my interest, but I'm a little hesitant to move forward with the idea because the cost would probably be more than some off the shelf management. I really like the idea though - it's rather simple. Have a map/speed sensing unit that drives the additional injectors, keep the map from seeing excessive positive pressure and have some sort of timing managment - bam - you're golden. Meanwhile keeping stock and off boost performance the same (and reliable). Grr... if only I could make up my mind
Old 01-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (dennis)

on what steet car are u gonna need a 8 injectors when most stanalones can idle a 1000cc's no problem... it seems a lil overkill u can easly make near700 hp on a 4 injector setup.. just my opinon tho..

ditto
Old 01-06-2004, 10:12 AM

alright people leave vern alone, he has just invented something that made power, and he thought he would tell us about it ,thats all. jeez, like a pac of wolves to a dead moose.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (B18CXr)

Typical honda-tech bullshit, you put the time and effort into engineering a solution, building it from scratch, which just puts another tool in the toolbox of everyone, and everyone ***** all over you for it.

Instead of everyone speculating why it won't work, maybe we could direct are energy into thinking of new practical uses.

water/propane/nitrous/alky-methyl/chiller injection. Turbo antilag.

Let's try and find ways to embrace and utilize new tools, not become ******* tools ourselves, eh?

-PHiZ
Old 01-06-2004, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (PHiZ)

I agree its a nice invention. Not sure about the pricing yet as it seems a little expensive but hey if it works good.. I do like the idea of water/alky injection control. Is the software part of hondata or will the be tuned separately? Currently I'm running uberdata.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (Overblown-Teg)

we have toyed with the idea of wiring 2 sets of injectors serialy. use 2 low impetance injecotrs per driver. then just tune the map with both sets running all the time. there are a couple of people that are doing this with the aem ems wtih good results.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (JDogg)

jdogg, was there anything the AEM EMS did special to see those injectors in serial?
i was going to run some stock obd0 LS injectors with some low 2.9 ohm 330 cc injectors..
i wouldnt use the EMS cuz i can mod my fuel and Ign tables with TurboEdit
i was thinking about having a relay that would bring the 330's in at VTEC.
i've been brain storming bout this for a few days..
Old 05-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (Speedz)

any more info ?

stan
Old 05-20-2004, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (Flamenco-T)

Speedz, how exactly would you be driving the 330's? With the relay or is that just to activate another circuit? If you're using the relay as an actual switch for each injector I just don't see that working, you need something fast which is when I would use a FET. Again you mentioned bringing them on at your VTEC x-over so you might be talking about using another circuit. Let me know, just curious as to what you're doing
Old 05-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (Kataku2K3)

kataku2k3,
i'm not exactly sure how i'm going to do it yet.. a have a few friends at work who are EE's i might see what they think for another circuit to drive the extra injectors..
i was hoping for something cheap simple and easy to DIY.. i'm still getting ideas at this point.. RMS's $300 for their solution is way too much for me..
i might just have it setup to run both at same time in series or something like that.
i just dont wanna blow my ecu injector driver circuit.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock ecu controls 8 injectors (Speedz)

Oh I see, that would be cool if you could get something figured out. Good luck and keep us posted. -Adam
Old 05-25-2004, 10:09 PM
i HAS questions ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RMS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This makes the new manifolds from Edelbrock, BBK, etc. with extra injector bosses perfect for Hondata tuning.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

BBK makes intake manifolds now?