Notices

Some piston questions about my new build...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some piston questions about my new build...

I've decided that I am going to tear down my B16 shortblock that I'm trading for my gsr crower rods to replace the bearings and just give it an overal inspection. However, since I'm in there I'm thinking about replacing the stock pistons with some basic SRP forged units (high silicon) on the stock rods.

Since I'm only looking for about 300 uncorrected HP, I'm not really sure what to do. On one hand, I'm worried about the stock pistons holding up, and on the other I'm worried about the reliability of putting those forged pistons in there.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:39 PM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Some piston questions about my new build... (Bryson)

i'd throw in forged pistons and rods if you have the time and money, but the factory stuff, well tuned, can do it just fine...but for how long? i dunno.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you still thinking about doing this? I always feel that there's something to be said about a stock block that was assembled by honda. If you're going to be in there and you're planning on replacing the bearings, you could check all the clearances, get all new gaskets, etc.. By the time you've done that, you might as well throw in some forged pistons and some nice rods and up your final HP goal.

I guess I just really like stock, untouched, unabused honda blocks. If you're going to tear into it you might as well do it right