Notices

STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

Just testing out a new image hosting sight since photobucket is being so stupid lately. Imgur so far is a million times better. Wish I knew about them a long time ago. Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a better image hosting site...

Name:  XBoj8rt.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  2.40 MB
Name:  PkexkVv.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  269.1 KB

Edit: never mind I guess Imgur doesn't work right with ht after more searching.

Last edited by boosted94gsr; 07-24-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Just testing out a new image hosting sight since photobucket is being so stupid lately. Imgur so far is a million times better. Wish I knew about them a long time ago. Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a better image hosting site...

it didnt want to show up until i logged in. Logged in to say it didnt work.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ls joker
it didnt want to show up until i logged in. Logged in to say it didnt work.

Weird it showed up on my laptop but not on my phone. Idk I'll figure it out.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A local performance shop started selling E85 fuel 👍 I picked up 5 gallons today and started retuning the car for E85. I haven't messed with the timing at all yet, but the high cam fuel map needed a 39% increase in fuel to bring afrs back inline with what they were on 92 pump gas. I'm still spraying methanol just because I have it on the car, it will extend my fuel system and keep intake air temps nice and cool. It will be nice to not have to rely on methanol injection to make power safely. I have the aem fail safe setup, but I was always worried about something happening to the system and not spraying that would cause serious engine damage. The car should pick up some power just from switching to E85 alone because ethanol is oxygenated it has greater power potential then other non-oxygenated fuels. You are basically injecting more oxygen with your fuel so there is more power to be had based on that alone, plus I'll probably be able to increase ignition timing slightly as well.

The fuel they get is guaranteed to be at least 85% ethanol. I tested this batch and it came out to be right around 90% ethanol. You can see from the pic of the data log that my injectors are only around 70% injector duty cycle because the methanol injection is still being used. All in all this should make everything much safer at my current boost levels and compression ratio.
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2017, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

A local performance shop started selling E85 fuel 👍 I picked up 5 gallons today and started retuning the car for E85. I haven't messed with the timing at all yet, but the high cam fuel map needed a 39% increase in fuel to bring afrs back inline with what they were on 92 pump gas. I'm still spraying methanol just because I have it on the car, it will extend my fuel system and keep intake air temps nice and cool. It will be nice to not have to rely on methanol injection to make power safely. I have the aem fail safe setup, but I was always worried about something happening to the system and not spraying that would cause serious engine damage. The car should pick up some power just from switching to E85 alone because ethanol is oxygenated it has greater power potential then other non-oxygenated fuels. You are basically injecting more oxygen with your fuel so there is more power to be had based on that alone, plus I'll probably be able to increase ignition timing slightly as well.

The fuel they get is guaranteed to be at least 85% ethanol. I tested this batch and it came out to be right around 90% ethanol. You can see from the pic of the data log that my injectors are only around 70% injector duty cycle because the methanol injection is still being used. All in all this should make everything much safer at my current boost levels and compression ratio.
nice man. People have been tellin me to switch to e85 for years. Im just hesistant because of the cost of upgrading the fuel system. And with what ive heard of inconsistancies, even in warmer weather. But, however, we have a gas station here that did sell 110 octane. Id prolly do that before hand.

but im interested to see the process change and result. Are you changing the pump or lines.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice man. People have been tellin me to switch to e85 for years. Im just hesistant because of the cost of upgrading the fuel system. And with what ive heard of inconsistancies, even in warmer weather. But, however, we have a gas station here that did sell 110 octane. Id prolly do that before hand.

but im interested to see the process change and result. Are you changing the pump or lines.
as far as the inconsistencies go, a lot of guys run the GM flex fuel sensor and from my understanding it will allow you to adjust timing/ make corrections in real time depending on the ethanol content of the fuel, so a weak batch shouldn't be a huge huge deal.

94boosted, are you concerned about the corrosive effects of the fuel? There's E85 all over Indy and I've thought about running it, but there's no drain bolt on the prelude gas tank and i would hate to be in a spot where you had to run your tank empty so you could store it. Are you just on a single walbro 255?
Old 07-25-2017, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thx for the timing map! I'm always curious to see what other ppl engines like.

That's aweaome about the e85. You shouldn't need the meth injection with e85, but if you want extra cooling you could use it as a Water injection kit. You'll probably find out you don't need to spray anything though.

Closest e85 place for me is 35mins away. I've thought about just driving out and filling cans but I'm not there yet. Want to keep my car practical. The moment I get a station in town though, it's on!
Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love e85
Old 07-25-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I find that results vary depending upon the source of the Methanol that you get. Before you start thinking it's God's gift to hyper-knock resistant fuel, check your methanol concentration. It's one of the reasons why I don't want to use Ethanol. I can keep away from gas stations on a regular basis without that stuff. I'm not necessarily hating on E85 (I don't judge people who use it.. far from it). At the same time, I've seen better fuels do a better job without all the need of the extra sensors and other jazz for those few days you turn up the boost pressure and want to resist knock more consistently.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as in which fuels as examples ?

