Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

Hows the turbo so far?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Also I got the radiator fan working. I swapped out the sensor on the thermostat housing and now the fan kicks on, but for some reason it doesn't turn on until 196* ect even if I tell the ecu to turn it on sooner. On my hatch I alway set it to come on a 186*. Idk I'll look into it more later on.
I was under the impression that the ECU based fan control used the ECT sensor located in the head. The OEM setup uses the thermoswitch near the thermostat which activates around 196 which is not controlled by the ECU at all its a simple thermoswitch that runs to a relay.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Hows the turbo so far?
Honestly I need more street time and the tune more dialed before I can give an honest opinion on it, but so far I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I was under the impression that the ECU based fan control used the ECT sensor located in the head. The OEM setup uses the thermoswitch near the thermostat which activates around 196 which is not controlled by the ECU at all its a simple thermoswitch that runs to a relay.
Thats what I thought too, but the fan won't kick on until that thermoswitch engages at 196* even when the ecu is telling it to turn on at 186*. If I jump the connector at the thermoswitch the fan turns on even when the ecu is not telling it to. Idk I'll mess with it more when I get time.

On a side note I'm loving the radiator set up, when the car is moving my coolant temp stays right at 180*.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah gonna steal that one lol. Hard to keep this bitch cool.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

super cool car man !
Old 08-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I jump the connector at the thermoswitch the fan turns on even when the ecu is not telling it to. Idk I'll mess with it more when I get time.
This seems normal pretty sure my car would do the same, but not being able to turn it down is another story seems pretty odd like an ecu or software issue
Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it tuned to about 7psi now with vtec, this thing on only 7psi will without a doubt kill my wrx on 19psi with an 18g turbo lol. I'm loving this car right now. It's so damn responsive and fun to drive. Can't wait to get more seat time with it. I figure I'll tune it to around 10psi for now as I get more time to mess with it. This thing already rips pretty good though.

Put an ITR front lip on the car. I kinda like it I just wish I didn't have to run a front license plate, looks like poo hanging off the side lol.

I really really like this k-tuned shifter paired with solid aluminum shifter bushings.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Love it! You work fast man. I still refer to your last build all the time.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, super clean and youre using all the right parts. Im definitely a fan. I would love to see a video if you have the time/equipment!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
This seems normal pretty sure my car would do the same, but not being able to turn it down is another story seems pretty odd like an ecu or software issue
I finally got the fan control working. It was wired the right way from the factory, but for some reason a12 for fanc was not grounding when it was activated. Pretty weird as this is a fresh p28 ecu from hamotorsports. I just wired the evap output instead and it's working great now. I have it set to turn on at 186* and I have yet to see coolant temps above 190*, but it was only 80* today. I saw as low as 175* coolant temp on the highway, I don't think I'm gonna have a problem keeping this thing cool lol.

Originally Posted by averyvm
Love it! You work fast man. I still refer to your last build all the time.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1
Wow, super clean and youre using all the right parts. Im definitely a fan. I would love to see a video if you have the time/equipment!
Thanks! I do plan on getting some videos of this thing ripping around soon.

So I have a pretty solid tune on the car now. It's on 10psi and feels pretty damn fast, I'd guess it's in the mid 300whp range. Maybe I'll take it to the track before it closes for the year to see what it traps. Idle and cruising afr is 15-15.5 tapering down to 12.5 at boost transition and 11.5-11.7 in boost. No knock during wot with my homemade det can. Timing is still conservative about 18* at 10psi. Honestly it's about as fast as I want it to be right now for a street car. This car is so damn fun to drive, it's extremely responsive. I'm so glad I went with the ball bearing version of the hunter turbo, recovery spool after shifts is insanely fast, there is no waiting for boost to come back, it's just right back to the power. I remember on my hatch with the jb precision 5431 there was a definite delay in boost between shifts.

Finally washed the car for the first time lol. Also raised the coilovers a little, installed the fender liners, made some new grounds for the valve cover and trans, blacked out the badges and put them back on, and just tried to tidy up the bay a little. I grounded my wideband to the thermostat housing where the ecu is grounded and that took care of the offset issue between the gauge and laptop. Here's a few pics I snapped today, I know I take too make pics lol.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Your car looks great! It's definitely a sleeper, you should be able to surprise people with it!
Old 09-03-2016, 05:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Reminds me of ole' Calidad when he 1st started *sniffle*.

