Notices

sohc turbo guy's....I need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sohc turbo guy's....I need help

I am so happy I finally got my d16z6, but it is gonna stay in the garage until its fully built. I need help on what turbo will be best for this motor. It seems that the greddy kits dont put out enough hp. I want to run low 13's in my 95 dx coupe. Anyone getting 13's on there sohc?? Let me know what your setup is, if i can keep a stock bottom end that would be great!
Old 11-14-2002, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo guy's....I need help (yusoslo)

stock bottom end should be fine for 13's. I ran 13.4 on drag radials with drag3 kit and 310 injectors. Paul
Old 11-14-2002, 03:47 PM
New User

going to be hard to do ,but good luck..id try a standard t3 turbo from turbonetics.should make pretty good power.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy the max rev from 2kteg it's only 2300 but you'll need some things still but that will def get you into the low 13's with a driver and drag radials...

get something at least a t3 but a t3/t4 would be perfered.... depending on the trim and stuff
Old 11-14-2002, 04:19 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo guy's....I need help (KoRE)

I'm thinking a t3-t4 will be too big. This will be a street car, and I don't want to deal with that much lag. If I go with a Fmax turbo will I need hondata? THanks for the help though
Old 11-14-2002, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that t3 t4 will not be to big, Hatchblack runs one and i will be allso here in a month or so. What trim are you looking at?

Rob
Old 11-14-2002, 05:29 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo guy's....I need help (rjardy)

i'm pretty sure a greddy 18g is big enough for what you need. contrary to popular belief, that's a pretty good sized turbo. especially for a 1.6 liter sohc. i know the 18g is bigger than my t3.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:45 PM

Go for a Drag gen III. T3/T4 turbonetics, spearco intercooler, vortech fmu, blitz dd BOV,deltagate wastegate, chrome intercooler piping, etc. etc. I just put one in my 99 ex and im running 9lbs of boost on a stock motor with a walboro 255lph in-tank fuel pump. No dyno yet, but this thing pulls hard. I paid $2900 for mine, but i just met this guy that could get them for me for $2700. If u want check out the specs on the kit and if u like i can get it for u. That price for a drag gen III kit is an awesome deal, anyone will agree.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:55 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo guy's....I need help (99sohcturbo)

i'm pretty sure a greddy 18g is big enough for what you need. contrary to popular belief, that's a pretty good sized turbo. especially for a 1.6 liter sohc. i know the 18g is bigger than my t3.
ummm....maybe if he had a DOHC motor, but the SOHC greddy kit is a 15g.

Go for a Drag gen III. T3/T4 turbonetics, spearco intercooler, vortech fmu, blitz dd BOV,deltagate wastegate, chrome intercooler piping, etc. etc. I just put one in my 99 ex and im running 9lbs of boost on a stock motor with a walboro 255lph in-tank fuel pump. No dyno yet, but this thing pulls hard. I paid $2900 for mine, but i just met this guy that could get them for me for $2700. If u want check out the specs on the kit and if u like i can get it for u. That price for a drag gen III kit is an awesome deal, anyone will agree.
For that price you can have a MAXREV kit, get better quallity, better wastegate, and Hondata....now thats a god deal.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:22 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo guy's....I need help (CzanSOHC)

I dont know about all that now. I put up a search for MaxRev kits on google and barely found anything. I went on the maxrev website (www.maxrev.com) and they dont even sell kits, just individual stuff. All I saw on maxrev was some guy selling them in a post on this forum. Yea it was cheap, but what do you expect? A no name turbo kit with piping you'd have to cut yourself. And plus what kind of warrantees can u get? I'd rather buy a kit (which I did) that has a name for itsself as being one of the baddest kits for the buck instead of buying a no name kit that might break in 2 weeks. True i'd rather spend $2700 on a kit with all them goodies but only if i knew for sure it was dependable. After all my car is my baby.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:28 PM

I dont know about all that now. I put up a search for MaxRev kits on google and barely found anything. I went on the maxrev website (www.maxrev.com) and they dont even sell kits, just individual stuff. All I saw on maxrev was some guy selling them in a post on this forum. Yea it was cheap, but what do you expect? A no name turbo kit with piping you'd have to cut yourself. And plus what kind of warrantees can u get? I'd rather buy a kit (which I did) that has a name for itsself as being one of the baddest kits for the buck instead of buying a no name kit that might break in 2 weeks. True i'd rather spend $2700 on a kit with all them goodies but only if i knew for sure it was dependable. After all my car is my baby.

hahaha, you are a noob. MAXREV is very good qaulity, and yes, they do sell turbo kits on there website.

