Notices

Stock Boosted H22A...blew pistons and rings...what should i replace with? Tune/No Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Boosted H22A...blew pistons and rings...what should i replace with? Tune/No Tune?

Hi all

I have a 99 accord w/a jdm h22a boosted with a revhard turbo kit. The motor is stock. I dont know how it happened, but it has half the compression it should have, and i did tests with dropping in oil to the cylinders and everything, and it turns out that the pistons are probobly bad, and the rings need to be replaced...hopefully the sleeves are still good.

Anyway, i was wondering what would be the best way out. I am not planning on keeping my car, i dont want to put anymore money into it. I am saving up for a new car, that already comes with boost . I just want to fix my car so it runs fine and safe, and sell it.

Should i just replace the pistons and rings with stock ones, or would it be better to get the forged pistons? Would it make a difference in how much boost i would be able to run/safeness?

Also, should i tune the car or not bother with it? In order words, does it "HAVE" to be tuned in order to drive it safely? If i tune it, should i get injectors, performance ECU? Any other parts? Again, i really dont want to put anymore money into the car..

Thank you very much for any kind of information/tips you can give me.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Boosted H22A...blew pistons and rings...what should i replace with? Tune/No Tune? (KaRiZMa

Question? What were you using for fuel management if your talking about should I get it tuned the next time around or not??
Old 03-12-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Stock Boosted H22A...blew pistons and rings...what should i replace with? Tune/No Tune? (KaRiZMa

all i had was MSD fuel pump (added on), vortec fuel management unit...thats it. I dont really know too much about this stuff, too bad. I just take it to the shop and have them do it....i guess they messed something up..
Old 03-12-2005, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drop the f23 bomber in that bitch and unload it .. HAAHAHAAHAA...

maybe give the buyer the option of redoing the H22 turbo setup.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably blew a ringland or four. H22's have weak piston ringlands, and they are usually the first thing to go.

The easiest way out? sell the turbo setup. Use the money to buy OEM pistons and rings for the ones you did break. Get the motor rebuilt and sell the car. Why bother doing anything more with it if you are only gonna sell it right?
Old 03-12-2005, 05:54 AM

If the pistons are okay then go get chromoly rings and just run low boost you could probibly sell it for alittle more with the turbo kit ordo what ^ that guy said to do
Old 03-12-2005, 02:37 PM

all i had was MSD fuel pump (added on), vortec fuel management unit...thats it. I dont really know too much about this stuff, too bad. I just take it to the shop and have them do it....i guess they messed something up..
Old 03-12-2005, 02:58 PM

That is a pretty good idea to sell that turbo kit, but the thing is....i bought the kit exactly a year ago and had the car at a (shitty) mechanic shop that kept the car for 5 months and still managed to mess it up. I have gone almost a year without a car now (5 months at the shop, 6 months in my garage getting body work/conversions done).

I dont really want to go through the trouble of taking off the turbo kit and selling the car without it. I want to get this thing running good, replacing those piston rings and pistons with the heavy duty ones, and i want to drive the car around for a little bit (1-2 months) before i sell it. I dont want to feel like i put all that time, work, and money into it, just so i can sell it and lose the money i put into it. I want to get some "Joy" out of what i created.

Maybe when im selling it, i would probobly be selling it through ebay becuase its easy and quick, i can say that if the price doesnt go over (so and so), ill take off the vertical door kit/turbo kit/sound system. Whatever works.

Anyway, i think that i could probobly get a good set of pistons and rings online for not a bad price am i right? Any ideas on what would be the best ones to get?

Is it necessary to tune the h22a turbo car before driving it? In other words, if i dont tune it, will i blow the motor easily if i push it a little?
Old 03-12-2005, 03:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KaRiZMa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyway, i think that i could probobly get a good set of pistons and rings online for not a bad price am i right? Any ideas on what would be the best ones to get?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do stock ones sound, because you can't put a forged piston in the stock FRM bores without dishing out 1000+ for resleeving

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KaRiZMa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it necessary to tune the h22a turbo car before driving it? In other words, if i dont tune it, will i blow the motor easily if i push it a little?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely

Maybe instead of sinking all that money into hideous body work you should have actually gotten the car tuned and running properly, with a competent mechanic.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KaRiZMa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont really want to go through the trouble of taking off the turbo kit and selling the car without it. I want to get this thing running good, replacing those piston rings and pistons with the heavy duty ones, and i want to drive the car around for a little bit (1-2 months) before i sell it. I dont want to feel like i put all that time, work, and money into it, just so i can sell it and lose the money i put into it. I want to get some "Joy" out of what i created.

