Notices

STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build

I always thought the lower lines on the can in a setup like this would be drain back. Is that the goal?
Old 01-18-2017, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it
Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I always thought the lower lines on the can in a setup like this would be drain back. Is that the goal?
Drain back is not my intention with this one. The 2 bottom ports are connected to the top of the black box with two 5/8" barb fittings, the black box is internally baffled too. I'll be sure to empty it well before it's full enough to drain that nasty stuff back to the crank case. I've driven it quite a bit since install and beat the **** out of it and there isn't one drop of oil in the can yet. I think my valve cover baffle is doing its job.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Updates.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how is that Honda habit oil pan gasket holding up ? I need one
Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ssmrico
how is that Honda habit oil pan gasket holding up ? I need one
I really like it. It never leaked a drop or even seeped any oil. My oil pan was always bone dry. Worth the money imo, plus its reusable.

Originally Posted by Aradin
Updates.
Glad you asked because I'm kinda of in the middle of a mild engine build at the moment lol. This JDM b18c has smoked pretty good since day one, especially on decel, and consumed more oil then I am comfortable with. Every time I pulled the plugs I could see a small amount of oil siting on top of the pistons. My plan is to rebuild it and increase the compression about 1 point and add methanol injection. Basically I'm after a super responsive fun to drive street car with almost instant power, that isn't over build for the power it makes. Low to mid 400whp is good enough for me. Upgraded parts list below...

-AEM progressive water methanol injection kit
-Nippon P30 pistons 81.5mm (machined for floating pins for aftermarket rods)
-Manley gsr rods
-acl race bearings
-supertech bronze valve guides
-supertech H1002D dual valve 70lb springs with oem retainers (because street car)

I went as far pulling the cams and replacing the valve seals with the head still on the block. Whats weird is it has felpro valve seals on it not oem ones like I was expecting to see, its like whoever has it in japan tried to fix the oil burning issue too. The valve to guide clearance ended up being terrible so new seals did nothing to help. It was at that point I decided to tear it apart.

Empty bay

Everything pulled apart ready to head to the machine shop.

Water meth kit installed

Progressive methanol controller

Green led under the wb lights up when meth starts spraying and progressively get brighter until it hits full spray

Parts

Compression ratio is going to end up at about 11.64:1 witch is right at 1 point higher then it was stock. With the addition of water meth and some cautious tuning I'm hoping to have a fun responsive grocery getter...

Right now I'm just waiting to get my head and block back from the machine shop. After researching for hours on what ptw clearance to go with for these cast pistons I settled on .002-.0025. Hopefully I'll have everything back before the end of next week.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn! Can't wait to see this done! I love the outside the box approach. You still on GSR cams?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gutted-dx
Damn! Can't wait to see this done! I love the outside the box approach. You still on GSR cams?
Thanks man. Yeah sticking with gsr cams for now. ITR or tuner 1 cams might be a possibility in the future. I don't need anything too aggressive for my current goals.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Can't wait to see the results of this! It should be pretty fun!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill have an itr cam for sale once I put my tuners 2 in
Old 03-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Very curious to see how the turbo works out with that CR. I'm planning on sticking to 11:1 for my build (which has similar goals/intentions as yours for power).
Old 03-10-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Very nice indeed. However, I would have just gone ahead with a good forged piston set for these conditions. But since you've already got them, use them.

I'd also change my methanol mixture up a bit with that compression. The red "boost juice" never did do that well compared to some good ole' homemade liquid recipes I came up with.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

^
because of that guy, and ur write up, i went with the "Hunter" on my build.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Can't wait to see the results of this! It should be pretty fun!
Thanks man. A fun car is my main goal here.

Originally Posted by ssmrico
ill have an itr cam for sale once I put my tuners 2 in
At this compression ratio I don't want to increase the efficiency of the intake cam without doing the same for the exhaust. Gotta let that exhaust flow lol. If I was gonna do cams it would have to be both at the same time. I appreciate the offer though.

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Very curious to see how the turbo works out with that CR. I'm planning on sticking to 11:1 for my build (which has similar goals/intentions as yours for power).
Well I'm curious too lol. I'll try to provide as much info as possible as this build progresses.

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Very nice indeed. However, I would have just gone ahead with a good forged piston set for these conditions. But since you've already got them, use them.

I'd also change my methanol mixture up a bit with that compression. The red "boost juice" never did do that well compared to some good ole' homemade liquid recipes I came up with.
Yeah forged would have probably been better or at least stronger, but I had to talk myself into even building it this far. It would still be stock internals if it didn't have that oil burning issue, because I was happy with it the way it was. I was close to just doing a oem rebuild, but compromised with a mild cast piston build. Supposedly these Nippon pistons are pretty strong. I had a set in my last build that held up great to a lot of abuse. I also read a ton of positive reviews about them and remember wantboost going on and on about how strong nippon pistons are and how they do a 6 step heat treating process and on and on lol. If I ever end up with a sleeved block in the future it will most definitely have forged pistons.

