Notices

Starting to build a homemade supercharger.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to build a homemade supercharger.

I'm in the early stages of making a homemade centrifugal supercharger.

I'm using a Turbocharger Compressor Housing and Compressor wheel from a T3. Now if i believe right i hook the compressor wheel to a pulley and have a it power by another small pulley thats using a pulley from the sephertine belt i should basically have a supercharger. Only problem i should run into is making the backplate. If i can make it with no problems i just might start selling them. Looking at budget in making this is only $600. Now if i make a housing in cad and have a machine shop mass produce i could sell around $750 per blower but im getting ahead of myself. Right now i need to get it down on paper and i know its going to be a big pain in the $#% to make one.

I already i have the compressor housing a wheel. Now i need to focus on the back plate. Anyone has help or suggestions just shoot me an IM. I really want to get into this field just companies that make centrifugal superchargers prices are really up there compared to turbochargers that do the same thing basically with just the exhaust powering it not the belt.

Thx,
Ryan
Old 04-03-2004, 06:54 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Uhm, the wheel in a turbo spins at close to 50,000 RPM's at full spool [hell maybe more]...the way you're talking about doing it by driving it off the engine you'll never get the wheel spinning that fast...unless you use some crazy huge *** advantage pulley system. I think centrifugal superchargers [like the vortech] are a little more complicated than just a turbo compressor with a pulley slapped on the back.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

I forget the website, but I know with the right size pulley's you can do it. I've seen a centrifugal supercharger that made enough rpm's with only two sets of step up pullies.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uhm, the wheel in a turbo spins at close to 50,000 RPM's at full spool [hell maybe more]...the way you're talking about doing it by driving it off the engine you'll never get the wheel spinning that fast...unless you use some crazy huge *** advantage pulley system. I think centrifugal superchargers [like the vortech] are a little more complicated than just a turbo compressor with a pulley slapped on the back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, i reliezed that. Im thinking of using a bigger wheel from a procharger or vortech blower. The turbo compressor looks like a V9 from the size of it.

That or i was thinking of a hybrid. Where a Turbine from the exhaust powers the pulley and a Compressor would be use the exhaust pulley that way you can get a turbo like boost but away from the heat.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:06 AM

Default Re: (Mr.Sleepy)

http://gatorsuperchargers.com/

Seems i can do it.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:35 AM

it needs to be geared, then attached to a pulley.. u hook the shaft of the turbine fan itself to a hear, the have an axle attached to a larger gear then the one on the turbine shaft and it will allow it spin faster then the motor when its hooked up to a pulley.. it needs to be a crazy gear ratio tho..
Old 04-03-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Re: (J337_UNIT)

Yea, i already have down already. Right now i need to find a ATI or Vortech Turbine wheel instead of the T3 compressor wheel.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, because creativity is a gooood thing, but why try to make a homemade reinvented wheel? If you get 50% of the gains achieved by a vortech or procharger kit, then I would consider your project a success. At the same time (and at a much greater cost than your project) neither of those kits can match the efficiency or effectiveness of a turbocharger, and you can pick up a new Precision turbo for as much if not significantly less than the price of this compressor retrofit kit you are working on. My 2 pennies.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Re: (hpfsi)

Im just going for something unique. You see so many people customize there cars this is my way of doing it. Its about respect having someone know you spent hours on hours just to build something of your car that shows alot of dedication.

Im hoping to get some pic's of the housing i pic'ed and see what compressor wheel i'll pick up.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Re: (jz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have fun. turbos spin upwards of 120,000 rpms. time to bust out the calculator.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends oh the wheel im using in the compressor.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are NEVER going to accomplish this. Lets put it this way, running an S-trim on my old mustang I was having trouble running a 2.95/7 blower/crank pulley combo, due to belt slippage. That's only a 2.37:1 ratio, so at my redline of 6000 rpm's, the impeller would only be spinning at 14000 RPM's, hardly enough to make any useable power. The only reason it made power was because it had a 3.6:1 internal step up ratio, bringing the impeller speed up to about 51000 RPM's. Don't even waste your time trying to do this, a centrifugal blower on a small inch honda is an inferior power adder anyways.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are NEVER going to accomplish this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Got it working right now at 2psi.

Im going to start working in the new wheel i picked up.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:09 PM

pics!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

yes, i also would like to see some pics.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:11 AM

Default Re: (jz)

2 psi at 6000rpm's. Thing was i did it on a Gti w/ a Vr6 i didnt get a chance to work it on a honda motor yet. I'll try to get some picks up soon. Right now its back in pieces as im working in a new wheel in and new pulleys to move the wheel a bit faster.