Is it necessary to tune the h22a turbo car before driving it? In other words, if i dont tune it, will i blow the motor easily if i push it a little?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you know what all is involved in building up a H22 for turbo? if you just swap out the pistons for OEM then it will eventually break again later on down the road. Even if you did manage to get a good EMS, fuel pump and properly sized injectors all that extra power could break the ringlands again. To be able to reliably boost your H22 you have to build the motor, that means pistons and rods. But due to the way the H22 sleeves are designed you have to get it sleeved too. AIf you do decide to build the motor, you'd be an idiot to stick with the FMU setup, so you'd have to spend a little more money to get a good fuel system and EMS and also to get it tuned. Then once that is done you're gonna sell it.

You need to make up your mind about what you want to do with this car. You say you dont wanna spend any more money on it and that you want to sell it. But you also talk about wanting to keep the turbo kit and a rebuild, which means you spend money, and you also say you wanna get some enjoyment out of it first so that means you dont wanna get rid of it yet.

If you do decide to sell it dont just get an OEM rebuild and keep the turbo kit on. The person that buys your car is just gonna end up with a blown motor, and they are gonna be pissed at you for selling them the car.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:10 AM

To make it short...

If i get the stock replacment pistons and turn the boost down to like 5/6, will the motor run fine for at least 6 months?

Are there any kind of more durable pistons/rings i can get that will fit into the stock H22A block?

I really dont want to go out spending loads of money resleaving the motor since im going to be selling it anyway. I just want to fix it the cheapest way possible so i can drive it for a couple months and then sell it to someone who will be able to drive it and not have any problems with it until he/she decides to do the engine build up.

I also heard that if the pistons and rings are all done, the sleeves are most likely to be ruined too. Could i take out the H22A and put in an H23 bottom end w/the H22A crank/rods, and new pistons/rings and have it run fine?

What if:

I replace the bad pistons/rings w/stock H22A pistons/rings, turn down the boost to 4/5/6, and tune the car? Will that make it safer?

Thank you for all your feedback

Old 03-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guy, just put a new h22a in there and sell it.

part out the h22a if there are any good parts.

and never turbocharge another engine ever again.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you tune your car with a good EMS, then it will last. The easiest way to do this is drop another h22 in it and get it tuned. This way the motor will last a long while and then you can decide whether or not you want to keep it.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your management is the suckage right now.... besides that though, you might look into some forged pistons for it. Definitely much better insurance. Check out http://www.importperformancepa....html
Old 03-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always wondered if those pistons would work. They say it works but who knows. Anyone want to try them?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Trial User

Your sig says you dyno'd at 350whp? What psi was that at? That could be the reason why stuff blew
Old 03-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do stock ones sound, because you can't put a forged piston in the stock FRM bores without dishing out 1000+ for resleeving
</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ listen to what this guy said

IMO, ditch the turbo, pull the blown H22, drop an F23 back in and then sell the car. you can get an F23 w/ low miles for under $400

or get another stock H22 and swap it in and turn the boost way the hell down or you'll do this all over again.

I'm on my 3rd blown F23 motor right now, stock honda ringlands suck.... at least newer ones....
Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (2point2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">guy, just put a new h22a in there and sell it.

part out the h22a if there are any good parts.

and never turbocharge another engine ever again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get a new shortblock or even longblock, then sell the blown H22 on here. I'm sure theres someone that wants it.

Also, on your Cardomain site it says you have Hondata. If so, throw away the FMU and why the hell didn't you get the car tuned before?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 PM

To make it short...

If i get the stock replacment pistons and turn the boost down to like 5/6, will the motor run fine for at least 6 months?

Are there any kind of more durable pistons/rings i can get that will fit into the stock H22A block?

I really dont want to go out spending loads of money resleaving the motor since im going to be selling it anyway. I just want to fix it the cheapest way possible so i can drive it for a couple months and then sell it to someone who will be able to drive it and not have any problems with it until he/she decides to do the engine build up.

I also heard that if the pistons and rings are all done, the sleeves are most likely to be ruined too. Could i take out the H22A and put in an H23 bottom end w/the H22A crank/rods, and new pistons/rings and have it run fine?