You raised it up well.No stance, no b.s.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Your car looks great! It's definitely a sleeper, you should be able to surprise people with it!
Thanks man! That's the plan

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Reminds me of ole' Calidad when he 1st started *sniffle*.

You raised it up well.No stance, no b.s.
Yeah I don't like the whole stance bs lol. I definitely got a lot of motivation from Calidad's build. I appreciate all your help to bring this build together Mac.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:15 AM

Thanks man! That's the plan

I definitely got a lot of motivation from Calidad's build. I appreciate all your help to bring this build together Mac.
It also reminds me of LOWLUDE22's setup as well. Here's a layout of his.

Standard radiator, different turbocharger, GSC camshafts and GE sleeved, but his biggest "bang for buck" was the better intercooler:

Once you get that to a better intercooler down the road, it will be even more interesting.

In the meantime, enjoy it! Good times!

Old 09-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Videos!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Videos!
I know I know. I need someone to hold the damn camera lol. Or I just need to buck up and buy a go pro and mount.

Gotta rep the STC sticker

I trimmed the under tray to fit and mounted it. Hopefully this will help keep the bay cleaner too.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the tune pretty dialed in. I'm very happy with how it runs and performs. I took some pics of my plugs after at 3rd gear wot pull shutting it down at redline. Table timing was ~18*, actual timing was ~27*, boost was ~10psi, and afr was mid 11s, and vtec is at 4,800 rpm, all the info is in the pic of the data log. This was a brand new set of ngk bkr7e plugs with just a couple pulls on them to get em good and hot. I also sanded the coating off the ground strap so I could actually see the color change. It's kind of hard to see exactly where the blue line is on the ground strap in the pics, but it's right at or slightly before the bend. I could probably get away with a little bit more timing, but I'd rather keep it safe and conservative as I'm happy with the power it makes. Keep in mind this motor is 10.6-1 compression and I only have access to 92 octane pump gas. I also took some pics of the data log from this pull with these plugs, and the fuel and timing maps. Hope this will help some of you other diy tuners out there.

High cam ignition

Low cam ignition

High cam fuel

Low cam fuel
Old 09-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mint
Old 09-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Small insignificant update time lol. I installed a water temp gauge were the dimmer switch used to be. I just jumped the 2 wires going to the dimmer to make the dash lights full bright, just like I leave it anyways. Got this one from JEGS it cost about $50 and its decently accurate, typically reads within 2-10* of the factory ect sensor. You can see below the gauge were I have a toggle switch to start recording datalogs too. This car runs so damn cool with this radiator setup, I have the fan set to come on at 186* and have yet to see coolant temps about 190* even sitting in traffic on a 95* day. Car is running really well and is a blast to drive. I'm gonna try to get some videos of this thing up soon.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribed! Glad to see you back with another build
Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great info, keep up the good work!!!
Old 09-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by drmix
Subscribed! Glad to see you back with another build
Originally Posted by seelback
great info, keep up the good work!!!
Thanks guys!

I'm thinking about a simple brake upgrade next. What are you guys opinions on hawk hps brake pads? I'll either get my oem rotors turned or buy brembo blanks or just napa blanks. I just want a little more stopping power, I don't think an all out big brake upgrade is necessary for my use of this car at this point. Here's a link to the pads I'm looking at.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/HAWK-HPS-Performance-Brake-Pad-FRONT-REAR-for-Acura-92-01-Integra-GSR-94-95-96-/281232918507?nav=SEARCH
Old 09-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my ITR/mini cooper setup. Plenty of stopping power and the cost isnt too bad for what you get. Might be a little more than your wanting to spend but you can never have enough stopping power especially when it comes to multiplying the amount of power the car was designed to handle.

Drmix's 96 CGP GSR Turbo Drag Build Thread - Page 10 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
Old 09-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

I use Hawk HPS pads on my Accord with 11.1" V6 rotors and ITR calipers. They're a great street pad. Virtually no noise, great performance and very resistant to fade. Only problem I've found is they create a lot of dust.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:04 PM

I wouldn't use the turned rotors. On the harder pads they degrade even faster. A new set of OEMs, will do the job

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-18-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build