Notices

Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo??

Old 05-06-2003, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo??

So I sent my turbo to majestic turbo and check it out

The owner, Kelvin, a very nice guy, said that something came out FROM the engine and hit the turbine wheel REALLY BAD, and killed the fins, so now the question is...

WHAT THE **** CAN THAT BE???

How should I prevent this to happen again??

Please guys, I have spent 420 for a brand new turbo.. basically... I don't want it to happen gain !!

thanks very much !!

Edit: Should I run the car with just the manifold on and see anything came out?/ hehe.. i know it's a stupid idea... hehe

Old 05-06-2003, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (TurBoXBirD16)

First you need to see what came out. On my buddies car we found cracked valved stuck to his cat. Basically things flying out the motor is not a good thing. You could some crazy amout of damage to the cylinder walls and head if something is boucing around in there.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (dwn-shift)

Yea, I want to know what actually came out.. how do I know??

If there is something inside the engine bouncing around.... what would that be??

So mostly like it's will be from the head, right? Maybe I should check if the head is in good condition??

Becuase if something in the block broke, the compression would show.. but my compressionns are good...

Also, do you guys think it's possible that *thing* actually came out already through the turbo??

I have a gutted cat, so everything that went through the turbo would be out of the exhaust already....

Maybe somebody can tell me a good precedure to check if there is anything inside the engine??

thanks
Old 05-06-2003, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (TurBoXBirD16)

The only way to find out if something came loose on the head is to pull the head. But if the guy is for sure something really big came shooting out the motor i would pull the head regardless just to make sure the cylinder walls are not torn up. If you dropped a valve or something you would notice the car running really lumpy. You might have also picked up something through your intake. If you are really worried pull the head and check everything out, this would be the only real way to check everything.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (dwn-shift)

so.. if i am not really worried, i should just take off my value cover and see if all the values are doing fine, right??

IF something is wrong with it, then i would atke off the head

That guy didn't say IT'S BIG thing. but he is sure it's from the engine...
I will probably ask him later to see if it's possible that thing is small and went through the turbo
Old 05-06-2003, 08:24 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the head off man.. Did you do a compression test?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (SIXTYdashONE)

pull the head off is a big task for myself...

yes i have been doing compression tests, all good
Old 05-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pull the head, check all the valve keepers. if anything flew out and you can't tell any major effect, it'll be one of the valve keepers.

stan
Old 05-06-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (Flamenco-T)

damn.. pull the head......

do i need a new headgasket??

coz i am extremely short of money, i don't wantto spend a buck anymor e!

i can just use a copper spray?
Old 05-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pull the valve cover, look on the upper part of the valve, under the rocker arm. there should be two half moon shape piece of metal that hold the valve to the retainer. check and make sure there are 2 keepers on each valve...

do this before you even thinking on pulling the head

stan
Old 05-06-2003, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (Flamenco-T)

What do you have on the inlet side of the turbo? If you just have mesh, then small rocks could get through there....
Old 05-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurBoXBirD16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I sent my turbo to majestic turbo and check it out

The owner, Kelvin, a very nice guy, said that something came out FROM the engine and hit the turbine wheel REALLY BAD, and killed the fins, so now the question is...

WHAT THE **** CAN THAT BE???

How should I prevent this to happen again??

Please guys, I have spent 420 for a brand new turbo.. basically... I don't want it to happen gain !!

thanks very much !!

Edit: Should I run the car with just the manifold on and see anything came out?/ hehe.. i know it's a stupid idea... hehe

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Came out from the engine? Maybe a spark plug tip? I'm just guessing here...
Old 05-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (bryan305)

nothing from the compressor side would have nay chance on getting thru the turbine side.

stan\
Old 05-06-2003, 11:55 AM
You_Get_Vapors

Maybe it was a chunk of carbon?????
Old 05-06-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (You_Get_Vapors)

i guess i will do what you say, Stan

But let me make this clear

So something came out from my engine... THEN it killed the fins of the turbo, THEN.... what happens to that thing??? it went back into the engine?? is this possible??

Or maybe when I take the turbo off, that thing actually fell out??

Damn... I remember my turbo is making a sound which I thought it's normal.. maybe it's not !!!

Damn.. I guess I will:
Check the values stuff, if everything is fine, install the turbo
IF the turbo doesn't make that sound anymore, then that thing is gone...
agreed??
Old 05-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, if you're missing one of the 2 keepers on the valve, then I am almost certain that that keeper is the reason why your turbo is gone.

if not, post it and we'll keep trying to solve it

stan
Old 05-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (You_Get_Vapors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by You_Get_Vapors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe it was a chunk of carbon????? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah have you guys considered some built up gunk that might have come loose?
Old 05-06-2003, 03:54 PM

While anything is possible, the odds of this happening is pretty slim.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurBoXBirD16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess i will do what you say, Stan

So something came out from my engine... THEN it killed the fins of the turbo, THEN.... what happens to that thing??? it went back into the engine?? is this possible??
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-06-2003, 05:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nothing from the compressor side would have nay chance on getting thru the turbine side.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not? It goes in through the compressor, through the engine and ends up messing up the turbine on the way out...
Old 05-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (bryan305)

if that's what you're reffering to, yeah, I guess that can happen. I was understanding that the debris goes from the compressor side to the turbine side, which is impossible to happens.

stan
Old 05-06-2003, 06:28 PM

well, not directly...c'mon gimme more credit than that
Old 05-06-2003, 06:57 PM

majestic turbo said it's only possible that somethign FROM the engine kills the turbo.. now the compressor side....

so it's the engine.. it's freaking snowing today outside ! so i will need to wait a few days to check out the valeues

thanks guys
Old 05-06-2003, 07:09 PM

Engine killing turbo instead of turbo killing engine? How ironic.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:12 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

The compressor blades are much weaker than the turbine blades, correct? Anyways, if the compressor side is still fine, it cannot be a rock or something or your compressor wheel would be damaged . It must be something from the engine.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo?? (mos)

How exactly is a valve keeper going to get into the exhaust? Id say a peice of carbon or ceramic from the spark plug had to have come out of the motor. Thats about the only thing that can get out that wouldnt have to come into the motor. If it entered the motor the compressor side would be messed up. I did once about 6 years ago have a turbo from my MR2 fly apart. The turbine wheel totally disintigrated but i was boosting way over its capabilities.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Something Came out from the engine and killed the turbo??