I should post a update in a month or 2 when i pick up my 2" 6rib pulley trying to make it spool better. Also i have to make up a good system on getting the small pully from slipping.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did almost the same setup as you. but on my Maxima. I ran it for a while. was getting about 4 psi at 5500. But now I have that unit on my shelf now. It's one of kind. Since I sold my Max. It was fun to drive but it was too much of a headache trying to cool the ball bearing from seizing up. As you apply tension to the belt there is alot of stress on the front bearing which produce alot of heat. Thats why, alot of guys with the Votech S/C have their belts rip apart. Take a look... http://www.cardomain.com/id/leeit2me
Old 04-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are NEVER going to accomplish this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NEVER huh? Thats a strong word, and man... I just love close minded people...

Old 04-13-2004, 09:34 AM

Default Re: (.nate)

you should consider using a much larger compressor, because a T-3 requires much more RPMS to create the same amount of boost a larger wheel could.

I think most vortech etc. dont spin their compressors more than 50-60k RPMS, wheras a T3 wheel will need to spin considerably faster to make the same appreciable boost (in the 100k+ range)

Just a thought.

Brad
Old 04-13-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: (lazerus)

pic of the gti.....................
Old 04-13-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Re: (leeit2me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leeit2me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did almost the same setup as you. but on my Maxima. I ran it for a while. was getting about 4 psi at 5500. But now I have that unit on my shelf now. It's one of kind. Since I sold my Max. It was fun to drive but it was too much of a headache trying to cool the ball bearing from seizing up. As you apply tension to the belt there is alot of stress on the front bearing which produce alot of heat. Thats why, alot of guys with the Votech S/C have their belts rip apart. Take a look... http://www.cardomain.com/id/leeit2me</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, Right now. Im moving to internal pulleys to 2" to 1" 8 or 10rib would be the best bet depends what i can find w/o going out of the way to fab it. I just picked up a 60 Trim housing form the smaller trim i was using. Using the Seph. belt pulley straight to the wheel doesnt work that great so now im going to apply great by using 2 smaller internal pulleys to speed it up even more.

My S/C kinda looks like the one in the link up there. When im done with something that does 6psi stable i'll release some pics. Also i have to work on keeping this thing cool. After 30minutes i had to shut the car off due to heat.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:40 AM

Here are my thoughts. You have a few things to consider:

First of all, use the biggest compresor you can. In a turbo application, you are limited due to sizing and weight. However, with a supercharger that's not as much of an issue anymore, so you're better off using a big compressor for several reasons. First of all, bigger wheels are inherently more efficient than smaller wheels. Second of all, a bigger wheel needs a much smaller rotational speed to generate the same boost, which is a HUGE plus.

Second of all, you need to work out the gearing problem. I have a lot of doubt that you will be able to do all the gearing with the two pulleys; as somebody mentioned, you will get to the physical limitations of the belt long before you get enough speed going. Instead, you are going to have to build a secondary gearbox of some sort.

You're also going to need a BIG solid bearing somewhere near the pulley. When you load it up with a belt, there is going to be a lot of load on the shaft, and unless you take care of that you're going to run into more issues there.

I personally wouldn't waste your time. In the end, if you do a GREAT job, you are stuck with the equivilant of a standard centrifugal supercharger. That's not a good thing. Then, you still have to deal with a crappy boost curve, a crappy powerband, and crappy power under the curve.

If I were you, I would concentrate on making the standard method of supercharging more efficient.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (.nate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .nate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NEVER huh? Thats a strong word, and man... I just love close minded people...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Close minded? Try realistic, you wad. There are way too many things wrong with that setup to list all the flaws, so I'm not even get started. When you first posted about this I was somewhat intrigued, I thought you would atleast have the common sense to use cogs instead of a serpentine drive system, and maybe make a real mounting bracket/idler setup, but I guess that was wishful thinking. Please, post some more pictures of the bracket and pulley setup, it's hard to make much out from your picture.

Just thought i'd post this thing too. Real Bracket Setup. Do you think it's a coincidence that most blower setups that are made to actually handle power use a beefy bracket (this one is 1/2 inch billet aluminum) a high internal step-up ratio, and tons of tension on the belt to prevent slip with a serpentine system? LS1 guys are having big issues with belt slip due to bracket flex and a small pulley/belt contact patch, and they're running prochargers with a 4.1:1 internal setup up ratio, and a fairly thick mounting bracket.

Don't take this the wrong way and look at it as a flame, I'm not flaming you. It took some creativity to come up with this setup, but it's something that just doesn't work and is outclassed by turbo and even regular centrifugal blower setups. It would be like somebody putting a FWD honda motor in a vette, it takes a lot of engineering and creativity, but it just isn't worth anything in the end.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:10 PM

it would be great to use gears. get a really small gear for the compressor side, and a large gear for the motor side. goto a machine shop with a crank pulley and see if they can lathe off the end grove, and put your big gear on in its place balance etc. use a good chain, and itd be cool to make a thick bracket and mount that to your existing P/S bracket.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are NEVER going to accomplish this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the words of a man going nowhere in life....
Old 04-13-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: (00SilverLS)

check into ANSI single strand chains and like a 5:1 ratio gearset. probably run you about 50$ or so for the 3 items

Quick Reply: Starting to build a homemade supercharger.