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-25-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a local gas station that sells 110 as well, but it leaded so if you run it for any length of time it will kill your O2 sensors. I'm probably going to keep the fuel system as is for the rest of the summer and upgrade over winter time.

The shop I get the E85 from has an option to buy a whole barrel and they store it there in a temperature controlled environment in a sealed barrel for you. I'm probably going with the barrel option so at least I'll have the same batch for 55 gallons at a time. The fuel they get is guaranteed to be at least 85% ethanol though, so that's good.

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
as far as the inconsistencies go, a lot of guys run the GM flex fuel sensor and from my understanding it will allow you to adjust timing/ make corrections in real time depending on the ethanol content of the fuel, so a weak batch shouldn't be a huge huge deal.

94boosted, are you concerned about the corrosive effects of the fuel? There's E85 all over Indy and I've thought about running it, but there's no drain bolt on the prelude gas tank and i would hate to be in a spot where you had to run your tank empty so you could store it. Are you just on a single walbro 255?
I'm on Neptune rtp so I don't think the flex fuel setup is an option, but I also don't think it will be needed on my setup. Nah I'm not too concerned about it being corrosive, I'll just be sure to drain and prep the fuel system over winter when I'm not driving it. It will probably be pulled apart anyways for upgrades lol. Yep I'm just on a single walbro 255 with ID1000cc injectors. I think the walbro 255 is actually compatible with E85, I could be wrong though. It looks like I have plenty of head room in the fuel system as is at this power level with the added meth injection, so I should be good to go for the remainder of the summer.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by backroadCR-V
Thx for the timing map! I'm always curious to see what other ppl engines like.

That's aweaome about the e85. You shouldn't need the meth injection with e85, but if you want extra cooling you could use it as a Water injection kit. You'll probably find out you don't need to spray anything though.

Closest e85 place for me is 35mins away. I've thought about just driving out and filling cans but I'm not there yet. Want to keep my car practical. The moment I get a station in town though, it's on!
No problem man I'm alway happy to help and share information. Yeah I completely understand that methanol injection is not needed with E85, but I already have it setup so I'm just gonna run it. Plus it will keep my injector duty cycles happy.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I find that results vary depending upon the source of the Methanol that you get. Before you start thinking it's God's gift to hyper-knock resistant fuel, check your methanol concentration. It's one of the reasons why I don't want to use Ethanol. I can keep away from gas stations on a regular basis without that stuff. I'm not necessarily hating on E85 (I don't judge people who use it.. far from it). At the same time, I've seen better fuels do a better job without all the need of the extra sensors and other jazz for those few days you turn up the boost pressure and want to resist knock more consistently.

I hear you it's just that I don't like relying on methanol injection, all it takes is one run of it not spraying and my engine is done for. Remember how many times calidad blew his engine from methanol complications.

I did end up buying pure methanol and mixing it myself with distilled water, definitely cheaper then using that over priced boost juice lol. Although I haven't tried anything other then a 50/50 mix yet. I've been wanting to try E85 for years and now that it actually available to me I'm excited to test it out.
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmrico
as which fuel ?
I would personally order a 55 gallon drum of e98 if your local shops don't carry. I switched from e85 to e98 and love it, if my tuner didn't carry barrels of it I would order my own LOL.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I hear you it's just that I don't like relying on methanol injection, all it takes is one run of it not spraying and my engine is done for. Remember how many times calidad blew his engine from methanol complications.

I did end up buying pure methanol and mixing it myself with distilled water, definitely cheaper then using that over priced boost juice lol. Although I haven't tried anything other then a 50/50 mix yet. I've been wanting to try E85 for years and now that it actually available to me I'm excited to test it out.
E85 is a great option, the advice I got when using E85 was try and buy it from the same station to try and keep it as consistent as possible. Since it seems you only have the one option you should be good. I've also never used any of the fancy sensors when I ran e85 I just ran the car daily on e85, got it from the same station each time and never had a problem.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ssmrico
as in which fuels as examples ?
As in VP petroleum-based fuels , fuels with higher concentrations of methanol or ethyl-alcohol, or even propane injection. Fuels that have higher BTUs of energy over (E85-E99) "pump gas" ethanol.

You have tip be willing to see others use other fuels operate based upon their ability to burn efficiently with high BTUs, and not just jump on the bandwagons of " 'cuz higher octane". Obviously octane is a major factor, but not the only factor in deciding what fuel is better for the need.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:48 AM

He blew it because

1) bisi didn't first make a 91 octane map before going into the progressive staging of how much methanol was being introduced power psi of boost pressure

2) calidad didn't hook his fail safe up properly; he pinched an electrical wire that was supposed to send the fail safe signal to the ECU and didn't realize it until he was actually in boost at 28psi on the street. You're supposed to test that first before going to the dyno..

So, no.. I have complete confidence in these systems..That was user error, and even he had admitted to it. I just wanted to get that straight.

