Notices

Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (please)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (please)

Heres the deal. I have talked to the 3 guys i know that do more swaps than anyone ive ever met and we are all stumped...

Put a motor in the car. Took it for a ride. Felt good.

100 miles later, do small stuff like tighten up swaybar bushings... 20 miles later vibes start eminating from the passenger side front end. vibes are BAD. like shaking ther whole car, mirror shaking

I change the axle out (using a new driveshaft shop axle, so thats good), no difference, vibes. I figure, maybe its a wheel bearing. So i put on another integra spindle. No difference, vibes. I pull the tranny, take it apart. Dont see anything that could cause the vibes, diff is healthy, put the tranny back on. Put EVERYTHING back together. Take the car for a ride, vibes.

WTF> Im stumped. I need to run the car saturday, and make some dyno pull sby the end of this week. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (FFgeoff)

only when moving, right ?
Old 05-21-2002, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (FFgeoff)

Swap tires side to side and see if vibration goes to other side of car. Maybe you have a tread or ply seperating or perhaps you threw a tire balance weight. Where we goin to dinner, friend?
Old 05-21-2002, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (earl)

i should have been more clear....

When the car is up in the air, and in gear (its peglegged) I can spin the driver's side wheel. While spinning this, i can observe the pass side suspension actually moving up and down. that is what i am guessing is causing the vibes..

at very low speeds, it is extremely noticeable.

[Modified by FFgeoff, 10:39 PM 5/21/2002]
Old 05-21-2002, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (dustin)

yep only when moving. When i first got the vibrations, it appaeraed to go away under accel and decel... I just talked to a buddy whos an acura tech and said a buletin went out similar to this for legends and vigors... i t was the intermediate shaft. He had never heard of something like this for an integra, but its possible?? Thats the *only* thing i havent changed yet...
Old 05-21-2002, 06:46 PM

I get something similar, but its a wobble. Not a quick vibration. Probably not the same problem, but the mechanics guessed mine to be a bearing problem. My CV join is fucked also. Did you check your axles? I forgot. If not... then that's an obvious must.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (OKSolSi)

OK scratch that last post, I re-read yours. Was this your car before you put the swap in it? How did it drive before the new engine? Take it and make sure its balanced and aligned correctly... you'd be surprised how many alignment settings there are and how bad they can mess things up if barely off. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bum differental?
only thing i can think of espically because you replaced the axle.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (zyg)

this happened to my car, you know what it was, the hubring from my aftermarket wheels were still stuck on one side, ended up breaking a stud. on my friends car that had a bad shake,turned out he had a busted steel radial in the tire.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (lucas569)

i think it's the intermediate shaft. try that first. the shaft could be too long or the bearing went bad and is binding. just some of my .0000002
Old 05-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (KAMiN)

when the tranny was apart i was checking the diff... it was perfect. the spiders were healthy.

I swapped the wheels front to rear, no difference.

The hubcentric ring things are not in the way, thats not an issue..

Ive got 3 ppl rooting for the interemediate shaft (its the only thing i *havent* changed) so i guess thats tomorrow. I cant keep doing this ****, i am getting behind in other stuff. If it doesnt get fixed tomororw the car is going back to the back burner for a little while...

edit 4 ppl... i jsut dont understand why the intermediate shaft would cause the passenger side suspension to hop up and down...

[Modified by FFgeoff, 12:37 AM 5/22/2002]
Old 05-21-2002, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when the tranny was apart i was checking the diff... it was perfect. the spiders were healthy.

I swapped the wheels front to rear, no difference.

The hubcentric ring things are not in the way, thats not an issue..

Ive got 3 ppl rooting for the interemediate shaft (its the only thing i *havent* changed) so i guess thats tomorrow. I cant keep doing this ****, i am getting behind in other stuff. If it doesnt get fixed tomororw the car is going back to the back burner for a little while...

edit 4 ppl... i jsut dont understand why the intermediate shaft would cause the passenger side suspension to hop up and down...

[Modified by FFgeoff, 12:37 AM 5/22/2002]
thats what im saying man
dosent make sense...

oh, what happens when you spin the other wheel while its on stands?
is it normal?

[Modified by KAMiN, 9:40 PM 5/21/2002]
Old 05-21-2002, 08:41 PM
New User

Why would a bad intermediate shaft cause passenger side vib? Unless it's slanted and forcing the diff to point up or down ( Diff is not centered). The passenger suspension wobbles while turning driver side wheel seems to me that the diff or what ever connect both axle at the transmission is not centered.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) ([Evo]Hybrid)

ill find out tomorrow i guess if its the interemdiate shaft or not. the diff was fine, as well as the housing for it when i took it all apart yesterday.

When the car is in the air, and both wheels are at full droop, the springs are completely unloaded and they are just hanging there, the passenger side binds up causing the suspension to "hop".
Old 05-21-2002, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try removing the front swaybar.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:32 PM
New User

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (Willis)

Geoff, any updates on this? i'm really curious to find out what was going on..

-Xerxes
Old 05-22-2002, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (Xerxes)

i am not an expert but i thought the intermedite shaft is on the drivers side. i stick with the other guys and say swap the tires real quick. could be a bent rim, and egg, who knows.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (CovertFI)

i am not an expert but i thought the intermedite shaft is on the drivers side. i stick with the other guys and say swap the tires real quick. could be a bent rim, and egg, who knows.
read the thread
he tried that.
im curious
lets see geoff what was it?
Old 05-22-2002, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (KAMiN)

Its the bushings from the sway bar.. Must have been installed improperly.. I would recheck all suspension components then do the intermediate shaft as a last resort..
Old 05-22-2002, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well after a long day of working another car, i got a chance to play with my car around 5 pm for a while. A good buddy came over (one of the OG east coast drag honda guys) and swears up and down he knows that feeling - Its a broken axle. I say yeah ive broken axles but they dont exactly feel like that... And its the second "good" axle to be in the car.

Keep in mind they are driveshaftshop axles *BRAND NEW* never on a car, just came out of the box. Also the second set of axles on the car at this point. Take the car for one more ride, then take the front end off again... we run the car in first gear with the wheels drooped then take it apart with the wheels level.

To make a long story short, i ended up having 3 bad axles. We tested another one and that was bad too. They were both brand new, one DSS axle, one was the original honda axle. What are the odds of that happening?

Frank at DSS im sure will take care of me and send me another set as free replacements (hes great like that) but until then i still am in disbelief that i got 3 bad axles. Some luck.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

atleast now you can sleep easy
Old 05-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow! you have the same type of luck as me, bad! too we dont have these type of odds when we play lotto!
Old 05-22-2002, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (lucas569)

jeez
sway bar bushing my ***.
good job
Old 05-23-2002, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my guess would have been a bad motor mount.....
Old 05-23-2002, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (ninesecrx)

****** A man, I need some of thos eaxles too. Damn, hope that doesn't happen to me!

Quick Reply: Solve this vibration riddle and become a good friend of mine !!!! =) (please)