Notices

SOHC turbo questions??

Old 09-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC turbo questions??

i've done some searching and done ALOT of reading forced induction posts.. but im still kinda dazed and confused about turbo set-ups. I've recently bought a 98d16y8 for turbo purposes only, because i figure a d-series turbo would be better than a b16/b18. Ok here is my questions that i'm lost on??

1. Isn't better to have lower compression pistons, when going turbo?
2. Wouldn't it be better to install (figure out turbo fittings) while motor is out of car?
3. When you go turbo, do you always have to run higher octane?
4. What does the wastegate do? I've never understood that
5. Injectors?? i've seen stock, 350, 400, you know where im going what would be reccomended size, if its about how much boost i plan on, polly 10psi daily
6. Finnally, what would be the overall BEST turbo set-up for SOHC, i've heard greddy is the best, but then i've heard a bunch of people like the drag turbo.

Thanks for any responses, Shane
Old 09-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo questions?? (Eibach95Civic)

1. usually, depending on the tuning. Stock d16 compression is fine in my opinion. If I built my z6 I might even bump the compression up a bit to around 9.5:1
2. You can if you want, but it can be done pretty much as easy when the motor is in the car..
3. Yes, it's a good idea. I never run under 92
4. Wastegate vents the exhaust gases before it reaches the turbo to control the specified boost. There's internal and external.
5. 440's in my opinion
6. That's up to you. I ran the greddy for about 4 months. It's a great starter kit, but I want to go bigger so I'm going custom.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo questions?? (5thgencivic)

hell yah man thanks for the info. You say greddy is a good starter kit, would this bump me up to or at least to 200whp, im just looking to reach around 200 horsepower because thats alot for a light weight civic!!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With the greddy kit you will need to run 10+psi to get 200whp. If you get the greddy kit, you basically just need fuel management for that much boost(injectors and hondata or v-afc). I ran 8-9psi for months with the greddy blue box and stock injectors but that was pushing it...
Old 09-01-2003, 02:01 PM

I have an Apexi SOHC turbo kit that's never been used, it would work perfect for you if you're interested. It's a ball bearing turbo, runs 160whp @ 6psi nonintercooled. Add an intercooler and you'd be running 190whp. I also have a Turbo XS boost controller, Apexi twin chamber blow off valve, and Apexi turbo timer I could throw in for the right price. And you don't have to worry about outgrowing the kit too fast, the guy I talked to at Apexi USA before I bought it said it would be good to 25psi (with the right setup of course). Traction would be your only problem. Let me know if you're interested. myke_cox@hotmail.com
Old 09-01-2003, 02:34 PM

Default Re: SOHC turbo questions?? (myke408)

from experience i would have to say peice the turbo kit together yourself...it will save you from having to learn a lesson the hard way like me and alot of other people...
Old 09-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo questions?? (TurboDX)

how much are you wanting to sell that apexi turbo kit for, i just might be interested if not i might have some friends that might be interested in it.. for turbodx, you said you ran into alot of problems, would you care to explain your problems for that if im going in the same direction or whatever i will know im doing something wrong if that makes any sense becuase it didnt to me
Old 09-01-2003, 04:38 PM

Turbodx has a good point, piecing a kit together will take alot longer than just buying something off the shelf. BUT by putting everything together yourself you can get EXACTLY what you want.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC turbo questions?? (Peter North)

i got a greddy kit and its good for 250whp at 15psi..

A friend of mine is doing 211whp at 9psi stock motor, tunning is the key!

if u swear that u dotn go over 200whp then get the gredy kit. but no one here wil believe you unless u dotn have the money to upgrade ur block (sleeves, rods, pistons, labor, stand alone, tunning... if u dotn then get a used greddy kit.

warning: boost is adictive! so watch out. ull get hooked to it

Old 09-01-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Re: SOHC turbo questions?? (kamaleon)

The apex'i kit is nice, but I think +30 HP, just on the intercooler is a little bit overboard... But still, a very, very nice setup!

-PHiZ
Old 09-01-2003, 09:50 PM

Default Re: SOHC turbo questions?? (PHiZ)

It wasn't my dyno. It was a review of the kit in a magazine, I forget which one. SCC maybe?