What if:

I replace the bad pistons/rings w/stock H22A pistons/rings, turn down the boost to 4/5/6, and tune the car? Will that make it safer?

Thank you for all your feedback

Old 03-15-2005, 07:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notoriousB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

^^^ listen to what this guy said

IMO, ditch the turbo, pull the blown H22, drop an F23 back in and then sell the car. you can get an F23 w/ low miles for under $400

or get another stock H22 and swap it in and turn the boost way the hell down or you'll do this all over again.

I'm on my 3rd blown F23 motor right now, stock honda ringlands suck.... at least newer ones....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Question: What if the h22 block is good, and all thats wrong with it is the rings/pistons. Why not just replace the rings and pistons and turn the boost way down? It should run fine then right? Unless the sleeves are screwed, then couldnt i get a cheap h23 block, put my good h22 parts into that, put new pistons and rings, turn the boost down and drop it in?

What city are you from?

Thanks for the help
Old 03-15-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: (1 cam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 cam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get a new shortblock or even longblock, then sell the blown H22 on here. I'm sure theres someone that wants it.

Also, on your Cardomain site it says you have Hondata. If so, throw away the FMU and why the hell didn't you get the car tuned before?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I need to change that off the site. I was planning on getting hondata when i was making that site, but i didnt because i need to do more research. Theres a few people telling me to get the Greddy instead. I dont really know what to get...

Are you saying that if i get either hondata, or greddy ECU and some larger injectors (size?) and have a performance shop tune it, i can throw away my Vortec FMU and my MSD Fuel pump? I dont exactly know how that works...
Old 03-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KaRiZMa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Question: What if the h22 block is good, and all thats wrong with it is the rings/pistons. Why not just replace the rings and pistons and turn the boost way down? It should run fine then right? Unless the sleeves are screwed, then couldnt i get a cheap h23 block, put my good h22 parts into that, put new pistons and rings, turn the boost down and drop it in?

What city are you from?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yep, you certainly can replace the pistons & rings, are you going to do that with the motor in the car tho? You gonna get stock pistons? Most aftermarket forged pistons will chew up the H22 cylinder walls. I saw a thread about some Mahle pistons that *should* work w/ the H22 walls without resleeving. It's pretty current, you may want to look into those.

Most likely if you haven't driven it much w/ the blown ringlands your cylinder walls are ok. Problem is you won't know till you tear it down and check.

I'm in Peabody, you're right in Beverly huh? I do all my own work, if you need a hand let me know. With that much work into the car it'd be a shame to sell it now... -B
Old 03-16-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: (1 cam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 cam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, on your Cardomain site it says you have Hondata. If so, throw away the FMU and why the hell didn't you get the car tuned before?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I need to change that off the site. I was planning on getting hondata when i was making that site, but i didnt because i need to do more research. Theres a few people telling me to get the Greddy instead. I dont really know what to get...

Are you saying that if i get either hondata, or greddy ECU and some larger injectors (size?) and have a performance shop tune it, i can throw away my Vortec FMU and my MSD Fuel pump? I dont exactly know how that works...
Old 03-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KaRiZMa)

how about you take the motor and tranny that you have for sale in ur sig and put it back in the car so that u can sell it. this way u still have an h22 swap on the side.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:44 PM

Wow man, im in peabody typing this as we speak! lol. Small world we live in. Do you know Anderson by any chance? He used to own the lime green celica i have now.

Anyway, i really appreciate all your help. I dont know where to begin with my car. I dont know much about this stuff sadly . I guess my only choice would be to just get the stock replacement pistons. I dont know if i should try those knew ones your talking about. What if they dont work... and i end up with the same problem over again....then again, its probobly better to try them out rather then blow the stock pistons again. Unless i turn down that boost...?

Do you know how to replace pistons and all that? I will pay you if you could help me out to get my car running again... I lived in Bev w/my girlfriend, we now live in rockport.

Do you have a shop or garage?

Thanks again for your help

Who do you know from around here? Im pretty sure we know a lot of the same people.

ATO Graphics
Alamo w/the Baby blue 4 door accord
Chad w/silver hatch (Previously orange w/RSX front conversion)
Greg w/92 integra gsr and subaru wrx
Santos 01 accord 2 door blue airride, vert door?
Marcel 01 celica light blue w/vert door?

Quick Reply: Stock Boosted H22A...blew pistons and rings...what should i replace with? Tune/No Tune?