Notices

Steel I/C Pipes Heatsoaking. Wrap or Foil to Help?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel I/C Pipes Heatsoaking. Wrap or Foil to Help?

Hey guys, I cant find any solid info on this, I am experiencing some very hot underhood temps, hotter than I would like with my setup.

And ofcourse since Im DIY all the way I went with steel intercooler chargepipes because thats what I can weld and fabricate in house. Well they are getting HOT after driving in 90+ degree days, like cant touch them hot.

I have both thermal exhaust header wrap aswell as the sticky backed aluminum foil with thin fiberglass weave underneath it.

Which product would you use and would either be beneficial for me? At this point Im thinking I want to use the foil to keep the heat away from absorbing into the pipe.

Any clarification would be awesome!! thanks alot guys
Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steel I/C Pipes Heatsoaking. Wrap or Foil to Help?

90F outside and your trying to keep charge pipes cool to the touch?

have you datalogged your IAT?
there was a thread a while back about this one guy sharing some data but not sure where it is.

he ended up using gold foil.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My set up is like an incinerator under the hood. Not much solving that issue in interested in what you do
Old 06-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do this man. my IAT's were ranging from 130 to 155 farenheit here in LA during summer and sometimes 160 If I left the car sitting outside after just using it. this would cause a rough start and leaner AFRs sometimes with RC injectors.

-Get a turbo blanket and make sure its on tight

-wrap your downpipe and dumptube from your wastegate with heatwrap but first paint them with heat spray paint from AutoZone to prevent corrosion and better cooling(faster turbo spool too)

-use same heat paint from AutoZone on your headers also (and wrap them too if you like but I don't, too much work too wrap the ramhorn)

-use same heat paint(VHT brand) on charge pipes

-use same paint and coat the whole turbo, even the cold side

-get a hondata or golden eagle intake manifold gasket (the ebay ones work too, I had one before I bought the hondata one and my IATs were the same in my s300, but make sure its made of that special plastic material)

- get some hood spacers, this helps a lot too, and you don't need exaggerated ones, just enough to let some airflow through

- also if you turbo or manifold is too close too your engine block or radiator then consider getting one with a better design that doesn't have them sit so dam close to eachother
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the manifold and downpipe wrapped? Turbo blanket. Eliminate the heat sources and that will reduce under good temps in turn rwducing way soak on charge pipes. Supposedly the gold foil is very good at reflecting radiant heat. Either way with high ambient themes charge pipes will rise in temp
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The manifold, downpipe and dump are wrapped, single layer though I could probably do them more with bigger overlaps. I have a blanket but it doesnt fit my current turbo, but it will fit my next setup. I do also have hood spacers, only 3/8" and removed the rubber firewall gasket. Not sure how much that helped but some Im sure

Im really just curious if I should use the fiberglass exhaust header wrap or the aluminum foil stuff

Im leaning towards the foil at this point though
Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmm, I too run steel pipes but I've never had an issue with them being super hot. I wouldnt wrap them because that's just gonna keep the heat in.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I too ran steel charge pipes back in the day and they never got hot to a point of not being able to touch them and this was on my old car where the motor ran really hot and under hood temps were REALLY high.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thats awesome thanks for sharing!!...

I dont think wrap would hold heat in though, maybe it would, but I dont think it would really ever let the pipes get as hot as they do and warm the air.At a loss of using the foil or wrap
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Hmm, I too run steel pipes but I've never had an issue with them being super hot. I wouldnt wrap them because that's just gonna keep the heat in.
Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
I too ran steel charge pipes back in the day and they never got hot to a point of not being able to touch them and this was on my old car where the motor ran really hot and under hood temps were REALLY high.
^^This. Steel has higher heat absorption properties than Aluminum. Your attempt by wrapping the pipes suggest that its the engine bay heat that is causing the problem. It is, but its one factor. I'd look to the intercooler that you're using as well. If its not exchanging hotter compressed air from the turbocharger to a lower temperature effectively, not only would the intercooler slightly soak, but it would keep the air going into the throttle body at a higher temperature than it should be. Add the fact that you're using steel pipes that absorb more exogenric heat from inside the pipe, and you have hot pipes.

Check your intercooler, your tune, first. Wrapping the pipes doesn't really solve the problem enough at this point to eliminate your issues.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Im using a Go-Autoworks medium intercooler 24X7X2.5 I believe. Should be efficient for 250whp right? I forget what cores they have
Old 06-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a pretty small fmic but should be sufficient for 250hp work of air. Next time you drive the car feel intercooler bot end tanks and if have infrared thermal gun take temp readings to be sure intercooler is doing its job
Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steel IC piping will not be any hotter than aluminium piping. Its the under hood temps. wrap the piping in thermal header wrap as well as the turbo mani, down pipe and dump tube, put a thermal turbo blanket over the turbo and that will help a bunch with under hood temps. Getting anything you can ceramic coated will help as well but it is pricey.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Why header wrap over the foil??