Notices

Some welding information you all might find helpful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series 1: ARC Welding Electrode Grouping.

This is going to be long, so prepare yourself for a good read! This mostly concerns arc welding btw. This is different electrodes and the groupings, there will be more to come. Read at the bottom for a small preview.

Fast-Freeze Group (E6010, E6011)
This group includes electrodes which have a snappy, deep penetrating arc and fast freezing deposits. They are commonly called the "Reverse Polarity" electrodes, even though some can be used on AC. These electrodes have little slag and produce flat beads. All except Fleetweld 180 produce X-Ray quality welds and are frequently used on pressure vessel code work. They are widely used for all types of all-position welding, for both fabrication and repair work. Typically used with Motions "A" or "B" (Below) for the first pass on verticle welds.

Fill-Freeze Group (E6012, E60113, E7014)
This group includes electrodes which have a moderately forceful arc and deposit rates between those of the fast-freeze and fast-fill electrodes. They are commonly called the "straight polarity" electrodes, even though they may be used on AC. These electrodes have complete slag coverage and beads with distinct, even ripples. They are the "General-Purpose" electrode for production shops and are widely used for repair work. They can be used in all positions, though the fast-freeze electrodes are preferred for verticle and overhead jobs. General run verticle-down on sheet metal. When used verticle-up, Motion "D" is generally used though Motions "A" and "B" are suitible.

Fast-Fill Group (E6027,E7024)
This group includes the heavy coated, iron powder, electrodes with their soft arc and fast deposit rates. These electrodes have a heave slag and produce exceptionally smooth beads. They are generally used for production welding where all work can be positioned for downhand welding. Stringer beads, with drag technique are always preferred over weave passes with these electrodes.

Low Hydrogen Group (E7018, E7028)
These electrodes are generally called "Low Hydrogen". The name comes from the fact that their coating contains little hydrogen in either moisture or chemical form. Low hydrogen electrodes offer these benefits: oustanding crack resistance, elimination of porposity on sulphur bearing steels, and X-Ray quality deposits. Thus, they are the first choice whenever welding "Problem" steels. They can be used in all positions, with Motion "D" required for the first pass on verticle up welds. NEVER use a whipping technique or a long arc with these electrodes. ALWAYS keep these electrodes dry. Electrodes not used within a few hours after a container is opened MUST be stored in heated cabinets. ALSO NEVER USE WITH DC-.

Motion "A" is a straight whipping motion used with fast-freeze electrodes to make stringer beads in all positions and on all types of joints. It keeps the molten pool small and let's it freeze quickly so the weld metal doesn't spill down or t hrough the join. Keep arc short when in the crater and longer during the whip out from the crater.

Motion "B" is a whipping motion combined with a slight weave in the crater. It is used with fast-freeze electrodes as the first pass on verticle fillets and V-Butts.

Motion "C" is a simple side-to-side weave used with all typers of electrodes to make fill passes on verticle fillets and V'Butts. Also sometimes used with fill-freeze and low hydrogen to make first pass on these joints.

Motion "D" is a triangular weave used with fill-freeze and low hydrogen to make first pass verticle fillets and V-Butts. It results in a larger weld than Motion "C".

Motion "E" is a box weave used with all types of electrodes to make fill passes on verticle fillects and V-Butts. IT is ismilar to MOtion "C", but with a distinct pause and slight upward motion at each edge of the weld to assure complete crater filling and elmination of undercut.

Motion "F" is a circular motion used with all types of electrodes to make overhead welds. Sometimes accompanied by a slight whip after each oscillation in the crater. Always use a series of stringer beads overhead, do not weave.

Motion "G" is a simple side-to-side weave used with all electrodes on wide fillets or butts in flat position.

<U>MORE TO COME!!</U>

Hope you folks all enjoyed that. There will be more to come, charts for Electrode IDing, and operating data, IE What amperage to use per electrode size (1/8" 5/32" etc), also tells what position, type of coating they contain, what current to use, how much penetration they all give, rate deposition and more!

Modified by AB16A2T at 11:57 PM 2/14/2004
Old 02-15-2004, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a welder just sitting in my garage because I dont know how to use it. lol
Old 02-15-2004, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T-RO)

good write up. Theres plenty of good info in the welding thread but its kinda hard to find what you are looking for when there are like 30 pages LOL.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:48 AM

Default Re: (genop)

That is pretty much the main reason I made this thread, I am taking Arc Welding Theory right now, and this is stuff I have learned from being in the class for only a month, I have so much more, and I do believe I am going to do write ups as I go, with the class, I have maybe 4 or 5 more on some stuff as it is right now. I think it'll be fairly helpful to everyone on here. There is even going to be a writeup on selecting the right gas mixture or pure gas for a certain metal, rather than just pure argon, there is a recommended mixture for aluminum. Same thing goes for stainless steel.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Series 1: ARC Welding Electrode Grouping. (AB16A2T)

Up once for people to read.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:16 PM

Deffinetly learned something new. Great job man
Old 02-19-2004, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Series 1: ARC Welding Electrode Grouping. (blown_LS)

One more up for this post, you guys can expect another post tonight with some more information, more than likely what kind of gases are appropriate for certain metals. I think you'll find this next installment pretty damn cool.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:56 PM

Up yo.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:53 AM

Up For Saturday Morning People.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:24 AM

you should eliminate this post, and make your comments part of the welding thread
Old 02-22-2004, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Series 1: ARC Welding Electrode Grouping. (lazerus)

I figure this will be nice for people wanting to be able to look up individual posts instead of searching through a 40+ page thread.