Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

Yep..

Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Not really, I’ve kinda lost motivation for the time being. I did end up stripping all my parts off the car and the shell is currently for sale and I bought a 92 eg coupe that I will be swapping everything over to. This one will be more of a dedicated race car, probably with a cage and all. I’m sure I’ll find some motivation before too long and start working on it again. Maybe I’ll even make a new build thread...
Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes Nippon p30 pistons. Pretty good for the money imo.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/JDM-NIPPON-RA...kAAOSw0e9UugMR
yeah there very strong
Old 11-10-2017, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

So thats what 2000whp does.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Since most of the pictures of you putting everything together no longer work could you tell me about your feed line/turbo filter setup?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sikefcrx89
Since most of the pictures of you putting everything together no longer work could you tell me about your feed line/turbo filter setup?
It’s -3an feed line coming off a T at the oil pressure sensor, with a -3an Woodward inline oil filter with a -3an 90* off the .035” oil restrictor at the turbo. I hope that all made sense lol. Here’s a link to the inline oil filter from stc. I got my oil line, restrictor, and inline filter through STC 👍

Inline Oil Filter & Oil Restrictor - Woodward Machine
Old 11-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here’s an old pic I dug up were you can kind of see the feed setup at the turbo I was trying to explain lol.

Man looking through old pics is making me miss this thing, I might have to actually get off my *** and start working on the new project...
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It didnt also really help that the 2nd and 3rd cylinder see much higher backpressure with that manifold right?
No matter what you tell me i dont like that manifold at all if you look at anything over the edge on performance.
Unless you run a motec or something and tuned each cylinder on a different 3D map.
Id really like someone to make a REALIABLE manifold of this ebay design.

Also dear god this pistons held the shockwave AND the debris.
This is not good for my brain.It itches me to get em now.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It’s -3an feed line coming off a T at the oil pressure sensor, with a -3an Woodward inline oil filter with a -3an 90* off the .035” oil restrictor at the turbo. I hope that all made sense lol. Here’s a link to the inline oil filter from stc. I got my oil line, restrictor, and inline filter through STC ��

Inline Oil Filter & Oil Restrictor - Woodward Machine
Perfect sense. Thanks. I have seen Turbo Smart have similar looking filters. Most were -4an though,and couldn't see the name so thought I would ask. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:33 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
It didnt also really help that the 2nd and 3rd cylinder see much higher backpressure with that manifold right?
No matter what you tell me i dont like that manifold at all if you look at anything over the edge on performance.
Unless you run a motec or something and tuned each cylinder on a different 3D map.
Id really like someone to make a REALIABLE manifold of this ebay design.

This is a classic case of "don't knock it until you try it, first." That very "Mini-ram" design is extremely efficient for its capabilities, and doesn't require something as exotic as a MOTEC to be able to work effectively and for long periods of time. From my experience with that manifold, as much as I don't like the fact that it sits that low, it does an amazing job of keeping the runners long enough, but the primaries not too large in order to support a wide variety of turbochargers, from GTX2860RS to GT3588Rs. It is truly one of the best of two worlds when it comes to a manifold for turbocharging. Much better than what is expected out of a Kooks-style "Ramhorn" or any "Top-mount" system.

Regardless of which manifold design you have, for Honda B-series engines, Cylinder 3 always runs the leanest. That's why those of us that still use EGT meters, tap that particular runner; because #3 is the most sensitive to detonation.

As for the classic "Kiwi" manifold you're referencing to, there is a person who makes those in limited numbers in a quality way. That is Love-Fab. The "Mini-EQ" is actually the one I'm switching to now, after my years of good use with the JDL Auto Design manifold that myself and "Dark_Teg" uses. Not sure if they make it enmasse anymore, but its the design we're going for.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Regardless of which manifold design you have, for Honda B-series engines, Cylinder 3 always runs the leanest. That's why those of us that still use EGT meters, tap that particular runner; because #3 is the most sensitive to detonation.
Can you explain why?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ in for info on this as well :O
Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a classic case of "don't knock it until you try it, first." That very "Mini-ram" design is extremely efficient for its capabilities, and doesn't require something as exotic as a MOTEC to be able to work effectively and for long periods of time. From my experience with that manifold, as much as I don't like the fact that it sits that low, it does an amazing job of keeping the runners long enough, but the primaries not too large in order to support a wide variety of turbochargers, from GTX2860RS to GT3588Rs. It is truly one of the best of two worlds when it comes to a manifold for turbocharging. Much better than what is expected out of a Kooks-style "Ramhorn" or any "Top-mount" system.

Thats the exact reason i find the design i posted better and this BAD. If someone is a bad driver getting him drunk wont make things better right?
If it happens someone to measure the pressure on the to middle super short runner i bet the ll have much more difficult time evacuating the cylinder correctly or even mess with the other
pulses contaminating them. I cant even imagine the low pressure wave anywere with those runners.

