Notices

Stand alone turbo oil system??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stand alone turbo oil system??

Just wondering if anyone has any links or how toos, tips etc on how this is done. I really don’t like the engine oil feed/drain back to pan system. I just bought a surflow pump I already have an oil cooler but then I got to thinking about it. The turbo temps are insanely hot. I am going to need a fair amount of volume for the oil and the oil cooler may need to be pretty big. Wanted opinions on line sizes, lengths, etc.. Any thoughts?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stand alone turbo oil system?? (b4tn)

The oil will get hot but nothing a simple oil cooler couldn't handle.

For suggestions on the system, we would have to know the specs on that pump you got. If it runs at low pressure you should be fine using -4AN and no restrictor. If at high pressure smaller lines and restrictors are going to be needed. (I suggest stainless braided lines for brake systems.... They are teflon-lined and have a really small hose cross-section)

Of course, the pump should be located lower in altitude than the turbo... Even if it produces "vacuum" on the inlet.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Stand alone turbo oil system?? (beepy)

You don't like the idea of hot oil coming from the motor, so you're going to add another system and part to potentially go wrong in your system? The oil pump in your motor can't go bad without you knowing it. I don't think you're going to add a second oil pressure gauge just for the turbo. Seriously, why mess with a good thing. If it's good enough for hundreds of thousands of miles OEM and millions of miles for diesels, it's good enough for you.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Stand alone turbo oil system?? (turboEGsedan)

Ever thought about getting a water cooled turbo?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:31 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Stand alone turbo oil system?? (NidStyles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NidStyles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ever thought about getting a water cooled turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, still got have some sort of lube silly

Old 12-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stand alone turbo oil system?? (stackz)

the PTE Turbo system for a Focus mounts the turbo lower than the oil pan so they had to use a pump to pump it, they bypassed the pan and tapped the back of the block. It also had a little accumulator bolted on to the bottom of the turbo to collect large amounts of oil as the pumped pumped it though.

I was thinking of doing this as well but before going into the pan, pass the oil through an oil cooler (Vatozone brand) then into the pan.

It was in an article in some mag. I have it at home bookmarked cause I liked how they did the pump for the return.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:49 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Stand alone turbo oil system?? (NidStyles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NidStyles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ever thought about getting a water cooled turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ever SEE a watercooled turbo? There's more inlets and outlets than just water buddy.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oil evacuator/scavenger pumps are outrageously expensive in the 400+ range, i would do it but that is stopping me from it
Old 12-30-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

Well, you could always spend a little more and go dry sump.....
Old 12-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beepy)

We were looking into doing a similar setup on our FSAE car, due to space constrants, mounting the turbo in a oil line friendly place is very difficult and raises our center of gravity, complicates and restricts the exhaust, makes intake design harder etc. Unfortunatly we were unable to locate a pump that was relativly cheap and didn't weigh as much as a tug boat.