We'll see you more at the gas station filling up the tank more than driving, that's for certain. I remember several of us in a convoy going to a ciruit track / show about 4 hours away. I was soooo sick of pulling over every 130 miles to fill up.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your methanol is injected pre- throttle body, not injected directly into each cylinder, correct?

How do you verify equal distribution of meth between all 4 cylinders with it coming in pre - throttle body? Seems like cylinder 1 and 4 wouldn't have the same concentration.... or am i thinking of this incorrectly?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your methanol is injected pre- throttle body, not injected directly into each cylinder, correct?

How do you verify equal distribution of meth between all 4 cylinders with it coming in pre - throttle body? Seems like cylinder 1 and 4 wouldn't have the same concentration.... or am i thinking of this incorrectly?
Yes it is sprayed pre throttle body and you are absolutely correct they do not get even methanol distribution and it shows on the plugs. #1 gets the most and #4 gets the least, I have to add about 3% fuel to #4, and 2% fuel to #3 in the individual cyclinder fuel trims to even it out a little. After reading a fresh set of plugs shut down at redline the blue timing mark is much more aggressive on 3&4, and 1&2 could easily handle a couple more degrees of timing.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

We'll see you more at the gas station filling up the tank more than driving, that's for certain. I remember several of us in a convoy going to a ciruit track / show about 4 hours away. I was soooo sick of pulling over every 130 miles to fill up.
Flex fuel fixes that problem.

Sounds like the meth really needs to be injected on each runner on the intake no? doesn't sound like it would be too hard to drill and tap each runner with its own injector if you were so inclined.

But honestly, with E85 you really dont need to mess with meth =P
Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it is sprayed pre throttle body and you are absolutely correct they do not get even methanol distribution and it shows on the plugs. #1 gets the most and #4 gets the least, I have to add about 3% fuel to #4, and 2% fuel to #3 in the individual cyclinder fuel trims to even it out a little. After reading a fresh set of plugs shut down at redline the blue timing mark is much more aggressive on 3&4, and 1&2 could easily handle a couple more degrees of timing.
Thanks for that explanation. Are cylinders 3 and 4 more/less prone to detonation than 1 and 2 since theyre cooled with fuel as opposed to methanol? Do the plugs tell you all you need to know?
Old 07-25-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg

Sounds like the meth really needs to be injected on each runner on the intake no? doesn't sound like it would be too hard to drill and tap each runner with its own injector if you were so inclined.

It wasn't me needing to pull over.. It was all the "flex fuel" guys having to refill their tanks that often.. It was annoying.

I'll sick to my 93/meth - VP fuel. For the new build I won't have to switch injectors, change too big fuel lines or worry about "E85 safe" equipment.

Ok, I admit, now I'm starting to throw shade.. Sorry, guys. I'm weak-minded and old-school.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg

Yeah injecting meth in each individual runner was the direction I was headed before the E85 became available. I might ditch the methanol injection completely later on when upgrade the rest of the fuel system, but for now its gonna stay.

Thanks for that explanation. Are cylinders 3 and 4 more/less prone to detonation than 1 and 2 since theyre cooled with fuel as opposed to methanol? Do the plugs tell you all you need to know?
Yes 3 and 4 are more prone to detonation because even with the same afr methanol is a much higher octane. Adding fuel to those cylinders only helped slightly, I could run more ignition timing if all cylinders got even distribution and make more power. Another problem with having to use the individual cylinder fuel trim is that it is applied all the time, not just when methanol is spraying. So when idling or just cruising around those cylinders are running slightly richer for no reason. Reading the plugs really does tell you everything you need to know. There is a really good sticky thread in the engine management and tuning forum about reading plugs. I have some informative posts in that thread.

It wasn't me needing to pull over.. It was all the "flex fuel" guys having to refill their tanks that often.. It was annoying.

I'll sick to my 93/meth - VP fuel. For the new build I won't have to switch injectors, change too big fuel lines or worry about "E85 safe" equipment.

Ok, I admit, now I'm starting to throw shade.. Sorry, guys. I'm weak-minded and old-school.
Lol its all good man. We are free to do as we please with our own cars because MERICA !! haha
Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I decided to go ahead an buy a barrel and bring it home rather then running back and forth to the shop filling jugs at least for the rest summer when I drive the car more. I think I'll have the shop store it for me over winter when I don't really need it. These thing a heavy lol. I used my engine hoist with a chain wrapped around the barrel to lift it then pulled the truck away and lowered it on a pallet. I had an old walbro 255 fuel pump laying around that I rigged together with a rc lipo battery and switch to pump fuel out of the barrel in my 5 gallon jug or I could even pump it straight into the car. This was a fresh never opened barrel and it tested at about 92-93% ethanol.
Attached Images     
Old 07-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

badass. wish i had ethanol near me
quick question for ya man, im installing arp head studs on my b18b as i type this and im threading the studs into the block and im wondering how much torque you apply to the studs in your engines. some guys say just hand tight but that doesnt seem right to me. i have them at about 5-10lb/ft right now.

Quick Reply: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build