Notices

Some Words Regarding Wideband Tuning a Hondata System

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 04:15 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some Words Regarding Wideband Tuning a Hondata System

Well, after 3 tries at Dyno tuning my car, I finally broke down and decided to do things myself. I built the diy wideband unit from Australia and it corresponds exactly to a Motec Lambda meter. There is a +.03 lambda difference in what the meter shows and what the Hondata Logger shows when plugged into the ECU which means if anything, I will be running very slightly rich when finished.

The following points after 6hrs of in car, on the road tuning:

1. The base maps by Hondata for the GSR are probably way rich based on my car.

2. Tuning on a Dyno in no way approximates real world driving and may give you a smooth curve in one gear and a good A:F in that one curve.

3. I believe all the stuttering people are having while driving is because we shift at different places depending on different conditions and dyno tuning does not address this at all. You have to do that on the street and it takes PATIENCE!

4. After 6hrs of doing this myself (I wish I had a partner who I trusted with computers and the RomEditor program to adjust things as I drove), I am still running a bit rich but have made incredible power increases in all gears at all rpms (I will try to dyno the car again in a few weeks).

5. I am still getting the typical stuttering like other people at around 4000rpm cruising speeds of 75-80mph---Doug, can I send you my latest ROM and a datalog so you can see?

6. I wish Romeditor had a way of playing back a graph of the lambda readings when datalogging. If it can, i can't figure out how to do that. I think only HondaLogger can do that.

Others, please post their tips and experiences!
Torin
Old 04-22-2002, 05:34 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Some Words Regarding Wideband Tuning a Hondata System (GruvyTune)

I believe my base map is rich as well, I guess it is better to have that then be lean. The car pulls good, but I think it should be better. We'll see what kind of tuning Tom Payn can do for me.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some Words Regarding Wideband Tuning a Hondata System (97CivicFerio)

97Civic.. are you running around on the base map only, or did you get your Hondata tuned yet? Which one did you get?
Old 04-22-2002, 07:16 AM
New User

Default Re: Some Words Regarding Wideband Tuning a Hondata System (VTC_CiViC)

Yeah I am on a base map that SGT provided. I have yet to get it tuned. I have a 2B with no datalogging.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:40 AM
New User

Default Re: Some Words Regarding Wideband Tuning a Hondata System (97CivicFerio)

When I picked up my car from dyno tuning, the tuner said that he unplugged the clutch switch and the set button on my 3b because I was having stuttering around 4k rpm. Apparently, unplugging these got rid of the problem. He told me to check the wiring with a test light, but I find it interesting that many other people are experiencing the same problem. I'll try plugging the switch back in to see what kind of results I get. I know it's a long shot, but maybe the clutch switch is causing problems for other people as well. Of course, if this is happening to someone with a 2b, then it negates my theory. Oh well, just thought I'd let you guys know.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:17 AM

So can you draw up a diagram of hooking up the DIY wide band to the hondata? I am awaiting my order from DIY wideband from Aus. and would like a general idea of how to integrate with my hondata. That is if I can get my hondata to work. Sent it out for repair and came back still not working. Plan to call up Doug today. Car been down for 3 wks now.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:32 AM
New User

Default Re: Some Words Regarding Wideband Tuning a Hondata System (SilverLudeSi)

I am not using the clutch switch so that in part negates that theory.
I don't see any blips in my lambda readings above or below that point.

Perhaps its the throttle tip in enrichment that is off. I tried adjusting that higher (actually the crank enrichment since these are apparently reversed) and it did not change the behavior. I have left both of those the same number as the injector multiplier but I wonder if that number is way off since that created an environment that is very rich in fuel.

Can some of you please email me your ROM files so I can compare to mine??

Torin
Old 04-22-2002, 08:35 AM
New User

It may be better to be a bit rich than lean but not too rich. If you are as rich as I had been running for too long you run the risk of depositing so much carbon you will clog your cat at the least.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:44 AM
New User

Yep, I hear that! I have some carbon in my exhaust from running too rich. I plan to remedy that shortly!
Old 04-22-2002, 08:45 AM
New User

Default Re: Some Words Regarding Wideband Tuning a Hondata System (karmannghia)

So can you draw up a diagram of hooking up the DIY wide band to the hondata? I am awaiting my order from DIY wideband from Aus. and would like a general idea of how to integrate with my hondata. That is if I can get my hondata to work. Sent it out for repair and came back still not working. Plan to call up Doug today. Car been down for 3 wks now.

Well, its really a no brainer. Just parallel 2 leads off the two that go from the wideband controller to the display unit. Run them to a harness off an old o2 sensor and plug them into your existing o2 harness. run a 1K resistor across the heater (the 2 black) leads so you don't get code 1 ecu error.

thats all there is to it!

Are you buying the kit or an assembled unit? If you are getting the kit I suggest you take your time as it is a bitch to put together. the updated instructions and testing procedures on their website is very helpful for troubleshooting. Peter is very helpful as well.

good luck

[Modified by GruvyTune, 12:47 PM 4/22/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Some Words Regarding Wideband Tuning a Hondata System (SilverLudeSi)

SilverludeSi, your studder was at 3200 rpm, not 4k. this is incorrect switch action, or perhaps a bad solder joint. I resoldered the socket, chip and jumper in your computer. It didn't look very good at all. I don't remember reconnecting the clutch switch to check it cause you need to check the wiring. I used my 4BD box to tune with and I did check the part throttle tuning from 35 to 85 mph using the brake on my dyno. After a few years using the brake to tune part throttle with, I've gotten a pretty good feel for it. Perhaps not absolutely perfect, but usually very close. It is virtually impossible to do a "mailorder" tune that will be "right". Sometimes the best tuner in the world is going to have to go back in and make an adjustment under some operating condition. It takes the OEM's about 2 years to completely "nail" a calibration on a given vehicle. We have a very big plus in that the Hondata system still uses the original crank up and cold start tables. That alone eliminates a tremendous amount of tuning time. I've run on enough.
later, Mark
Old 04-22-2002, 11:27 AM
New User

2. Tuning on a Dyno in no way approximates real world driving and may give you a smooth curve in one gear and a good A:F in that one curve.

3. I believe all the stuttering people are having while driving is because we shift at different places depending on different conditions and dyno tuning does not address this at all. You have to do that on the street and it takes PATIENCE!
I disagree. I have tuned several cars on the dyno, and have had no problems with stuttering and the like. For #2, at WOT, yes, it is the same for all gears. You can tune a car in 3rd gear, if you know what you are doing, the same will hold true for all gears. For partial throttle, that too can be done on the dyno.

Dyno tuning is somewhat of an art form. That you will learn only with experience.