Notices

SOHC Turbo chokes up at 5k :( HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SOHC Turbo chokes up at 5k :( HELP!

i got my car running, its a t3, external wastegate on my stock y7, fmu/missing link setup for now. car feels really strong from full boost to about 5000RPM's, but after that it feels like it dies. my car doesnt smoke, idle funny, throw any codes; im running on the stock fuel pump still.

i noticed my boost gauge is reading a -16 when im at idle, but i can not find a vacuum leak. would this leak be why the car is not in full boost till redline? if anyone has any insight to fix my problem it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fmu and inline fuel pump are best friends, can't have one without the other, and upgrade the other fuel pump also

you might wanna get something better at controlling the fuel, and a good tune
Old 04-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (PrettyLude)

i told you to get that walbro, its the best 100$ investment of your life.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rob!)

you're probably leaning out like crazy. don't get a walbro, get an INLINE high pressure pump, or say goodbye to your motor quickly...
Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: (notoriousB)

why not a walboro? more than half the people in HT running walboro?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (booscivic)

I would say go get it tunned at a dyno or find someone with a wideband and street tune it. There will be alot of ppl saying walbros suck because some ppl have had bad experiances with them taking a **** on them within the first couple days of install or even start up. But there are alot of ppl that also have had good luck with them. I installed one on my friends ek and its still going strong. If you dont want a walbro go find yourself a GSR fuel pump...doesnt flow as much but its OEM upgrade.

And yeah at idle your boost should be in the negative

Modified by illusive at 6:34 PM 4/1/2005
Old 04-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (illusive)

My idle is -16 on the greddy kit with AFC hack.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cee_mon)

im not running any fmu, fuel pump or bigger injector. i got my ecu chipped by jimturret to run the turbo without the extra bolt on. pull great, no detonation, boost til redline.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (booscivic)

Walbro can't handle the high pressure an FMU needs.

Lots of people run walbros, I even run one... but not for FMU setups. They work great with larger injectors.

FMU => high pressure inline pump
Old 04-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ditch the FMU
Old 04-01-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ditch the FMU</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get some injectors. A 255 walbro (been running mine for 2 yrs not a problem) *knock on wood* And get a Hondata or uberdata. And get it tuned. I know I just listed about a $1000 in parts but it will save you about a 1yr in downtime. Trust me do it right the first time.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jason190)

is it a common problem, running a fmu that you will lean out up top? which fuel pump would anyone recomend? id like to keep the fmu until i can get the right stuff to get it tuned with uberdata or something.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (japearl)

-16 at idle probably means that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. My friend recently dynoed his b18b with a fmu and stock injectors running 8psi. He was completely lean at full boost. His afr was in the high 13's and sometimes in the 14's
Old 04-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (dustin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Walbro can't handle the high pressure an FMU needs.

Lots of people run walbros, I even run one... but not for FMU setups. They work great with larger injectors.

FMU =&gt; high pressure inline pump
</TD></TR></TABLE>

explain why mine and many other peoples cars ran fine for over a year on fmu with walbro and stock injectors. i have 130k on my ls motor i ran that setup at 8psi for a year and i just took the turbo off and checked my compression and i have 200 across. people knock fmu all day and walbros but the fact of the matter is i had it on my car with 0 problems as wall as many of my friends cars im sorry i just dont understand why people bad mouth them all day. sure if you wanna run more then 7-8 lbs then fmu wont do what you want. i know im alone on this one so im expecting to get haters but im sorry im not gonna agree that it sucks when it worked for me for so long.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:34 PM

i think it all depends... ive known some people who have been able to run the FMU for a while, actually thats just one guy. The rest have had shitty *** experience with them.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They increase your fuel pressure to stupid and dangerous amounts, that's why we knock them. A real engine management works with your ecu and doesn't have to "trick" any sensors on the car.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They increase your fuel pressure to stupid and dangerous amounts, that's why we knock them. A real engine management works with your ecu and doesn't have to "trick" any sensors on the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not just that but it makes ur oem injectors do more work than they are designed to do, therefore over increasing injector duty cycle, and what if it fails, you just wasted ur investment because of the fmu
Old 04-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