You have a VERY lot to learn before you start spouting off about setups...hmmm hondata vs FMU.....hmmmmm
Old 11-14-2002, 07:37 PM

Post a link for a turbo kit on they're website for a Sohc civic, or even any turbo kit for a civic. I'd like to see it because i could find anything. And who cares if im a "noob" on this site, does that mean u know more than I do? i dont think so. I tell anyone that reads this to pull up a search for "MAXREV" and see what it gets you, the same thing it got me, about 4 links two of which were for the site itself. Now i never said a FMU is better than Hondata, as a matter of fact i know a hondata is better. Just because it has hondata in its kit doesnt make it worth it. I think u got alot to learn, The way u sound it seems like u buy sneakers just because Mike Jordan's pic is on em. gimme a break
Old 11-14-2002, 07:56 PM

http://www.maxrev.com/product.esiml?PID=3

there is your turbo kit. And they do make one for D series, becuase I have one. But I only paid 2100 for mine.

Drag is good, but this a TO good of a deal to pass up.

You get YOUR choice of Specs, TIAL 35mm wastegate...the only drawback is the piping, but i have REVHARD piping so....
Old 11-14-2002, 09:02 PM

hey czansohc, where did u get such a deal on your setup???? And how is your power? This sounds like a setup i want, and i am lookin for ~13.5 et's
Old 11-14-2002, 09:40 PM

you can run 13's on the sohc greddy kit if that's a question you're wondering. If you're block is getting built, just get some decent management and up the boost brah!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:31 AM

I didnt read anything about Hondata being included. The kit on there was also $2,699 plus shipping ( it didnt say anything about free shipping). As amatter of fact it didnt say anything about an FMU at all. I dont know, I still wouldnt trust anything that doesnt have a name for itself on my car. The DIY piping is too much trouble also. Drag III makes kits with everything you need to get 100 hp with the right tuning. Then you can always upgrade and get more out of it. I'm a firm believer of the saying "you cant polish a turd" and it seemd thats what maxrev is trying to do by selling the kits so cheap and throwing in some big name accessories.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:54 AM

this is a very interesting question. I personally do not have a lot of information on theses companies other than apexi and greddy. Maybe if someone has a Drag III kit can add some insight into this topic.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt read anything about Hondata being included. The kit on there was also $2,699 plus shipping ( it didnt say anything about free shipping). As amatter of fact it didnt say anything about an FMU at all. I dont know, I still wouldnt trust anything that doesnt have a name for itself on my car.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=302845

Read that for crying out loud, it's only been a sticky at the top of the F/I forum for the past 2 months. Mavrev is very good stuff, at very good pirces. For the same cost as a DRAG III kit your could have a kit of even better quality WITH a Hondata S200. DRAG III kits only come with that stupid FMU bullshit

The DIY piping is too much trouble also. Drag III makes kits with everything you need to get 100 hp with the right tuning. Then you can always upgrade and get more out of it.
Waaaaaaaaaaaa, I don't wanna break a sweat installing my turbo kit waaaaaaaa. Ugh, if you think everything turbo related is easy and care free you need to push back from the F/I table and go home.

Just for reference I RUN a DRAG III kit, and the piping is hardly ever plug and play. I had to cut and weld a **** load for mine to fit up right. The only kits I've never really heard people complain about the piping on are the Greddy kits. An 18G turbo on a SOHC well make a good bit of power, enough to get this guy into the 13's.

I'm a firm believer of the saying "you cant polish a turd" and it seemd thats what maxrev is trying to do by selling the kits so cheap and throwing in some big name accessories.
You are the turd.

Yusoslo:

Mavrev would be a very good bet for you, they do have a d-seris kit. Check that link I posted ^ there and you can get the low down on what kinda deals they got going on. You have the option of getting the Hondata S200 or S100 with any kit you choose. I'm a firm believer in "DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME", with the proper fuel management you'll be able to squeeze a good bit of power out of your SOHC, and still retain the stock bottom-end if you wish. Contact 2k_ TEG and tell him what you're want to do, i'm sure he'll be able to help set you up, or at least get you pointed in the right direction if you decide not to go with MaxRev.

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 2:27 PM 11/15/2002]