Notices

Sound like an exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound like an exhaust leak?

Ok here are the symptoms i'm having after being boosted for about 2 weeks, street tuned:
1) Sounds like a tractor at 50%+ throttle, you know the sound(I can only hear it with windows down).
2) Boost gauge hasn't even reached 5psi(redlining 3rd gear and into 4th).
3) Can't get BOV to sound off when I rev it, only get it if i'm driving.

My Tial 38mm wastegate has a .7 bar spring that I am running off of(10.15psi). It really just doesn't feel like i'm getting 10psi... does this sound like it's probably an exhaust leak and the turbo isn't getting all the exhaust pressure that it should? When I installed the kit I used bolts instead of studs/nuts to mount the turbo to the turbo manifold, and 1 of them I had a real issue with getting it to tighten down and it never got fully tightened down like the rest, I used a new exhaust manifold gasket, and a new turbo/manifold gasket. I did not use a gasket for the downpipe cause I didn't know where to get one. Before I set a date to rip it apart(need to fix this before next weekend for dyno tuning), anyone think it might be something else?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Sound like an exhaust leak? (sykotic)

BTW I also think maybe the reason for not seeing the boost on my gauge might be that it's a cheap gauge(Megan Racing)... I dunno, seems to read vaccum fine.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sound like an exhaust leak? (sykotic)

1) Do you have an external wastegate with open dumptube? If so this is normal. If not, the leak likely exists in the dumptube since it only really sounds at large throttle angles. if you are getting little boost, and this is the problem, I would say the wastegate is the culprit for the low boost.

Otherwise, the best thing to is to visually inspect the exhaust. Since most turbo cars run rich, you should be able to see soot buildup around any leaks.

2) If it feels like you aren't making full boost then you likely aren't. The gauge may or may not be accurate.

3) This depends on the type of BOV. You should not be able to make very much boost at idle, and many BOVs will not actuate at less than a couple PSI. Unless you have a DSM BOV, which is actually open at idle, I would not expect to hear the tssst while not driving.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Sound like an exhaust leak? (beepy)

I have my dumptube welded to dump into the exhaust, I have a brand new Tial 38mm Wastegate, i bought it new from a Tial dealer. I have a gasket between the dumptube and the wastegate, and its tightened down well. I'll do a visual inspection of everything today. I do have a DSM BOV and all I hear when I rev it near redline is a slight whistle, no blow off.