am i better off running a inline fuel pump or buying a walboro?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by japearl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">am i better off running a inline fuel pump or buying a walboro?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you are using the fmu, get the inline one
Old 04-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FMU sucks period. id rather go to a afc hack than that. but regardless i havent seen any car run correct with a FMU and inline pump setup. i tried running a inline with FMU first with stock injectors the car couldnt idle and then when i got it to idle(lowering the fuel pressure) it would still almost die when hitting boost. i made a thread about this b4 also and asked many people they all did suggest a inline over the intank. but when i switched to a intank, 440s and a afc setup the car was able to idle and go into boost with very little breaking up(stupid hi-lo fuel settings). if u dont wanna tune with hondata/neptune james just get a damn afc and go pay jeff evans to tune it on low boost on the AFC, **** FMU period.

btw i have seen people run countless times an ol school method also. dont mean to jack ur thread pearl but what is the advantages of running 310's, intank, FMU and afc? compared to a 440cc, in tank, afc hack setup? i kno i kno real engine management guys but for the guys who dont have obd-1 or dont wanna break the bank
Old 04-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rob! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

explain why mine and many other peoples cars ran fine for over a year on fmu with walbro and stock injectors. i have 130k on my ls motor i ran that setup at 8psi for a year and i just took the turbo off and checked my compression and i have 200 across. people knock fmu all day and walbros but the fact of the matter is i had it on my car with 0 problems as wall as many of my friends cars im sorry i just dont understand why people bad mouth them all day. sure if you wanna run more then 7-8 lbs then fmu wont do what you want. i know im alone on this one so im expecting to get haters but im sorry im not gonna agree that it sucks when it worked for me for so long.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because you are tempting fate? FMU + walbro + driving hard = blown motor. Want me to post the graphs? OK!

Actual numbers can vary. Data in these tables are from Walbro. Numbers are the average of 10 pumps selected at random from the production lines of the GSS242 [190 ltr/h], GSS307 [255 ltr/hr], and GSS340 [high pressure 255].

Now with a 12:1 FMU and 40psi base pressure, you do the math at 8psi of boost. Then check the graph there and let me know if you see any problems.

You can read this thread too:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=118767
Old 04-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bruceHungLO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bruceHungLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FMU sucks period. id rather go to a afc hack than that. but regardless i havent seen any car run correct with a FMU and inline pump setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how could you say that when you know 2 cars that have been running fine for almost a year? the only reason im running fmu is because i havent heard or seen anything bad about it. me and you both know robbo beat that motor to hell, and look at the compression test. i know im new to this and all, but i mean i dont see how both of those cars are still running fine. (even though rob ditched it for a real setup, i dont see whats wrong with it )
Old 04-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by japearl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how could you say that when you know 2 cars that have been running fine for almost a year? the only reason im running fmu is because i havent heard or seen anything bad about it. me and you both know robbo beat that motor to hell, and look at the compression test. i know im new to this and all, but i mean i dont see how both of those cars are still running fine. (even though rob ditched it for a real setup, i dont see whats wrong with it )</TD></TR></TABLE>
granted rob Os motor did last but even he was suprised about it. it all is upon luck and how ur car runs. **** mine didnt last because of small things like waaaayyy too much fuel for my motor(ringland cracked). i have seen cars last on FMU for over a year or so. but even aside from that i have seen alot of FMU cars give b4 the first month is over.

pauly's first turbo setup on his ITR Motor-
another freinds turbo ITR

both on FMU with a fuel pump and both died of cracked ringlands. if i was u james id tune when u can get the funds even uberdata or chrome just so u have some peice of mind.(free programs just need someone to tune it)
Old 04-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bruceHungLO)

The ringlands go on FMU setups usually because with the FMU you are running factory ignition WOT advance at full boost (usually around 30 deg) heh. Couple that with the possibility of randomly leaning out when you fry an injector and uh oh.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dustin)

well i mean i already have the fmu/missing link, isnt it a little to late to go back? i havent had any problems as of right now :knock on wood:

Quick Reply: SOHC Turbo chokes up at 5k :( HELP!