Notices

Someone remind me why I did this

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 05:29 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone remind me why I did this

I need an "atta boy Bill" or something. I went street racing on Friday and all that was out was American muscle. I raced two Firebirds, one was a WS6, and both had a few bolt on's. I couldn't hang with them even from a roll although at least it was closer against the non-WS6. From a light it wasn't even close. Then I managed to edge out what looked like a bone stock 4.6 GT from a roll. The car was running well so I really have no excuses, which I don't like to make anyway, when I lose I can suck it up and salute the winner.

It's disheartening to see more and more cars that are turning low 13's right off the showroom floor. I'm even wondering how I'd fair against a new Maxima or even Altima. If some dad takes me on the way back from soccer practice I'll go nuts.

I've been thinking more and more about selling the 'teg and getting a C-5 but I'm worried even then that some teenager with a slightly modded F body will be able to take me.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (5 Liter Eater)

most people were i live are taking the v8's and just strapin nos kits to them. that is why they are so fast. also the new 4.6gt's are fast. my buddy has one with gears intake and exhaust and he pulls on me (not by too much, but beats me). but i just have a sohc turbo running 4psi. maybe you should just get a turbo!!
Old 06-10-2002, 05:37 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Solution: More BOOST

Hehe. Well, that is just one option...
Old 06-10-2002, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Turrrrrrrrbo
Old 06-10-2002, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry, it just takes more time, patience, and thinking to put your car where you want it. It looks like you are on a good track.....both with your car and with your good lose/win race attitude.
I wish there were more good sports here in my area. It is a rare thing to find.

Atta boy Bill
Old 06-10-2002, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (SLPR)

throw ur supercharger away and get some real power. just get a turbo and boost like 9lbs, then u can hang.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:47 AM

AUTOCROSS!!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 08:08 AM
New User

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (b18tdelsol)

throw ur supercharger away and get some real power. just get a turbo and boost like 9lbs, then u can hang.
thats what im talkin about! throw away that supercharger.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (b18tdelsol)

Your setup should be good for 220whp and thats with boost off the line too. How was traction? suspension?
Old 06-10-2002, 08:21 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (cracker099)

Yea, I dyno'ed @ 215/155. My stock header and exhaust (with exception of test pipe) is holding back another ~15 HP but that's still not enough. Suspension is stock and tires are Kuhmo Ecsta 712's. The boost off the line is a real problem. Can't get all the way into it until just after shifting into second or I'm up in smoke.

I knew from the get go that a turbo would make more power but the SC was cheap ($1550) power. The 108k miles on the motor probably isn't helping either even though a recent leakdown was between 5-8% on all 4 cylinders. I'm just expecting too much from my setup I suppose. I need to start picking on more NA imports. (Yes I know that there are some NA imports that could hand me my *** as well, so don't start )
Old 06-10-2002, 08:29 AM
New User

you should get some new tires. i have traction problems too and its mainly because of my tires. try gettin some falken azenis or drag radials. upgrading your shocks would also help. since you dont have to worry about any intercooler piping gettin in the way, you should get some Z10 bars. dustin has said that these work really good for traction. also, i noticed u still had your stock header on? WHY?! your best bet is to free up those exhaust gases and replace that stock header. your setup netting you 215hp seems cool... but you need to upgrade other things to get the most power out of what you already have.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (dlplayboy)

Boost is a nice route, if not that, then I could suggest practicing where it counts, launching. That's what I've been occupied with lately and it's working out for me. I've outlaunched my fair share of domestics and imports.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (dlplayboy)

The stock header and exhaust is a result of me not being serious about the car and therefore I guess I really have no right to complain. I suppose 215 is pretty good given my setup and in fact I only picked up ~2 HP in three wideband dyno runs so it was pretty well butt dyno tuned from the start.

I should just be happy with what I have done and not expect to beat a new F Body with 215 WHP. Sure I should upgrade the exhaust system as well but I still should not expect that to work any magic for me, just make the car more fun to drive, albeit louder.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:12 AM
New User

I'm not sure how much of a DIY guy you are, but considering you've already got the fuel setup in pretty good shape, you could put together a custom turbo kit for pretty low cost - $400 manifold, $450 for a new T3/4 if another group buy rolls around, pick up a $100 starion IC and around $150 or so worth of pipes, connectors, oil lines... you could sell off the base JRSC kit for a lot more than that.

That same 9 psi would buy you an extra 60-80 hp and put you a LOT closer to where you seem to want to be performance wise, and really at no more risk to your engine aside from difficulties at smog time.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (dbman96)

I'm not sure how much of a DIY guy you are, but considering you've already got the fuel setup in pretty good shape, you could put together a custom turbo kit for pretty low cost - $400 manifold, $450 for a new T3/4 if another group buy rolls around, pick up a $100 starion IC and around $150 or so worth of pipes, connectors, oil lines... you could sell off the base JRSC kit for a lot more than that.

That same 9 psi would buy you an extra 60-80 hp and put you a LOT closer to where you seem to want to be performance wise, and really at no more risk to your engine aside from difficulties at smog time.
That's true. I never thought I'd be one of the many that sell off the JRSC to go turbo but when you put it like that (breaking even or even making $ one the conversion) it sounds more tempting.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont worry about beating every car out there. If u like your car and enjoy driving it in its current state, save your money and leave it how it is.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (quikrpm)

dont worry about beating every car out there. If u like your car and enjoy driving it in its current state, save your money and leave it how it is.
I agree, many people will be faster, but you will still be faster than a lot. If you like how it drives and have fun with it, keep it and don't worry about beating everyone in town. Eventually, there will be new products, new ideas and better things available for you if you decide to keep it.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Someone remind me why I did this (technine)

there are many who can hand me my ***, but i dont really care... JRSC @ 6psi... holy shiot! (not) if you really want some speed invest about $500 in some NAWWSS! It will cool down your intake charge as well as add some more power on it own and you'll easily do 12's, given traction.