Notices

SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics

reusable? skirting is fine, just minor pitting on piston top.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (Typesi2nv)

Sure, why not ? Exhaust tone may sound funny
Old 10-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (CRV Monster)

had a friend melt up some srps in a boostd hatch! ill NEVER ever use srp...same setup with cp and hes runnin oh so strong!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (CRV Monster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRV Monster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sure, why not ? Exhaust tone may sound funny</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean. Any negative effects other then exhaust note? I dont want to damage the block or head.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (eh294)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eh294 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">had a friend melt up some srps in a boostd hatch! ill NEVER ever use srp...same setup with cp and hes runnin oh so strong!</TD></TR></TABLE>

its easy to melt any piston with boost, deff. with no tuning.

Old 10-11-2003, 10:37 PM

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (Typesi2nv)

im curious as to why all the pistons have pretty significant damage on the tops, did the motor ingest something on all four cylinders? If it were me, i would definatley not re-use that piston for any type of performance motor.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (lazerus)

I'd truly only be sketch about that one that's real banged up, but I don't know enough to tell you if that one is useable. I would DEFINATLEY not throw out the other three... nobody sees the inside of the motor. I just think that the other one MAY be too significantly damaged and may affect compression causing tuning problems-- but who knows... it might not?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im curious as to why all the pistons have pretty significant damage on the tops, did the motor ingest something on all four cylinders? If it were me, i would definatley not re-use that piston for any type of performance motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dropped valve.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would throw that one away... that thing is worthless.

The other 3 are fine. Just make sure they don't have any raised parts to them. If they do, grind them flat with the rest of the area. The reason you'd want to do this is because the raised parts are great areas for heat to dissipate to. After a while they could get red hot and once some fuel gets in there, BAM ... pre-ignition

So i'd throw out that one really messed up one and keep the others.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (tegasaurus)

you'll lose some compression...toss them...
Old 10-12-2003, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (MiraiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you'll lose some compression...toss them... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to mention that smashing the crap out of a forged piston more than likely would have some adverse affect to the material it self. After all, they were smashed (forged) into the shape that they are (were) in. I think that you had best toss em, or make paper weights out of them

Rob
Old 10-12-2003, 03:42 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (rjardy)

You hit the valves in every cylinder?
Old 10-12-2003, 05:32 AM

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (Arturbo)

You need to check your clearence's!!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 06:12 AM

how many vlaves did you drop,lol.everyone of them are beat up and in all different places,where they put in with a sledge hammer or something?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (civictypenos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictypenos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where they put in with a sledge hammer or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol naw.

actualy I wont be using them (thanks to all the responce I got), I'mma get some fresh pistons.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WHY ARE THEY ALL MARKED!???????????????????????
Old 10-12-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (SiRkid)

everyone keeps asking if he dropped valves in all 4 cylinders!?!!?thank of it this way....

lets say an intake valve drops, its gonna bonce around like a ping pong ball in the cylinder while the motor still revs. its more than likely gonna break apart in the cylinder. then the pistons gonna force the debris thru any opening in the CC, whether its the intake or exhaust ports. so some of it went back in the intake manifold then into the other cylinders, bounced around a little then went out the exhuast. also if the car was turboed id check the turbine wheel.

also, 3 of those pistons look fine. just make sure theres no sharp edges. either way i dont like SRP's(shitty racing piston), id buy 4 new ones (endyn, wiseco, CP)

just wanted to clear that up
Old 10-12-2003, 10:19 AM

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (99B16Si)

there is no way that one dropped valve caused damage to all four pistons, it looks like something else was wrong, that caused the dropped valve, to me.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is no way that one dropped valve caused damage to all four pistons, it looks like something else was wrong, that caused the dropped valve, to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree,theres no way a dropped valve could work its wayup and out and then back into another cylinder.....maybe throught the intake but i dont think thats very possable either.i know it cant happen in the exhaust side.

clue us in man,what are all the dings in the other 3 pistons from?just one valve?
Old 10-12-2003, 11:43 AM

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (99B16Si)

Yeah there is no way in hell that ONE dropped valve fought the flow of the motor and made its way back to the plenum and then into the other THREE cylinders
Old 10-12-2003, 12:11 PM

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (T-sohctec)

bingo!

they were listed on ebay,heres the listing,guessing the maker of this thread has no knowledge on them personally.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymo...77269
Old 10-12-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics (civictypenos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictypenos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bingo!

they were listed on ebay,heres the listing,guessing the maker of this thread has no knowledge on them personally.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymo...77269 </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. just asking questions about them. I was fearing to get flaimed about asking about them so I kept the origin of the pistons unknown. but i have been talkin to the original owner of them. He is just claiming to lay a bead of tig weld and then refinish the surface at a machine shop. He never answerd my question about the other 3 pistons. But i'll re email him.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have some piston parts of my last motor though from a boost project gone bad but these I was just asking if they could be saved. Price is low on them. That is why i kept the origin unknown incase they were usable I wouldnt have a million extra buyers that were willing to get them. err can't sneak nothin past you all.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't weld on a piston a keep the integrity of the ring lands.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you easily buy just one piston?

Quick Reply: SRP 9:1 pistons , dropped valve. are they reusable? Pics