This super short unequal length manifolds are not uncommon on the oem world but i dont thing any oem car will hit 500-600 to the wheels on 9500 rpm.
That manifold is so wrong for our engines really. Whould i use it? Yes on a GTX3576 after i measure the AFR on those unhappy cylinders and fix the map accordingly.
On a 7000 rpm 2.0 ABF VW yes i would use it without too much hassle too. But not on our engines.Unless i was on super conservative tune asking for like 350whp with b16 low
exhaust overlap cams.And i would use it if it was t3 or t4 divided pulses also, but not like this.

the lovefab mani looks cool.Altho again id have 1-2 inches straight exit before the first curves. But its MUCH better from the mini ramhorn
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Can you explain why?
I wish I could. It's been like that with every B-series engine I've ever dealt with. (could be firing order, could be something else). On 3S-GTE engines the leanest is #4. On 4G63's #2 has been the leanest. After a while, I stopped figuring that out and always put my EGT at the leanest cylinder.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:45 PM

Thats the exact reason i find the design i posted better and this BAD. If someone is a bad driver getting him drunk wont make things better right?
If it happens someone to measure the pressure on the to middle super short runner i bet the ll have much more difficult time evacuating the cylinder correctly or even mess with the other
pulses contaminating them. I cant even imagine the low pressure wave anywere with those runners.

This super short unequal length manifolds are not uncommon on the oem world but i dont thing any oem car will hit 500-600 to the wheels on 9500 rpm.
That manifold is so wrong for our engines really. Whould i use it? Yes on a GTX3576 after i measure the AFR on those unhappy cylinders and fix the map accordingly.
On a 7000 rpm 2.0 ABF VW yes i would use it without too much hassle too. But not on our engines.Unless i was on super conservative tune asking for like 350whp with b16 low
exhaust overlap cams.And i would use it if it was t3 or t4 divided pulses also, but not like this.

the lovefab mani looks cool.Altho again id have 1-2 inches straight exit before the first curves. But its MUCH better from the mini ramhorn

Again, this is on you. If you feel that way fine. It's the difference between experience and theory. On paper it may look "bad", as a practical matter, they work out great and have been doing so for quite a number of years (10+) on these engines. I like and have utilized the Mini-EQ on quite a few time attack and enduro runs without any hiccups or issues from exhaust backpressure, rotational speeds, etc. Not to take away anything that you've accomplished, Balor_GR, But the individual that was making the Mini-EQ is now strictly on NSX Pikes Peak Project cars and WTAC in Asia. I'll continue to take my design cues from him right now until otherwise for the time being.

Good ole' Rhett.

Life is good. We can agree to disagree.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No no mini eq looks very good. I was talking about the other mini-ram "super un-equal" style.I would trust my AFR on the mini EQ.(you probably missed the text under the image)
Id just add a straight 1-2 inch space between the head flange and the first curve on the mini-eq manifold.
Whats the sppol of the mini -eq vs full rammhorn?Closer to the ramhorn or closer to the "super un-equal" ?
Unless something is very wrong with it aero wise i believe mini-eq is the best mani design for 350 whp all the way to 800 whp.
I was crying so many years because the ebay mini eq was looking better from the other manifolds in my mind.
Now it makes sence it was a copy too
Old 11-14-2017, 03:07 PM

No no mini eq looks very good. I was talking about the other mini-ram "super un-equal" style.I would trust my AFR on the mini EQ.(you probably missed the text under the image)
Id just add a straight 1-2 inch space between the head flange and the first curve on the mini-eq manifold.
Whats the sppol of the mini -eq vs full rammhorn?Closer to the ramhorn or closer to the "super un-equal" ?
Unless something is very wrong with it aero wise i believe mini-eq is the best mani design for 350 whp all the way to 800 whp.
I was crying so many years because the ebay mini eq was looking better from the other manifolds in my mind.
Now it makes sence it was a copy too
I didn't miss anything. I'm saying you wouldn't want to change anything off of the Mini-EQ. NOTHING.. I've dealt with Cody (the owner) long enough to leave his designs alone. If there's no 1-2 inch space, it's not there for a reason. If you want to contact him and go through the meanders of the "why", please be my guest.

We can simply agree to disagree on the mini-ram style exhaust manifold and it's utility.. No further comment is necessary.

The original Kiwi that you mentioned that is so popular on eBay has been copied since 1996, when Tomei first used them on SR20DET builds in Japan. The materials just kept getting worse, and the construction even more horrid.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just wanted to add that Cody at lovefab will still make the mini me eq. He doesn't advertise this anymore because he focuses on the nsx these days, but i spoke to him recently and he had no problem doing it. I love my mini me eq, the quality is absolutely outstanding.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
I just wanted to add that Cody at lovefab will still make the mini me eq. He doesn't advertise this anymore because he focuses on the nsx these days, but i spoke to him recently and he had no problem doing it. I love my mini me eq, the quality is absolutely outstanding.
Excellent!!!