I paid $2095 for the kit. I've been trying to get $1800 for it. It is new and never used. Make me a reasonable offer and we can talk. I also have a few extras you might want with the kit, i.e. Apexi turbo timer, blow off valve, Turbo XS boost controller, and I have a sweet Moroso 5qt oil pan and pickup if you don't want to drill for the return line. I was kinda going all out 'cause it was supposed to be for my car, but now I need the money to get a house, so the car has to wait. Anyways, if you're interested: myke_cox@hotmail.com
Old 09-01-2003, 10:20 PM

Default Re: SOHC turbo questions?? (PHiZ)

You can check out turbo magazine for the dyno
http://www.turbomagazine.com/t...turbo/

Off To The Dyno Cell
Our testing was performed on APEXi's Dynapack dyno and an APEXi V-AFC was used in the tuning process. Test sessions prior to the development of the turbo kit returned power readings of 110.4 hp and 92.6 lbs-ft of torque in stock trim. With the kit generating its prescribed 6 psi and running through the cat with stock injectors, the test mule was once again at the mercy of the Dynapack. Power jumped to 171.4 hp and peak torque increased to 132.0 lbs-ft. The kit allows the power-hungry to feed their needs to the tune of 61 hp and 39.4 lbs-ft of torque at the wheels. What would the kit produce with the addition of the optional front-mount intercooler? The APEXi GT-spec cooler was grafted in the system and nothing else was changed. There was a 1 psi drop in boost pressure across the intercooler, so the IHI hairdryer provided only 5 psi to the engine. But the test illustrated the power of intercooling because despite the boost drop, the colder charge air netted a 15.4 hp boost to 186.8 hp. Torque also saw an improvement to 141.7 lbs-ft. The logical thing to do would be to turn up the boost pressure and "rescue" that lost pound. This would add even more power to the bottom line. Theoretically, boost could be turned up past 6 psi without the risk of detonation, but this should not be attempted until the fuel system is deemed capable of handling the added demand. This is where the APEXi fuel system upgrade would come into play but this alters the kit to off-road status. We hope to test the all-out version in the future.

The APEXi Civic turbo kit is currently a CARB pending affair with optional components offered for off-road use only. While we are not sure when APEXi will complete the CARB testing procedures, we can report that the kit delivers the goods when you drop the hammer.

Power Tote Board
Test Power Torque Hp Gain Tq Gain

Baseline 110.4 92.6

APEXi Turbo Kit 171.4 132.0 61.0 39.4

APEXi Turbo w/intercooler 186.8 141.7 15.4 9.7

Total Power Increase 76.4 49.1
Old 09-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would deff. do a custom kit. They will outpreform shelf kits any day of the week. (besides full-race)
Old 09-03-2003, 05:02 PM

Your gain, my loss. Kit has to go to buy new house. $1600 best price, you pay shipping. I'm losing $500 on this kit I paid 2095 for. The ball bearing turbo would probably cost about as much as you can have the kit for.
myke_cox@hotmail.com
Old 09-03-2003, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. you dont NEED them
2. it's easier if you need to take out the motor anyway, otherwise it's a waste of time.
3. i've heard of lucky buggas getting away with 87 octane but imo you should run premium.
4. wastegate controls spooling by directing gasses around/away from the turbine.
5. you can use stock injectors with an FMU and a pump to increase fuel pressure, increasing fuel delivery. you can also use big injectors and an AFC to activate double sized injectors at around half the rate.
6. i walked on an identical del sol with the greddy kit and i only have i/e. it's all about the tuning. imo the drag turbo kit is the BEST. 3100 with an intercooler. t3/t4 and the compressor's blingin chrome
Old 09-05-2003, 05:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by myke408 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your gain, my loss. Kit has to go to buy new house. $1600 best price, you pay shipping. I'm losing $500 on this kit I paid 2095 for. The ball bearing turbo would probably cost about as much as you can have the kit for.
myke_cox@hotmail.com
</TD></TR></TABLE>
dude you have 12 posts and all of them are try'n to sell a $1500 kit
well i'm intrested in it so send me pics and refrences to my email.
you have pm