Notices

Spark plugs with JG intake manifold what do they look like ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs with JG intake manifold what do they look like ?

Hey all, that are using the JG victor X intake manifold, has anyone noticed a difference in spark plug deposit when using this manifold ? ie individual cylinders running leaner or richer than others ?

Would be very interest to hear from other users… as im getting weird looking plugs when examining them after driving.

Regards James
Old 01-01-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Spark plugs with JG intake manifold what do they look like ? (BLKCRX)

It will always happen with that manifold because the runners are equal and in-line with each other. This allows the sonics coming from the engine to run up the runners and cause turbulance with-in the actual plenum. Which in turn causes some cylinders to get more air than the others. That manifold was designed with MoTeC in mind. You know the cylinder's each have their own o2 sensor and fuel maps instead of all the injectors being tied to one map. There's more to it, but it's very specific and takes a while to explain.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plugs with JG intake manifold what do they look like ? (tzsir)

It will always happen with that manifold because the runners are equal and in-line with each other. This allows the sonics coming from the engine to run up the runners and cause turbulance with-in the actual plenum. Which in turn causes some cylinders to get more air than the others. That manifold was designed with MoTeC in mind. You know the cylinder's each have their own o2 sensor and fuel maps instead of all the injectors being tied to one map. There's more to it, but it's very specific and takes a while to explain.
WTF ? almost all IM are equal in runner length, it may not as staright or as large as the Victor X but all IM runner are equal in length.

not doubting you, but give me an evidence of that the victor x was desgined with motec in mind, just curious...

stan
Old 01-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plugs with JG intake manifold what do they look like ? (Flamenco-T)

yeah that seems to make since... but sadly hondata controls all 4 injectors together.. unlike motec.. but then again hondata is 10x cheaper...

im maybe just being too paranoid each time I look at my plugs, im just finishing my engine run in process and about to turn up the boost, and tune her to 500hp (I hope) and I can’t help checking / making sure everything is healthy before we start boosting.
I guess there’s no solution to this problem. apart from crossing my fingers and hoping the lean cylinders ( 1 and 4 ) don’t run to lean, while the rich cylinders 2 and 3 don’t run to rich.

Anyone else got anything to add to this ?

Regards James
Old 01-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plugs with JG intake manifold what do they look like ? (BLKCRX)

yeah that seems to make since... but sadly hondata controls all 4 injectors together.. unlike motec.. but then again hondata is 10x cheaper...
that I agree, but I am just curious on how he came up with the theory that victor X is designed around motec. I thought manifold design is pretty much, shorter, fatter runner and big plenum to compensate extra air the turbo is pushing while keeping a steady velocity with shorter runner.

While, individual cylinder control is doen by controlling each cylinder own timing, spark and fuel...that's why you need a separate wideband o2 reading....nothing to do with intake manifold design and your plugs

stan

[Modified by Flamenco-T, 2:46 AM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plugs with JG intake manifold what do they look like ? (Flamenco-T)

Yeah that’s true also Stan…one would think equal flow = better more even flow into each cylinder…. im also interested to see if other fellow users of the victor X have seen the same effects….

Regards James
Old 01-02-2003, 01:32 AM

I apoligize if sometimes I don't make sense. I don't speak english very well. I sometimes forget the words I want to use and it's very frustrating to comvey my thoughts clearly.

The sound vibrations cause a harmonic disturbance, and thus creating turbulance and unequal air-flow. I came up with MoTeC because it's the only logical conclusion. Read-below...

It's not the length that does it. It's whether the runners are parallel with each other or not. For proper flow of air they must not be perfectly parallel with each other. The edelbrock manifold was designed for the track only in mind thus the runners are parallel. When they first started on it MoTeC was the instrument of choice for track only racers, and MoTeC can compensate for the variances. That's why they call it a full-race manifold.
If you really are worried about it either switch manifolds or get an ERL MF2 with an injector in front of your TB so you don't flood your engine when R's are low, and the sensor in your manifold. I'd personally use (rubbing) alcohol with it so you can run more timing with full boost. I hope I made sense.

[Modified by tzsir, 4:35 AM 1/2/2003]