Notices

Source for beaded hose to NPT Pipe adapter fittings to get rid of barbed fittings

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source for beaded hose to NPT Pipe adapter fittings to get rid of barbed fittings

I just had to re-route a ton of vacuum and other hoses and lines and had to cut hoses to get them to come off the barbed hose adapter fittings I used since no amount of pulling or use of a pointed hose remover tool would work.

I would like to use beaded end hose to NPT fittings in various sizes to get rid of all the barbed fittings which I hate. Honda does not use a single barbed fitting for any hose that I have seen, and all Honda fittings just have a bead on the end of the pipe with a spring clamp to hold the hose from coming off, and it is always easy to take Honda hoses on and off for servicing and mods.

Who makes such adapters and who sells them?

Also hose sizes from Honda are 5, 8 and 10 mm mostly. The 5 mm does not match a 1/4" very well, while the 8 mm matches a 5/16" hose, but there are not many hose adapters in that size. The 10 mm hose is well matched by a 3/8" hose, and there are many of those fittings (in barbed at least). So if you know of metric sized beaded hose fittings like Honda uses, all the better.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Source for beaded hose to NPT Pipe adapter fittings to get rid of barbed fittings (descartesfool

I don't think you'll have an easy time finding any. The reason Honda goes with 'beaded' connections is because everything they use is a bent steel tube with the bead rolled into it, then pressed into the aluminum head/block/IM/etc. Its cheaper to mass produce heads with reamed holes & pressed in fittings than to tap each hole and use brass.

Your best bet is to use silicone grease on the barb, then buy a bunch of small clamps to clamp the hose on fairly tight. This will let them slip right off when you want them to.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Source for beaded hose to NPT Pipe adapter fittings to get rid of barbed fittings (descartesfool

Here for example is an Acura OEM beaded steel tube fitting for a 8-9 mm (5/16") hose to NPT from the back of the block on an ITR for the breather bo that I removed to install my Endyn oil breather tank.

It is the #1 part in the diagram, number 11105-PR3-000 JOINT, PCV . Problem is the parts lists for Honda Acura don't tell you what size these fittings are so you have to have it in your hand to see. Some of them are pressed in like you say but some like that one are not. I think people just use barbed fittings because that is what you can buy at Home Depot, but automotive OEM's don't use them because they are a royal pain, they damage the hoses during service procedures, and are really hard to get off in some cases. If I could just find a source for those beaded tube hose fittings. I figure Honda knows what they are doing in the reliable hose connection department, so I would like to make my build more like their stuff.