As for the boost juice I only have 4 gallons of it so when that runs out I'm definitely interested in trying other options. I remember reading one of your posts a while back about using heet in your homemade mix. Definitely interested in more info on that.

Originally Posted by goinfast
^
because of that guy, and ur write up, i went with the "Hunter" on my build.
Thats awesome man. Glad to hear we are motivating people to get out there and start there own builds. Good luck with it man.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Looking good man. I have the same AEM kit that I've been running for a few years now. You're gonna love water/meth. I know I'll never own another turbo car without it lol. I recommend buying the methanol separate and mixing it yourself. It's way cheaper and you can get the mixture how you want it. A 5 gallon pale of methanol lasts me about a year mixed 50/50 with distilled water and only costs $35 at the local race shop. So for around $40 I get ~10 gallons of mixture as opposed to 4 gallons of the boost juice for roughly the same price.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good man. I have the same AEM kit that I've been running for a few years now. You're gonna love water/meth. I know I'll never own another turbo car without it lol. I recommend buying the methanol separate and mixing it yourself. It's way cheaper and you can get the mixture how you want it. A 5 gallon pale of methanol lasts me about a year mixed 50/50 with distilled water and only costs $35 at the local race shop. So for around $40 I get ~10 gallons of mixture as opposed to 4 gallons of the boost juice for roughly the same price.
Solid advice thanks man. I will definitely look into buy it locally. Yeah I had the same aem kit on my last ls **** box hatch build and I loved it. What size nozzle are you running on yours? I am planning on starting with the 500cc nozzle. I'm also going to wire the fail safe to the ecu to trigger the secondary fuel and timing maps with timing pulled and fuel added as well as cut boost to wg pressure if the system detects an error.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

I've got the boost safe feature setup the same way. Switches back over to pure pump gas maps if the controller detects an issue. I'm using the 500cc nozzle on my stock 11:1 F20B setup around 320whp. Works really well. The amount of timing I can run is absurd for that kind of compression lol.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

I'm sure with the meth injection that CR will be fine. You'll probably have to pull a fair bit of boost/timing without it. I'm sure that meth kit has a failsafe on it.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got the boost safe feature setup the same way. Switches back over to pure pump gas maps if the controller detects an issue. I'm using the 500cc nozzle on my stock 11:1 F20B setup around 320whp. Works really well. The amount of timing I can run is absurd for that kind of compression lol.
Well that's good news. Did you street or dyno tune your car? I'm curious what you use for knock detection? I wish there was a dyno local to me, the closest one is about 3 hours away.

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I'm sure with the meth injection that CR will be fine. You'll probably have to pull a fair bit of boost/timing without it. I'm sure that meth kit has a failsafe on it.
Yeah it definitely has a fail safe and I'm definitely going to use it lol. My secondary maps will be set up for straight pump gas at wg pressure if it's triggered.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Street. Nearest dyno is about 3 1/2 hours from me as well. I use my ears and my eyeballs lol. Been doing it for years. I tune a lot of local setups. Water/methanol can make it a little difficult to get a good read on the plugs though.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Street. Nearest dyno is about 3 1/2 hours from me as well. I use my ears and my eyeballs lol. Been doing it for years. I tune a lot of local setups. Water/methanol can make it a little difficult to get a good read on the plugs though.
Yep that's what I do too. I'm going to look into making some electronic knock ears with a Bosch knock sensor or possibly even getting knock sense setup. I would definitely like an improvement over my home made det can.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I got everything back from the machine shop, it all looks good except for these scratches on the deck of the block! I wish I would have noticed before I left the shop. Man idk why I have such bad luck with depending on shops to do something right for me. I'm gonna take the block back tmrw first thing and hopefully they can deck it (as minimally as possible) and have it back to me before the end of the day. I really wanted to start putting this thing together this weekend ugh...
Attached Images    
Old 03-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

still getting used to the website. Anyway, i wanted to show you this if your considering something other than boost juice
hope it helps!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Interesting video. I use the Liquid HEET method, myself. Mainly because I don't use 50% Methanol. I keep it at about 80%. I may check out my local chemical supply companies for a 20 Gal drum. You don't have to get 55 gallons.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually already watched that video a while back, but thanks for sharing anyways.

Here is another interesting video on methanol injection. I'm definitely going to look into buying my methanol locally and mixing it myself.

I dropped my block off at the machine and they said they are going to deck it free of charge and I'll have it back today.

Quick Reply: STC dbb hunter turbo + db8 gsr = grocery gettin street car build