Notices

Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?"

I really don't know why.

In the end I spent about 1100 for a system that I have to burn chips if I want to change anything.

IMO, I really wish I just went with the AEM and saved my $. Everyone just pushed me in the Hondata direction because it was "cheaper" and easier to tune. WTF? Its neither of those. The AEM would be just as easy if I were given some time to learn all of its features, and If I had a problem I know of people locally using it successfully.

This whole experience has been such a hassel for me, and I just had to vent. I had to call Hondata today to get the Romeditor software, and I must say on they're customer service. The woman couldn't understand why I just needed the romeditor software and not the whole system.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?" (Bryson)

Apexi Power FC A true standalone...yes I know I opened up a can of worms
Old 09-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Join the club. It has worked out well for me, but the lack of on the fly tuning really pisses me off.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?" (integra_gsr98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra_gsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Join the club. It has worked out well for me, but the lack of on the fly tuning really pisses me off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here.

I mean, it works great, but for the total money invested its just crap! Hell for a few hundred more I could have just gone with an Accel DFI setup.

It sounds great at first (wow 450 for engine management!) but once everything is added up I'm starting to think twice.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?" (4-banging)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4-banging &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Apexi Power FC A true standalone...yes I know I opened up a can of worms </TD></TR></TABLE>

There are a few True standalones.. The AEM EMS is one of them..
Old 09-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ditto!

I have had my share of issues with them and they continue. Time for AEM.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not going to be too much of a technical or helpful answer but........ Out of the racers I know 10:1 use hondata compared to AEM. Everyone ive known w/ AEM has had problems. Problems idling. Random ****. Car just shuts off at the end of track. Updated to a new version of aem and its fixed. like WTF? Hondata, no one has ever had a single problem, other then burning up a pocket programmer and complaining about burning chips. The program itself runs flawless. but yeh, i warned you im not too helpful.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really don't know why.

In the end I spent about 1100 for a system that I have to burn chips if I want to change anything.

IMO, I really wish I just went with the AEM and saved my $. Everyone just pushed me in the Hondata direction because it was "cheaper" and easier to tune. WTF? Its neither of those. The AEM would be just as easy if I were given some time to learn all of its features, and If I had a problem I know of people locally using it successfully.

This whole experience has been such a hassel for me, and I just had to vent. I had to call Hondata today to get the Romeditor software, and I must say on they're customer service. The woman couldn't understand why I just needed the romeditor software and not the whole system.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bryson,
You would change your mind if you got the AEM. I have tuned both and it is MUCH more complicated than Hondata. Trust me. Obviously you have tuned neither of them. I hope you understand that I don't mean this in bad way, just saying from experience.
I guess I don't see why it isn't working? What am I missing here?

1 thing I do agree with you is the CS of Hondata. I have been through the same ordeal about a year ago. It was like the FBI investigating me. She wanted to verify my dick size just make sure I actually own Hondata.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?" (integra_gsr98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra_gsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Join the club. It has worked out well for me, but the lack of on the fly tuning really pisses me off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, Hondata has had on the fly tuning for about 2 years.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to Crome and Uberdata
Old 09-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my personal experience, but I completely agree with you Bryson. I have owned and tuned both systems, and I love the AEM. Its not as difficult as people make it out to be... if you take the time to learn it (which is not really hard at all) and you can tune on the fly.

I had a rediculous number of probems with the hondata... it just never worked right. Chips frying, ecu's frying, in the middle of tuning the thing left me stranded on the side of the highway more times than I can count

It seems that most people who have hondada swear by it, love it, and never have any problems. But everyone in my town that I know with the system had the same problems that I did
Old 09-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?" (ladysman)

And with the amount of money I have into my stage 4 system w/ romulator and burner, I will not be upgrading to something current from Hondata. "On the fly" with the romulator is also not what I'm looking for.

If my stage 4 could have on the fly capabilities like the kpro that would be great. However the ECU design doesn't allow that.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Um, Hondata has had on the fly tuning for about 2 years.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was thinking too. Unless they're talking about the early versions of Hondata/ROMeditors?

But I agree on the CS from Hondata...LOL! Had to send in a DNA sample, fingerprints, credit report, personal references, and a Notarized letter from the Pope to get some help! Seriously!
Old 09-02-2004, 02:27 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?" (Finest)

thats why i went uber WOOT...
Old 09-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was going to run a hondata too, but after you added it all up, a EMS wasnt much more, and had more features. Although I am pretty sure im going to run the Autronic PNP. st00pid got me interested in it, he and everyone I have talked to say good things!

Jay
Old 09-02-2004, 03:19 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?" (djdxm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djdxm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was going to run a hondata too, but after you added it all up, a EMS wasnt much more, and had more features. Although I am pretty sure im going to run the Autronic PNP. st00pid got me interested in it, he and everyone I have talked to say good things!

Jay</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree...i had hondata and it was fine. but i was disgusted at the price i would have to pay to tune myself. I sold it and went uberdata and couldn't be more happy for the time being. I will admit the Autronic PNP has sparked my intrest...but uberdata is working great for now.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo Edit ownz!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo Edit ownz!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

im there with you brother, and seems a little easier than uberdata, the only problem i see with the free stuff is its always in development and if u run into a pinch its kinda hard to call some one for support. But hey beggers cant be choosers
Old 09-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Um, Hondata has had on the fly tuning for about 2 years.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah but its not permanent until you burn it to a chip.

Bryson I feel your pain. But know that the AEM is a pain in the *** too. Ive owned the system for over a year and just now am I able to tune a vehicle to the point where it can start, idle and cruise ok. Not to mention make serious power. Its very hard. Im confident I could tune a Hondata system with ease by comparison.

And getting tuning help from actual tuners here is next to impossible. Tuning knowledge is definitely secretive on honda-tech.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?" (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
. Tuning knowledge is definitely secretive on honda-tech.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true that its like hit or miss, learn some thing and have sucess or call a tow truck
Old 09-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mad Chemist)

Autronic has been my number 1 ecu, has always been and always will be. with the new PnP boards for odb1, u cant go wrong.

what does a hondata cost to get running nowadays? thats a hondata with odb2 to 1 conversion with 3 bar map sensor and boost option...
Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 PM

well if u wanna tune on the fly then ya u should have gone aem. but i picked up my hondata with boost for $400, got it tuned, and for a dialy driver its perfect. burning different roms if u wanna change **** would get agravating but if it helps i used to look in the classifieds all the time and every once in a while i saw people who are looking to trade there aem for the whole hondata setup w/ecu. check there and im sure ull find someone.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:14 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?" (donkiman)

i will say it again , uberdata is the same **** as hondata.....too bad it takes somebody to spend a grand to realize it . hondata is NOT a standalone like people say . spending 400 dollars on the base unit does NOT mean its worth it. id spend the extra money and get autronic or what not. but people get hondata because everyone else has it . and i would never buy hondata , its a great system , but the same can be had for less.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and I must say on they're customer service.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed..
Old 09-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really don't know why.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

FINALLY, someone has seen the light! This is why I reccomend AEM, NOT Hondata. Besides Hondata having a crappy rule about dealers and software. Their systems are NOT worth the money. Might as well go a TRUE stand alone with i think the best Tech support....AEM!

-Mike

Quick Reply: Soo..."why the hell did I go with Hondata again?"